• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Disappointed: Rover Event Round Two

MopyDream44

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Red Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
Yellow Pansy
White Pansy
Red Lily
White Lily
I've tried many free to start mobile games that focused far too much on getting their users to spend money, which often resulted in a game that was more frustrating than fun. When I heard that Nintendo was adopting the free to start model for Pocket Camp, I was very concerned that it would be the same. A painfully slow and frustrating game that can only be enjoyed if you frequently spend money to make it tolerable. I was so happy when I started playing Pocket Camp because I felt that Nintendo did an excellent job of making a free to start mobile game fun and engaging without having to spend oodles real money. I even decided to buy a few promotional packs ($6 worth) that came with a few bonus items because I felt Nintendo did an amazing job on creating a game that was fair and balanced, and I wanted to support my favorite franchise.

Sadly, I feel that the enjoyment, balance, and fairness that impressed me so much at the beginning has all but disappeared, much like 95% of the butterflies I've attempted to catch during round two of the Rover Event. The catch rate for the winter and winter gold butterflies is abysmal. Even if a person is planting their white dahlias as efficiently as possible, I honestly don't see how anyone will finish the goals for round two of the Rover Event without spending Leaf Tickets. That might not be too bad until you consider the cost of having Lloid catch a butterfly for you (10 Leaf Tickets). Considering 20 Leaf Tickets cost $1 (if you buy in the smallest increment) it could very well cost more money in 10 days for an event than I've spent since I started playing the game. I will continue to hope that I've simply been having horrible luck, but from what I've seen and heard so far, the new catch rate is just as bad for everyone else. Before part two of this event, I probably would have picked up a small promotional package every now and again to continue to support the game; however, I fear this event may just be a preview of what we should expect for future events, and if that's the case I probably won't be spending money in the future, and I may actually walk away from the game entirely. Simply put, I'm disappointed in the turn Pocket Camp has taken.

I'm frustrated with this as well. I sent Nintendo feedback telling them specifically what I find unenjoyable about this second round of the Rover event. Had the second half been structured more like the first half, I wouldn't be complaining; but the spawn and capture rate in this round is awful and off-putting and using leaf tickets to ensure a catch isn't fun or rewarding at all. I enjoy the challenge of making my own catches, and then getting to share my harvest with others, but the way it's set up now has wiped all the fun out of it.

I'm frustrated with this as well. I sent Nintendo feedback telling them specifically what I find unenjoyable about this second round of the Rover event. Had the second half been structured more like the first half, I wouldn't be complaining; but the spawn and capture rate in this round is awful and off-putting and using leaf tickets to ensure a catch isn't fun or rewarding at all. I enjoy the challenge of making my own catches, and then getting to share my harvest with others, but the way it's set up now has wiped all the fun out of it.

How did you submit this feedback? I would like to submit my own because Nintendo does seem to be looking at feedback for Pocket Camp. Perhaps we can make a difference if we all provide constructive criticism for part two of the Rover Event.

When you open the app there is a little menu box in the top left corner of the screen. Click on it and go the button called Customer Support. Clicking on Customer Support takes you to the option of Feedback. There you may type whatever comments you want. I saw on a reddit thread that people are also using Twitter to leave feedback on this very topic, so whichever method is easier, or use both.

I sent them feedback as well very disappointed, no I will not spend my money if it’s being forced like this ��

I left feedback as well. I've only gotten 4 or 5 of the new butterflies and haven't been able to capture any of them. I'm also having bad results with my red dahlias. I think I've caught 2 topaz butterflies today, and I've planted at least 20 red dahlias.

I am having the same problem. I know I will not complete round 2 because I can’t stay glued to the game all day. I was really disappointed when I realized it was 10 leaf tickets PER butterfly. Nope, no thanks. I would have purchased a few bundles of leaf tickets to support Nintendo, but not under these circumstances.

Neat, thanks for bringing this up. I sent some feedback through the app too.

I left Nintendo some feedback via the app and Twitter. It seems like much of the Animal Crossing community is unhappy with the turn the game has taken. I'm not sure if there is anything Nintendo can do for this particular event since it has already been implemented, and increasing the catch rates wouldn't be fair to people who have purchased and spent Leaf Tickets at this point. I am hoping, however, that Nintendo will look at the feedback they are getting to improve events in the future. Leaf Tickets should be a way to speed up an event for those who do not want to wait. They should not be the only way to achieve your goals. Thanks for submitting feedback everyone!

Oh my gosh! I finally got my hands on those white flowers and after they bloom I only got one of those new butterflies to show up and when I went to catch it...it flies aways!

The ticket thing is ridiculous.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous. Planted 20 flowers, 8 butters showed up, caught 2...
It would be better if Nintendo makes exclusive items/furniture and sell them with leaf tickets, instead of doing this frustrating thing

Last edited:
It should have been 5 tickets per capture not 10. Luckily I have a lot saved. If enough people complain maybe they?ll mellow down on the obvious money grab tactics.

...But if every aspect of the game were easy, would it really be fun?

I agree, I do think the flowers should grow faster though.

WORTHWHILE TO NOTE EVERYONE, you only really need to put 20 into gold as the third task reward is a duplicate of rover's mug and the 4th is just leaf tickets. I'm going for the bare minimum at get all rover items and ignore materials at this rate lol

There is one consolation with the poor catch rate. The flower trading feature has essences and building materials.

This is what is keeping me from tossing the game.

I understand your disagreement and I agree this event is tough.

Yet I disagree with any degrading attitude towards Nintendo. No one is forcing you to spend your money on this, nor will you fail in life if you fail to complete this life. You have complete freedom in choosing not to participate if you disagree on the way things are run. I've expected this much from Nintendo from the beginning. I'm surprised they waited this long to introduce it.

Please don't forget that this is a Free-to-Play game. So far we've come to enjoy many special additions which didn't cost us a thing. Tickets were flying in from every direction and all you had to do was make some friends and invite some campers. Many won't agree with my point of view, but we should be happy we're able to play this game. Nintendo could have put ticket prices on a lot more things and they will probably do with the updates that are coming.

If you dislike the game then choose not to play it.
But please don't spread hatred about events you can't complete, just because you feel disadvantaged.

I would like to state that I have spend zero currency on this game, and I don't plan to start now.

Last edited:
Yea I agree, i've spent ?4 on it so I could buy rover's camper because I feel it's worth that to get the item. I'd be happy to spend money in this game if I really wanted something that was out of my reach because I feel the game is 'worth' that. Think of it this way, it's like they're giving you the game for free and then you pay slowly later if you really want everything, if you don't you can still play it but it's harder and you need to put more effort but by no rights should nintendo give you everything easily. Think of all the hard work that went into making this game.

I agree that the second half of this event is not fun at all. Being able to share butterflies was so fun before. Now with the catch rates so poor it is really hard to share butterflies, except with a few people since so few are caught. If they changed it so the seeds were easier to get and they grew faster, like in two hours then the poor catch rate would balance out. The way it is now even playing as much as I can I won't get all the rewards. I don't have extra funds to spend on leaf tickets either. I would consider using Lloyd if it was 10 tickets for all the butterflies in the garden. 10 tickets for one butterfly is not going to work.

Up until now I have enjoyed the game. It does make me really want a new full version animal crossing for the wii switch though. I do understand that being an app on the phone it is limited with what they can do so I was enjoying it, until the second half of the butterfly event came out.

The catch rate for this round is truly abysmal... I don't have the time to play 24/7... So I guess I won't get all the rover items. I really just want the mug, anyway, but still. It looks like Nintendo really wants us to use those leaf tickets! I have no problem using them, I have over 600, but even if I asked Lloid to work his magic with every catch, I still wouldn't have enough time to complete this event.

I am confused as to why one difficult event is making so many people turn against the game. Really? One event isn't going as you'd like and now you don't like Pocket Camp at all? Suddenly Nintendo is the devil? LOL

It's just a game, folks. I think Nintendo is doing a great job with it. For a free-to-play game to be updated so often, have so many events, updates and response to fans suggestions is amazing in my opinion.

Back