• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How do you keep your game interesting?

Kristenn

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1517-7342-3324
What things do you do to keep yourself motivated to keep playing over the years?? I'm curious since I go through stages of never playing it to always playing it.

Re-landscape things.
Boot villagers out and move new ones in.
Redecorate the house. ^_^

Personally I'm not very specific with how I like my town situated so landscaping and changing things around often keeps me interested. I thought I was gonna run out of things to do once i paid off my house but in fact I now need to figure out how to decorate all my rooms! But sometimes taking a break is necessary.

I have two towns.. So that keeps things interesting for me personally. One town, I don't care as much about but I naturally got Ankha, Zucker and Tangy so I still play there a lot because Tangy is always pinging me for PWP.
The second town, I'm working towards the Golden set and Gracies shop while simultaneously landscaping and laying paths.
The second town seems huge compared to the first, though I'm not even sure that's possible...
I forgot to add: trading here on the forums and meeting new people also keeps me very interested because there's always something new to do

Last edited:
I have two towns.. So that keeps things interesting for me personally. One town, I don't care as much about but I naturally got Ankha, Zucker and Tangy so I still play there a lot because Tangy is always pinging me for PWP.
The second town, I'm working towards the Golden set and Gracies shop while simultaneously landscaping and laying paths.
The second town seems huge compared to the first, though I'm not even sure that's possible...
I forgot to add: trading here on the forums and meeting new people also keeps me very interested because there's always something new to do

I have something similar going on, however I'm thinking about just selling out all my items in my first town and deleting it... Maybe starting a new town. Maybe cycling? I don't know for sure.

My main motivation is that I have a bunch of interior design ideas and I like collecting items to accomplish them!

I make up little backstories for my villagers and little stories about what they do in town together so I don't get bored of them lmaoo. I also keep finding new goals to accomplish and work on them one at a time.

This is what I did to keep myself coming back since I don't want to change anything too much in my first town. I hate change and get too comfortable with how I put things so it's nice having another town to start fresh with :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I make up little backstories for my villagers and little stories about what they do in town together so I don't get bored of them lmaoo. I also keep finding new goals to accomplish and work on them one at a time.

I love that! I try to do the same with the backstories!! Sometimes it's hard when they all say the same things though....

I am having some trouble too. I?ve reset several times and then I was entertained for a few days, then abandoned town for months, and when I open it I feel no connection to it at all. Or the villagers bother me, or some rocks or the map in general...

Today I?ve decided to delete town, start from scratch, no map resetting and just go along with it.

And I?ve started making a blog about it. I?m making my own background story with it. I?ve been on it for more than an hour now, writing and playing as I go and I?ve just planted the town tree :D
And I already feel more connected to the map and Isabelle now.

I might publish the blog later, maybe tomorrow, somewhere on the forum.

I am having some trouble too. I’ve reset several times and then I was entertained for a few days, then abandoned town for months, and when I open it I feel no connection to it at all. Or the villagers bother me, or some rocks or the map in general...

Today I’ve decided to delete town, start from scratch, no map resetting and just go along with it.

And I’ve started making a blog about it. I’m making my own background story with it. I’ve been on it for more than an hour now, writing and playing as I go and I’ve just planted the town tree :D
And I already feel more connected to the map and Isabelle now.

I might publish the blog later, maybe tomorrow, somewhere on the forum.

That's how I'm feeling too.... Like I deleted and recreated my second town probably about 10 times now. That's awesome though, definitely let me know when you publish your blog :)

Nothing wrong with walking away from the game when it starts to grow stale.
Like most of the suggestions made, switching things around like your landscaping and villagers can keep things fresh.

I've never had dreams and villagers are free to come and go, so I always have to re-landscape areas because of that. It was especially challenging before the update that prevented villagers from landing on paths.

Also, playing online with others can be fun.

Last edited:
The game is much more fun now that my wife plays. We've always played 3DS game together, like Pokemon, and helping each other keeps it fun. I started playing a month before she did, so it's nice showing her what she can do, what to unlock, and getting things for one another. Plus, we go to the island together and hunt for beetles/sharks together.

Honestly? I started hacking, and it's so much fun. I play straight, maybe time travel occasionally, until I get a perfect town. Then I do whatever I want, and it's honestly such a unique experience.

If that's not your speed, I really enjoy visiting random dream towns. Just wherever Luna throws me. It's probably my favorite thing to do if I'm seeking inspiration and I'm just too lazy to do anything about it.

How do you make a second town?

How do the cranky villagers say it?

New Challenges!
New Excitement!
We need Adventure?!

Here are a few ideas - sometimes just one of these ideas sparks new life into New Leaf:

- Move a villager out, move a new villager in
- Create an entire new color theme to your flowers
- new Town Ordinance- turn off Beautiful, even for a few days. Feel the weeds grow
- Build PWPs you?ve never built before
- Chop down all your trees. Begin with new trees!
- Badges - go for the Gold! (Ok that?s really hard, but at least try for all bronze!)

I love the idea of a blog & creating background stories.. that sounds so fun!

I've been customizing absolutely EVERYTHING!

Some epic fails, but some great finds too.

It's making it a bit more enjoyable. ^_^

I have never made my house the way I want it perfectly. It motivates me every day to make it beautiful! It is more unpleasant after awhile so I take breaks since it is so time consuming. ):

Back