• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendo Labo

I have no idea what to think of Nintendo anymore. To think they are spending money to “design” cardboard building kits to work with switches. Because we all know, every kid dreams of fishing on their switch pad with a joy con attached to an extendable cardboard fishing pole.

I mean, it could be a cute gimmick in a switch AC series game, though it may just be too gimmicky from what I’ve seen. I think this will be one of those things, that never really takes off. 50 years from now sealed official nintendo cardboard labo kits will go for $100 on ebay, for “collection” purposes since they aren’t stained/broken/chewed on. Or it could be $5 in a thirfty store like Playstation Move. Only time will tell lol.

Last edited:
I can't believe this is an actual thing that got approved lmao and $80 is way too much for something catering to kids.

It seems too pricey to me (at least for plain old cardboard and not something heavier or sturdier) but it looks awesome. If I had a Switch I would think about picking one of them up!

I have no idea what to think of Nintendo anymore. To think they are spending money to “design” cardboard building kits to work with switches. Because we all know, every kid dreams of fishing on their switch pad with a joy con attached to an extendable cardboard fishing pole.

I mean, it could be a cute gimmick in a switch AC series game, though it may just be too gimmicky from what I’ve seen. I think this will be one of those things, that never really takes off. 50 years from now sealed official nintendo cardboard labo kits will go for $100 on ebay, for “collection” purposes since they aren’t stained/broken/chewed on. Or it could be $5 in a thirfty store like Playstation Move. Only time will tell lol
Y'all prob don't know that Nintendo has always been really gimmicky and innovative since before they were even a game company. Does anyone remember those stupid accessories made for the NES? The Roll n Rocker, the Powerglove, the Speedboard????? (I think the speedboard was prob the stupidest thing they ever slapped their seal of quality on). Also don't forget all those wackt Game Boy addons, some of which didnt even work at all! And what about that gimmicky Virtual Boy console, Or the 64DD that they pushed back 4 years and lead to become a failure?

This doesn't seem like a gimmick to me, I actually thought it looked pretty neat! I'm sure it works a hell-of-a-lot better than the roll n rocker ever did.

I'm impressed on how the cardboard models put the internal capabilities of the Joy-Cons to such ingenious usage, to the point of accurately mimicking their intended functions. For that "gimmick" alone, I'm looking forward to how the game itself shapes up to be. That being said, I hope it'll end up being a substantial product rather than just being there for the sake of showcasing the Joy-Cons capabilities.

I'll just copy/paste the Youtube comment I made on the trailer:

"I can see schools using this. I remember in grade school we learned about robotics/engineering with special K'nex kits, this seems to be of that ilk."

I can't imagine parents buying this for young kids to work on at home without the proper supervision. They'll bend the cardboard in all the wrong places, tear off parts, and have a barely functional creasy mess by the time they finish assembling it.
However, in the right environment, such as a classroom, where a Labo kit is distributed to small groups of students, and a teacher walking around walking the class through each step, explaining how each project works and the physics/engineering/programming behind it, it can make for a really fun learning experience that can get kids excited about STEM.

Outside of that scenario, I think it's pretty stupid, lol.

I've not had time to watch the video yet, but I'm not understanding all the hate. It looks like a pretty cool concept from what I've seen so far, and if I didn't like it, I just wouldn't buy it, simple. Maybe my opinion will change later though.

I've not had time to watch the video yet, but I'm not understanding all the hate. It looks like a pretty cool concept from what I've seen so far, and if I didn't like it, I just wouldn't buy it, simple. Maybe my opinion will change later though.

The hate might be from the sticker shock from interactive cardboard.

Nintendo : Nintendo labo is for kids!
Adult : I don't want it!
Nintendo : Its fine! Its for kids!
Adult: But that's cardboard! Ew!
Nintendo: It's for kids.
Adult: But how is it for me?

(yes i copied a tweet) the hate this thing is getting is so stupid , its just a kids thing and thats it , dont like it dont buy it

(yes i copied a tweet) the hate this thing is getting is so stupid , its just a kids thing and thats it , dont like it dont buy it
see i feel like thats my problem wth it ngl? like
- what kid is actually gonna build it correctly tbh.
- the parents will often end up building the whole god damned thing
- the kid will play with it once and then never touch it again
- its ****ing cardboard, meaning theyre gonna step on it, the pet will eat it, grandad will put it in the recycling by mistake, etc etc etc etc

then it comes to the engineering. its just strings and cardboard. thats not gonna work. the strings will pull through the cardboard, and if its a kid holding it, the handles and whatever are gonna be crushed. also who the **** is onna stick their switch in a box and STEP on it?

and then finally, the price

$160 for both sets.
if you buy one kit, you have to buy another for the robot, including a whole g ame that literally just includes the robot
$70 variety pack, $80 robot, $10 sticker pack, $160.

i mean i get we're not its target audience but. wrow.
What kid has $70 for this plus the Switch?

I'm impressed on how the cardboard models put the internal capabilities of the Joy-Cons to such ingenious usage, to the point of accurately mimicking their intended functions. For that "gimmick" alone, I'm looking forward to how the game itself shapes up to be. That being said, I hope it'll end up being a substantial product rather than just being there for the sake of showcasing the Joy-Cons capabilities.

The RC Car being driven by HD Rumble is kind of fascinating. Wondering how well that would really work though.

I have no interest in this otherwise.

If 1 2 Switch can sell over a million then this (both literal and figurative) garbage will sell well

^ this p much

people getting salty over a thing not even aimmed at them all because it ain't smash/animal crossing. Its sad really. Its like nintendo cant make games for children anymore without adults getting peeved. i like the idea and find it cute, tho i sadly think im too old for it. The price is kinda high for the kits too. But then again this is for kids and kids at heart lmao i can see some older people buying this,
people need too chill out a bit damn...

Some of those contraptions are really intricate with a lot of moving parts. Kids tend to play rough, especially with something that can be considered competitive, like fishing.
I can’t wait to see how well a cardboard fishing pole holds up after a few uses. I think the cardboard is what’s putting a lot of people off. If it was made with a more sturdy biodegradable material, it’d be more widely accepted. Unlike Legos or K’Nex, Nintendo Labo is pretty much a one time thing, other than the games you can play with it (again brings up the question of durability, how much use can a child get from it before it starts to fall apart). Those are my main concerns, I still think the best place for Nintendo Labo is at school for fun class projects.

But maybe the cardboard will hold up, hopefully that’s the case.

Read up on it just now.. Not really interested in the console in general for now as it is and .. while I might get why they wanna incorporate learning and something more than just a "video game" I.. yeah indeed think people will just ask their parents to build it if they are bad at the stuff...

ahaha classic ninty nobody asked for this man but i find the whole concept charming in a way

When I was 12 or 13, I built a very complicated 3D puzzle of a ship, on my own, without instructions. I don't think we are giving kids enough credit here. Obviously a 6 year old might need help from their parents but a 10 year old could easily build this themselves since there's actual video instructions. Not every kid is glued to an iPad. There are kids who love science and engineering and making stuff and being creative. That's who this is for. I'm kind of surprised that there's so much hate for Nintendo Labo. Somehow, I feel as though it's just because this wasn't an Animal Crossing announcement and nothing else could have been good enough to have been announced instead of that. I, for one, know that I would have absolutely LOVED this as a kid, and I was the kind of kid who took really good care of my things. Kids aren't all mindless brats, lol. So I'm glad Nintendo thought this up, because it shows that they aren't underestimating children and they are choosing to challenge their creativity.

That being said, I do have some concerns with how well it actually works. If this works 100% perfectly, I think it will be a hit, even for the price. If it's glitchy or the games aren't too fun, then it needs a price drop so that people can still enjoy building and customising the things, without caring for the actual software. Either way, I like this idea and I'm curious where this goes.

It seems like a neat thing for children, but I mean, I'd rather have ya know, nicely made plastic accessories not crappy cardboard ones that will fall apart really easily with little wear... =/

Back