• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendo Labo

So cardboard huh? Nintendo is really skimping out on the quality these days. :p

I got an email about this yesterday. Seems like a really expensive game for some cardboard. How long would it even last before some of the pieces broke? Especially the robot that you are supposed to move around in.

So thats what they were “hyping” up... I honestly wouldn’t get it. Doesn’t seem very appealing to me. Plus knowing my son and DIYS/build-it-yourself kits he ends up just taking it apart and looses the pieces. My husband, on the other hand, LOVES build-it-yourself kits and what not. Using the excuse of “it’s for our son! It’ll be a great bonding experience!” *eyeroll* He’s said that about all the car models we’ve gotten in the past and all the others. Where do they end up?? IN THE TRASH! Why? Because momma bear (that’s me c: ) HATES seeing random pieces of a model scattered around the house and then seeing the kit taken apart and both my husband and son lose complete interest in it! Like come on!! It’s always the same thing.
Husband: Look! It’s a new police car model! I’m going to get it.
Me: no -.- it’s going to end up in the trash like the rest.
Husband: no this time is different! He will love it!
*Later that week*
TRASH!

Ughhhh.. it’s a major pet peeve of mine. >.> then he tries to compare it to my books. “Well, you buy so many and I don’t see you reading them” .-. Maybe because I’ve already finished the book and it’s not apart of a series. Or you know, it’s manga where they keep making more and I know how much my hubby dislikes when I ask for more books.. or it’s cause he’s never home when I read them again! Like dammit! XD (he works from 6 am to 5pm on weekdays only. Thank you military for letting him have weekends!) don’t get me wrong I love my husband and son. But Im tired of all these kits e.e I will definitely make sure my husband doesn’t see this e.e

I'm going to buy it and not open it because I have a very strong feeling it'll flop. And if it doesn't then I'll just open it and use it lol

it's nintendo so I'm gonna place my bets and say that even though it's cardboard it's gonna be high quality cardboard

To be honest, it sounds interesting, especially since it's something what most people did not
expect from Nintendo. It wouldn't surprise me if it becomes popular one day.

Cardboard.

Yeah.
That makes me want to buy the Switch, and smack myself in the face with it.

I'm over-excited.. Ya...y.
Cardboard.

CARDBOARD.

This isn't really happening. O_O

I hope it comes with instructions on how to build a cardboard coffin, so folks can bury Labo in it. ^_^

Last edited:
With the pieces that you actually house parts of the switch in, you'll have to open and close and re-open and re-close them over and over again when you use it, pulling the pieces out. And I mean, that's going to wear/break soooo easily... just with my experience with boxes that have insert-able tabs, they almost always tear when you're trying to pull them back out, so it's going to last, what? All of one use? And then it's going in the trash or getting covered in tape to be usable again, which, then after removing the tape will rip it up more... like it's not going to last at all, and with the price tag they're putting on it, it better come with like unlimited cardboard accessories... cause it's going to break in no time flat.

I genuinely don't understand the hate on this? I think it's fricking great and inventive and puts good use to stuff, like the Infrared, in the joycon in a way only Nintendo would do?

I just feel like people are ****ting on it cause it's not animal crossing or smash or something.

As a kid I'd love making stuff so I'm just like just cause you wouldn't use it doesn't mean some kids out there wouldn't?

Last edited:
I think there are a different definition of "toys" and "games" today compared to when we were young, at least people my age and slightly younger (and of course older, but yeah that is kinda obvious). But yeah if it can actually engage really young kids that only sit on their parents' pads and phones, then it's good. But yeah if they expect their target audience to just jump at it, nah.

Whilst its still early in the year, it kinda feels like they blew out all their big name games in the first year and now its just....crap. Like last year, every month pretty much there was a new big name game like odyssey, fe warriors, arms, splatoon 2, botw, etc etc etc. and now we get....this. im happy to get more third party and indie support for the switch its just... theyre kinda putting their target audience a little to low? the ppl who got introduced with the wii have grown up lol

- - - Post Merge - - -

LMAO THE WIIU TAB GOT REPLACED WITH NINTENDO LABO
0ae9dda7583fbbd2acaf0c7f3997ef82.png

THE WIIU GOT REPLACED BY LITERAL CARDBOARD
While it is strange labo is there.. the Wii u lost support a year ago so it makes sense that it's not there anymore..

- - - Post Merge - - -

When I was 12 or 13, I built a very complicated 3D puzzle of a ship, on my own, without instructions. I don't think we are giving kids enough credit here. Obviously a 6 year old might need help from their parents but a 10 year old could easily build this themselves since there's actual video instructions. Not every kid is glued to an iPad. There are kids who love science and engineering and making stuff and being creative. That's who this is for. I'm kind of surprised that there's so much hate for Nintendo Labo. Somehow, I feel as though it's just because this wasn't an Animal Crossing announcement and nothing else could have been good enough to have been announced instead of that. I, for one, know that I would have absolutely LOVED this as a kid, and I was the kind of kid who took really good care of my things. Kids aren't all mindless brats, lol. So I'm glad Nintendo thought this up, because it shows that they aren't underestimating children and they are choosing to challenge their creativity.

That being said, I do have some concerns with how well it actually works. If this works 100% perfectly, I think it will be a hit, even for the price. If it's glitchy or the games aren't too fun, then it needs a price drop so that people can still enjoy building and customising the things, without caring for the actual software. Either way, I like this idea and I'm curious where this goes.
You just perfectly hit on the point Nintendo is trying to ( sell ) make!

Either way I may be interested in one of these.. We're actually very nice to our fragiles so why not? ( Well except that prince point :D )

I think they're pretty cool actually. I don't think I would buy one (not that I even have a switch :cries: ) but I think a lot of kids would be really interested in it.

Last edited:
I was going to wait until Animal Crossing was announced before I bought the Switch. Then I saw the LABO trailer. I showed it to my husband when he got home. We looked at each other and went, wow, that's brilliant. Then we ordered the Switch and preordered the LABO set. (No, it's not for our kid, who's 24 and obsessed with chess. It's for us. We're ridiculously excited. :blush: )

It looks hella dumb to me, ngl. $80 for cardboard. Yeah I know there's a game with it but it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I could see how some kids may be interested in it, but I know my younger self certainly wouldn't have been. From a business perspective, though, I can see why Nintendo is doing this - presumably it's very low cost to manufacture this for a lot of profit, and this may pave the way for more advanced concepts in the future. Essentially Nintendo is getting a ton of R&D information very inexpensively.

I've already had my joycon analog stick get mysteriously dislodged while I was just casually walking around in BOTW. I have been extremely careful with my Switch ever since I realized how fragile it must be to break the darn analog stick by barely even touching it. I freaked out when I found out I had to spend $40 for just the left joycon... really freaked out.

What I'm trying to get at is... all this moving the Switch parts around on nothing but a cardboard box looks really dangerous, it was painful to watch.

Last edited:
I've already had my joycon analog stick get mysteriously dislodged while I was just casually walking around in BOTW. I have been extremely careful with my Switch ever since I realized how fragile it must be to break the darn analog stick by barely even touching it. I freaked out when I found out I had to spend $40 for just the left joycon... really freaked out.

What I'm trying to get at is... all this moving the Switch parts around on nothing but a cardboard box looks really dangerous, it was painful to watch.
this joy in problem is probably just you, I've never experienced this problem before.

Just watched the labo verity kit and robot kit video and it looks pretty cool! Especially the motocross/racing-game one!

On the topic of fragile, I'd only be worried about the ro-bit.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Just watched the labo verity kit and robot kit video and it looks pretty cool! Especially the motocross/racing-game one!

On the topic of fragile, I'd only be worried about the ro-bit.

Back