• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Disappointed: Rover Event Round Two

...But if every aspect of the game were easy, would it really be fun?

Yes! In fact, Animal Crossing has built an entire, and might I add very successful, franchise out of a game that is, at it's core, not challenging. Animal Crossing, throughout all of the titles I've played, has never been a hard game, yet it is the game I've probably spent the most time playing. I sunk 800 hours into New Leaf last I checked, and that was a long while ago. None of the AC games that I have played and loved have caused this level of frustration. I have other games that are challenging that I love, and I play them when I'm looking for that challenge. I get absorbed in Animal Crossing because it is what I play when I want to relax. This is my favorite franchise, and it is upsetting when a change in that franchise can shift my emotions from fun and soothing to urgent and frustration. Obviously everyone is going to have differing opinions, but friends I've made through Animal Crossing who are hardcore fans of the game, all seem to be mirroring my feelings, and I've seen this frustration echoed across various Animal Crossing groups. That tells me that Nintendo, in this case, has made a mistake with this particular event, and I suspect if the whole game felt like this, far fewer people would be playing it.

Over the years I have come to believe that Nintendo truly wants to give its customers a say and therefore welcomes all feedback. Without customer base returning feedback on product, how else will a company know how far to push and which direction to go? It seems like constructive feedback from all points of view can only improve what Nintendo is doing. There's a reason I've been so loyal for three decades and will continue to be so. I have sent them feedback, both good and bad, many times - it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the product just because I see something that needs to be brought to their attention. I greatly appreciate the fact that they have always offered the opportunity for such feedback.

I understand your disagreement and I agree this event is tough.

Yet I disagree with any degrading attitude towards Nintendo. No one is forcing you to spend your money on this, nor will you fail in life if you fail to complete this life. You have complete freedom in choosing not to participate if you disagree on the way things are run. I've expected this much from Nintendo from the beginning. I'm surprised they waited this long to introduce it.

Please don't forget that this is a Free-to-Play game. So far we've come to enjoy many special additions which didn't cost us a thing. Tickets were flying in from every direction and all you had to do was make some friends and invite some campers. Many won't agree with my point of view, but we should be happy we're able to play this game. Nintendo could have put ticket prices on a lot more things and they will probably do with the updates that are coming.

If you dislike the game then choose not to play it.
But please don't spread hatred about events you can't complete, just because you feel disadvantaged.

I would like to state that I have spend zero currency on this game, and I don't plan to start now.

I'm sorry but I completely fail to see how having an opinion on an event in a mobile game is degrading Nintendo or spreading hatred. There is a very big difference between degrading and/or spreading hate and having an opinion and providing constructive criticism. Please read my original post again, and you will find that I said I supported Nintendo because I felt they did an amazing job on Pocket Camp. Does this mean that every opinion I form has to be praising Nintendo, and if I'm not, does that equate degradation and hatred for the company? I'm sorry, but that's just not how things work.

I have been a Nintendo fan since I was very young. I literally grew up with Nintendo, and still have most of my old consoles and games despite the fact that I haven't played them for years because they mean a lot to me. The fact that I am a Nintendo fan and an Animal Crossing fan does not mean that every opinion I form about both Nintendo and Animal Crossing has to be one of praise. It is ok to take a more critical look at the games we love and provide constructive criticism. Nintendo has even taken such constructive feedback to implement changes in Pocket Camp already. Some of the things we will be getting literally wouldn't exist without feedback from their community. Also, to clarify, I don't feel disadvantaged, I can buy tickets whenever I would like to, but again, the fact that I can afford tickets doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on an aspect of the game. Finally, I know I don't have to play the game, and I may choose to stop playing at some point; however, this fact also does not mean I can't have an opinion about the game. I appreciate that you have a different opinion/outlook on this matter, but please don't accuse me of spreading hatred for simply having an opinion.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Over the years I have come to believe that Nintendo truly wants to give its customers a say and therefore welcomes all feedback. Without customer base returning feedback on product, how else will a company know how far to push and which direction to go? It seems like constructive feedback from all points of view can only improve what Nintendo is doing. There's a reason I've been so loyal for three decades and will continue to be so. I have sent them feedback, both good and bad, many times - it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the product just because I see something that needs to be brought to their attention. I greatly appreciate the fact that they have always offered the opportunity for such feedback.

I agree. Nintendo not only seems to welcome feedback, but as I've said already, they are already implementing changes based on the feedback the community has provided. Am I happy with the Rover Event (part two specifically)? No, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy other aspects of Pocket Camp. I've also left feedback for Nintendo that is both good and bad, and I am still a Nintendo fan, and I will continue to be a fan and enjoy my Nintendo games even if I have an opinion that isn't positive every now and again. I'm already enjoying the clothing update that launched today, and I am looking forward to many of the upcoming features Nintendo has decided to add based on feedback from the community.

Yes! In fact, Animal Crossing has built an entire, and might I add very successful, franchise out of a game that is, at it's core, not challenging. Animal Crossing, throughout all of the titles I've played, has never been a hard game, yet it is the game I've probably spent the most time playing.

I totally agree with this -- I've been playing AC since the first US version and it's NEVER been this frustrating. The idea of having to struggle to beat a deadline is pretty much the opposite of everything I like about the series.

I sent them feedback through the app as well -- and I let them know that while I have spent money in the game and will again in the future, spending money to catch butterflies that were a lot of work to get in the first place was not happening. I hope that they will bring the Rover items back again in a future event for us to finish collecting them.

I have 40 winter butterflies and 26 gold. I havnt spent a single leaf ticket, and the only thing Ive done to speed things up was save the 300 plant food from flower trading on round 1 and 4 calling cards and 4 request tickets I had at the beginning of the event to get a head start.

I know for a fact that Id be struggling more were it not for 5 or 6 excellent friends though. Which to me has been the most fun part of the event by far: finding out that friends I liked a lot before hold no interest to me anymore, and friends I never looked twice at and figured for just being market box customers pleasantly surprising me.

I haven't spent much time worrying about getting all the items out of an event; it just doesn't seem worth it or possible. But at least for the holiday ones I got to craft the stuff I actually liked. This one there's maybe a few things that are just going to take too many butterflies, and no matter what I do, lately I'm coming back (I guess not soon enough?) to one entire patch of flowers needing watering. I guess I don't have enough active friends.

I’ve found this last task stressful too. I also find aspects of the game in general slightly stressful because I get focused on something and I need patience to obtain it. I decided that I would not buy leaf tickets so I have to juggle my wants based on the tickets I earn. Overall I have to say I really am pleasantly surprised how much I enjoy having the structure that this version of the game supplies. I loved NL and the Wii city folk was my life for over a year! But I love this game’s structure. I also really love the social aspect because apart from the players I add from here who I could commmunicate out of the game with, it’s such a benign pleasant almost social interaction. (Not to say that I don’t love to chat on here with friends in the game.) I rarely feel pressured or bothered by my “friends” although I do strive to be a good friend by being thoughtful with my market box and remembering to check for quarry requests during my game. Overall I agree that this task in particular has the avid collectors (of which we are many in this franchise) looking at failing in obtaining in game collectibles which is disappointing for us and dampens our enjoyment.

Last edited:
I haven't spent much time worrying about getting all the items out of an event; it just doesn't seem worth it or possible. But at least for the holiday ones I got to craft the stuff I actually liked. This one there's maybe a few things that are just going to take too many butterflies, and no matter what I do, lately I'm coming back (I guess not soon enough?) to one entire patch of flowers needing watering. I guess I don't have enough active friends.

So far with the other events, the Christmas and New Years events the items were very easy for me to get all of, but this event is far more challenging than those, I was able to make everything, plus doubles/triples of things I wanted more than one of, but this event I am having trouble getting even one of each item. I am not a huge "cataloger" or an "I need one of everything" kind of person, I was just able to get the complete sets with my normal playing, and now that I want certain things that are only attainable by doing EVERYTHING up until that point it kind of sucks, I would honestly have much preferred if it was done in a similar trade in manner, and that you could save up your butterflies for only the items you want from Rover, I would have been stoked with that, cause there are quite a few items I don't see myself using even.

I don't really like Rover so I haven't really been trying in this event. I just give butterflies I find to friends. The only item that is kind of funny is the Rover cup, but it doesn't tell you which goal gives you what item so I really don't feel like trying for it.

I don't really like Rover so I haven't really been trying in this event. I just give butterflies I find to friends. The only item that is kind of funny is the Rover cup, but it doesn't tell you which goal gives you what item so I really don't feel like trying for it.

The goals for each item are listed. When you enter the garden there's a pop up box at the bottom of the screen. Click on Event Info, and the goals are under the tab called In Progress. For the mug you need either 30 Winter or 30 Gold Winter butterflies. And kudos for sharing your butterflies with your friends even though you're not so into the event, I'm sure your generousity is appreciated :)

The goals for each item are listed. When you enter the garden there's a pop up box at the bottom of the screen. Click on Event Info, and the goals are under the tab called In Progress. For the mug you need either 30 Winter or 30 Gold Winter butterflies. And kudos for sharing your butterflies with your friends even though you're not so into the event, I'm sure your generousity is appreciated :)

Oh thanks. I didn't see that before, but I might have been looking in the wrong menu.

I agree that the first round was much more enjoyable. This second round, it is not only more difficult to get the white flower seeds, the spawn rate is less and the capture rate is terrible. I would love to share butterflies with others, but I'm hardly catching any now. And I refuse to spend 10 leaf tickets per butterfly to have Lloid get them. That is a bit excessive.

Today I seem to be having a much better success with yield and capture rate. I very much think it is more than possible to complete this task in the time allotted! Good luck everyone!

In my opinion replanting will earn you more butterflies in long term. Just keep in mind to water them after 2 to 3 hours, or get a friend to do it for you.
I'm already enjoying my first mug because of this method. :p

Last edited:
this event is real bs.. I plant 20 white seeds of which only 5 spawn winter butterflys of which i catch 1.. when my friends gift me butterflys I catch 0-2 .. its not like I need 30 for that friggin mug. I'm really tired of doing requests to get more seeds. will probably quit the event if the catch rates don't start getting better soon.

I'm upset on how many butterflies you need to unlock FURNITURE. I don't really care about the crafting materials yet. Because so many of the rewards are crafting materials there is no chance I am even going to finish any challenges with furniture by the time the event is over.

This game went from a fun distraction to a boring chore with the second half of this event. I have 100s of blue and red seeds but can't keep enough white ones to grow enough to get enough winter butterflies. Plus the ones I receive I can't catch anyway. I don't even care for the items, but I like participating, and I feel like I can't even participate without spending leaf tickets. I play this game far too much to be unable to complete these tasks without spending real money. I was really happy the way the Christmas and New Year's events were handled as I was able to get everything just by playing the way I like. I'm not surprised Nintendo is moving in this direction, but if this is the way things are going, I won't be playing much longer.

I'm still plugging away at this. I broke down and used some of my bonus leaf tickets which I had accumulated, not so much to meet the goals, but simply to be able to make a few catches to return to my friends. I felt that at least was a less mercenary way to "spend" the tickets. There's no way I can afford to spend irl money on this type of thing, so I'm glad we've been able to earn leaf tickets in-game, but yeesh, this second half has been much less enjoyable than the first half due to low spawn and catch rates. Although I'll admit it has been nice to see I have a few very dependable in-game friends and my hope is to be the same to them.

I'm still plugging away at this. I broke down and used some of my bonus leaf tickets which I had accumulated, not so much to meet the goals, but simply to be able to make a few catches to return to my friends. I felt that at least was a less mercenary way to "spend" the tickets. There's no way I can afford to spend irl money on this type of thing, so I'm glad we've been able to earn leaf tickets in-game, but yeesh, this second half has been much less enjoyable than the first half due to low spawn and catch rates. Although I'll admit it has been nice to see I have a few very dependable in-game friends and my hope is to be the same to them.

I’m going to have to spend the leaf tickets too because I’m feeling really bad about getting three or four butterflies from my kind friends and consistently catching none to give back! I know I’m a bad friend because I won’t plant out my entire garden with dahlias to have a chance to harvest more but it took a lot of work cross pollinating to get my rare tulips and pansies and I just can’t pull them up knowing that I don’t have seeds to replace them.

I’m going to have to spend the leaf tickets too because I’m feeling really bad about getting three or four butterflies from my kind friends and consistently catching none to give back! I know I’m a bad friend because I won’t plant out my entire garden with dahlias to have a chance to harvest more but it took a lot of work cross pollinating to get my rare tulips and pansies and I just can’t pull them up knowing that I don’t have seeds to replace them.

I kept my rare tulips and pansies too! I only have had half my garden growing with the new flowers for butterfly spawning, but I've had many friends come by to cross-pollinate so it seems they appreciate that too. They seem to be trying for the shirts and furniture from those flowers, so I bet they're happy some people left the older garden flowers up.

Edit: I think one of the most amazing things about this event is how I know none of these in-game friends irl, we've not made plans about gardening and stuff, yet we have all stuck together to get through this. :)

Last edited:
Back