• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Wario Land

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Apple 🍎
Durian 🌽
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
I just recently found out about this series and Wario Land 1, 2, and 3 are all on the 3DS virtual console. If anyone has every played the series, I have a few questions:

1. Is it worth getting all three games?
2. Which one is the best one?
3. What do you think of the series compared to Mario?

I'm pretty set on buying the 3rd game, but since I am very new to virtual console and classic games, I just want to hear about it. I'm trying to expand my horizons :)

I've personally never played the Wario Land games, but if they're any better than Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins then they're guaranteed masterpieces.

And besides, how can a game not be a masterpiece if Wario is the main protagonist???

Oh boy, I've played 3 and 4 and both games were really fun. I haven't played 1 or 2 but I believe that they're closer to 3 (4 is a bit different). I'll talk about 3 here.
First off, these games are not at all like a typical Mario game. It is mostly 2D platforming; however, there's also a fair bit of puzzle-solving. Each level has 4 treasures that you have to find. These treasures usually do something, such as open up a new level, open up a path in a different level that was previously blocked, or give you an entirely new ability. You will not be able to get all 4 treasures from a level immediately, you will have to get treasures from later levels and then go back to earlier levels to get whatever you missed before. You'll probably need a guide at points but the game is great regardless.
I'd say to try 3 and if you like it, go back and play the first 2.

I love the Wario Game for GBA, think it was the 4th one. Wario has quite the move set, really fun to play as.

Both the original Wario Land and its second installment aren't structured the same way as Wario Land 3 does. The former is more like a more slower-paced take to the Super Mario Bros. formula, along with more emphasis on exploration.
The second entry, while sharing many of is very similarities to the third one in terms of gameplay, is an action-oriented platformer with some exploration and light puzzle-solving thrown in for good measures.

I guess picking which one is the best is entirely up to your gaming preferences, since all of these games are great in their own rights. Like more action? Wario Land 2's for you! Want much more exploration but don't mind the backtracking? Go for Wario Land 3. Want some dose of familiarity? Can't go wrong with Wario Land 1!

These are all great answers :) Thanks guys. I bought 1, 2, and 3. I wish I could have all the Wario games since his series seems a lot sillier and wackier than the Mario games and that's just right up my alley. Too bad the other games aren't on 3DS virtual console :( But I'm super excited to try these out ^_^

If you have a Wii U, I'd recommend downloading Wario Land: Shake It! and Wario Land 4 from Wii U's Virtual Console. Wario Land 4 is one of my favorite platformers. Plenty of humor and action to go around. The minigames are fun as well.

Oh yes, Wario Land is a good game. Tbh, the first game was the best imo since it was an original. I loved that the main character this time around was Wario, instead of plain old Mario.

Oh, enjoy them! 3 is my favourite by far, man, due to it's quirkiness with literally everything ^^ Might re-buy it at some point, hmm

Back