• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do You Believe In Ghosts?

I guess I want to know if we truly end when we die.

I hope not. :(

Obviously I don't have photos or any evidence besides other people in my house experiencing things as well, but I have seen full bodied apparitions, seen things move with no explanation, and I know the things I see aren't my mind playing tricks on me, or "matrixing" in the dark. I've have way too many experiences throughout my entire life to disprove unless I am just bat**** crazy and hallucinating all the time. But for me personally, I've had way too many experiences, and mine aren't like "Oh I think I heard that" or "I THINK I MIGHT have seen something." I have seen and heard and felt things I can't explain other than them being spirits, or demons, or aliens, who knows, but I am 100% sure of the things I have experienced.

Obviously I don't have photos or any evidence besides other people in my house experiencing things as well, but I have seen full bodied apparitions, seen things move with no explanation, and I know the things I see aren't my mind playing tricks on me, or "matrixing" in the dark. I've have way too many experiences throughout my entire life to disprove unless I am just bat**** crazy and hallucinating all the time. But for me personally, I've had way too many experiences, and mine aren't like "Oh I think I heard that" or "I THINK I MIGHT have seen something." I have seen and heard and felt things I can't explain other than them being spirits, or demons, or aliens, who knows, but I am 100% sure of the things I have experienced.

I studied the occult for years, trying to find answers.
I've even done things that I can't believe, yet I'm getting more skeptical as time goes by.

Something woke me up in the early hours of the morning, 3 weeks after dad died, and I woke up to see just the back of him, walking out of my room.

I sat up, and called to him.

I felt a comfort I hadn't felt, just for that day, but it can't have been him that woke me up.
But something did.
I don't remember dreaming, and I almost always remember my dreams.

I studied the occult for years, trying to find answers.
I've even done things that I can't believe, yet I'm getting more skeptical as time goes by.

Something woke me up in the early hours of the morning, 3 weeks after dad died, and I woke up to see just the back of him, walking out of my room.

I sat up, and called to him.

I felt a comfort I hadn't felt, just for that day, but it can't have been him that woke me up.
But something did.
I don't remember dreaming, and I almost always remember my dreams.

That's pretty amazing, and I am glad it was a positive experience. You shouldn't discount it. I'm a big lover of the occult and have done a lot of studying myself, I consider myself a witch, and even have a planchette tattooed on my sternum.

I know a lot of people have experiences with their loved ones after they pass, my mom, who doesn't believe ANY of my experiences had her first experience after a very close family friend of ours passed from cancer, she was woken in the middle of the night by her music box going off in her room and there was a floating large warm glowing light appearing at the foot of her bed, she didn't see a distinct figure in it but she knew it was Carol. She blinked and the music stopped and the light disappeared, and the dogs starting barking, so she knows it was real.

The most profound experience I have had was one night while I was making food for myself in the middle of the night, the only light on was the light coming from the fridge I had open, I was taking out the ingredients from the fridge I wanted and as I turned towards the counter to set them down I saw, very clearly, a man, laying with his face on his hands sitting at my kitchen table, his face was so full of sadness that is seeped into me so deeply that I effected by it for a few days following. I had turned back to the fridge before my brain fully absorbed what I had seen, so I quickly did a double take and he was gone. I remember the details in his face, lit by the fridge light, so much sorrow in his tired, tired eyes, and like I said it effected me for quite some time, even now and every time I think back to it, or mention it, it's like a shard in my heart...

I have no idea who he is, because my experiences aren't personal, I think I am somehow some kind of beacon for them, perhaps with my use of ouija boards and love for the occult since a young age opened me up to them or something. Just because something only happens once, and you don't have loads of experiences doesn't make them any less real. I honestly would think a personal experience would be worth way more than the strangers I encounter. Looking for, and trying to open doors for spirits is usually always a bad idea, because it can go wrong in a lot of ways...which I assume is what you mean by doing things you can't believe. If you ever want to talk about it or anything my inbox is always open. =]

Thank you! ^_^

I think I'd die of fright if I truly saw someone who wasn't there.
I'd think, ok.. my time is up.
This must be death! Lol

People tend to have these experiences when they are in between sleep, and awake.
I get stuck in between, a LOT, and it's a horrid experience.
You can't move, you can see, and you hallucinate.
It's awful.
I was like one of the Elm St. kids at one point.
EATING coffee, to stay awake.

Also, I would dream things, just small unimportant conversations, that happened the NEXT day. O_O

When I was 14, I remember constantly feeling like life was a movie, and I'd already read the script.

I haven't had anything vivid happen for way over a decade.

It makes one feel very aware of their mortality. :(

There are a lot of theories as to what ghosts really are. I do believe in something - I've had experiences I can't explain as just "atmosphere" or that I was dreaming.

I remember a conversation I had with my mother, years ago, where she said she thought maybe time is like a coil, rather than a line. What we see as ghosts are where the coils overlap. Someone from another time is going about their business, and we catch a glimpse. I don't know if that's true, but it makes as much sense as some other theories I've heard.

As for personal experiences, my dad, who is someone who believes what he sees kind of person, has told me that when he was growing up, he used to see a man standing in the back yard, just looking at the house. Then the man would just fade out. He described him to his mother, who said it sounded like her father (who had been killed when she was just a teenager). Dad never felt threatened, it was more like the man was just looking in to check up on them. The weird thing is that years later, after my grandmother sold the house, the people who bought it mentioned seeing the same thing - a man in work clothes standing by the willow tree in the back yard, just looking at the house. He stopped coming, after a few times, maybe because he realized that his family was no longer there.

I once rented a house and my roommate and I both knew that there was a ghost living with us. We would see my cats playing with it, and figured it was the ghost of a cat or small dog. We'd often catch sight of something ducking behind a chair out of the corner of our eyes, it would open and close cupboard doors, or knock books off the shelf. Several times, we would be sitting in the living room and see my cats playing - rolling around with one another, and roll over something that wasn't there. The cat would literally come off the floor as it rolled over, like there was another animal under it. We actually named it Elvis (because we're nerds), and it didn't really bother us.

In my house now (which is where I grew up), I sometimes will be sitting in my chair and the room fills with the smell of lilac. I've always figured it is a female relative, but I'm not sure who. The cats will perk up, but they soon settle down again, so I know it isn't anything bad. It always feels like someone is just peeking in, making sure everything is okay. Then as quickly as it came, it disappears.

As far as I know (and I've checked with my parents), none of my relatives wore lilac perfume, but it is my favorite flower, so that might be what is projected just to make me feel calm. I've never felt threatened, so who knows?

Yes but I don't believe that they really communicate with ghosts on the silly ghost hunter shows on TV.

Yes, I lived in a haunted house as a child and the ghost would be in my room and I'd constantly wake my parents up. Faucets would turn on on their own and doors would slam. It never harmed anyone in my house though, and it would communicate with my dad and try to mess with him for fun. My dad's old house was built on a Native American burial ground near a pond, and now that I'm writing it it sounds super fake, but I remember everything as if it was yesterday.

There are a lot of theories as to what ghosts really are. I do believe in something - I've had experiences I can't explain as just "atmosphere" or that I was dreaming.

I remember a conversation I had with my mother, years ago, where she said she thought maybe time is like a coil, rather than a line. What we see as ghosts are where the coils overlap. Someone from another time is going about their business, and we catch a glimpse. I don't know if that's true, but it makes as much sense as some other theories I've heard.

As for personal experiences, my dad, who is someone who believes what he sees kind of person, has told me that when he was growing up, he used to see a man standing in the back yard, just looking at the house. Then the man would just fade out. He described him to his mother, who said it sounded like her father (who had been killed when she was just a teenager). Dad never felt threatened, it was more like the man was just looking in to check up on them. The weird thing is that years later, after my grandmother sold the house, the people who bought it mentioned seeing the same thing - a man in work clothes standing by the willow tree in the back yard, just looking at the house. He stopped coming, after a few times, maybe because he realized that his family was no longer there.

I once rented a house and my roommate and I both knew that there was a ghost living with us. We would see my cats playing with it, and figured it was the ghost of a cat or small dog. We'd often catch sight of something ducking behind a chair out of the corner of our eyes, it would open and close cupboard doors, or knock books off the shelf. Several times, we would be sitting in the living room and see my cats playing - rolling around with one another, and roll over something that wasn't there. The cat would literally come off the floor as it rolled over, like there was another animal under it. We actually named it Elvis (because we're nerds), and it didn't really bother us.

In my house now (which is where I grew up), I sometimes will be sitting in my chair and the room fills with the smell of lilac. I've always figured it is a female relative, but I'm not sure who. The cats will perk up, but they soon settle down again, so I know it isn't anything bad. It always feels like someone is just peeking in, making sure everything is okay. Then as quickly as it came, it disappears.

As far as I know (and I've checked with my parents), none of my relatives wore lilac perfume, but it is my favorite flower, so that might be what is projected just to make me feel calm. I've never felt threatened, so who knows?

Many years ago I had a rabbit who died.

Afterwards, at night, I'd hear the same sound he made, when he'd hop down the hallway.

In the backyard, I swear I saw him in the grass, and in the kitchen, I'd get a glimpse of him, going under the table, out of the corner of my eye.

I'm a skeptic, but then a friend who didn't know I had a rabbit, said to me as we were at the kitchen table, that he saw a rabbit hop under it.

He said he didn't know I had a rabbit.
I said I don't. He died two weeks ago.

Very strange.

Last edited:
Yes but I don't believe that they really communicate with ghosts on the silly ghost hunter shows on TV.

Yeah I don't believe 99% of the ghost-hunting shows on tv. Like... I still watch a few but I take everything with a pinch of salt.

I do believe there are some kind of spirits but at the same time I'm quite skeptic about all the ghost content that goes around the internet. Believing in the paranormal adds a nice amount of excitement to my empty life. :p

I'm like you where extremely paranoid about it & will do whatever I can to respect them. I've had too many experiences not to believe in them. I know some people may think that there's a scientific explanation to everything, but I've experienced many things where there's no really true explanation as to how it could've happened. I've always been an extremely paranoid person my entire life, so I would never want to do anything that could possibly provoke or disrespect a spirit. I don't know, I know many people don't believe in them, but there's no way I couldn't.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thank you! ^_^

I think I'd die of fright if I truly saw someone who wasn't there.
I'd think, ok.. my time is up.
This must be death! Lol

People tend to have these experiences when they are in between sleep, and awake.
I get stuck in between, a LOT, and it's a horrid experience.
You can't move, you can see, and you hallucinate.
It's awful.
I was like one of the Elm St. kids at one point.
EATING coffee, to stay awake.

Also, I would dream things, just small unimportant conversations, that happened the NEXT day. O_O

When I was 14, I remember constantly feeling like life was a movie, and I'd already read the script.

I haven't had anything vivid happen for way over a decade.

It makes one feel very aware of their mortality. :(

Oh, you've experienced sleep paralysis? That's one of the things I'm most scared of. I've heard from others personally who have experienced it & it sounds extremely terrifying.

I dunno...sleep paralysis may just be nightmares between sleep and reality but I feel like they have something to do with something else.

You dream while you're conscious and unable to move and they're almost always nightmares. None of the weird stuff you see is real though.

This is probably really weird, but since I was a kid I believed that there's a ghost that follows me around and helps me find things I've lost LOL. I'll look and look for something all day long then turn around and find it in a really obvious place, like on top of my bed or dresser. And I'll go "Oh, thanks ghost!" since OBVIOUSLY the only way it got there was a ghost putting it there for me and not that I'm bad at looking for things. Either way, the ghost definitely has my back!

I believe in something like ghosts due to some paranormal experiences I've had (most notably a figurine I had in my house that would move around on it's own when I wasn't looking), but to what extent, I'm not sure.

I'm like you where extremely paranoid about it & will do whatever I can to respect them. I've had too many experiences not to believe in them. I know some people may think that there's a scientific explanation to everything, but I've experienced many things where there's no really true explanation as to how it could've happened. I've always been an extremely paranoid person my entire life, so I would never want to do anything that could possibly provoke or disrespect a spirit. I don't know, I know many people don't believe in them, but there's no way I couldn't.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, you've experienced sleep paralysis? That's one of the things I'm most scared of. I've heard from others personally who have experienced it & it sounds extremely terrifying.

It's the most horrific feeling I've ever had.

The most it happened, was 30 times in one night.
That's when the insomnia kicked in. As you can imagine. :(

It's the most horrific feeling I've ever had.

The most it happened, was 30 times in one night.
That's when the insomnia kicked in. As you can imagine. :(

Oh god, sleep paralysis? I'm already such a paranoid person that I can't sleep just knowing that people have had ghost experiences. I've never had sleep paralysis (I hope to HECK I never do) but If I did I'd freak. My two biggest fears are being unable to breathe and unable to move, and I've heard a lot of times your chest becomes really tight during sleep paralysis so umm? No thanks.

Oh god, sleep paralysis? I'm already such a paranoid person that I can't sleep just knowing that people have had ghost experiences. I've never had sleep paralysis (I hope to HECK I never do) but If I did I'd freak. My two biggest fears are being unable to breathe and unable to move, and I've heard a lot of times your chest becomes really tight during sleep paralysis so umm? No thanks.

Mine too, and that is exactly what happens.
I also have had the most horrifying hallucinations with them, and since your eyes are usually open in this state, you can't look away.

I haven't had any with hallucinations since my late teens.

Last edited:
Back