• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Fixing A Broken Nintendo 3DS Joystick

What do you think I should do?

• Fix it yourself

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Bring it to a repair shop

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Ayaya

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
4250-9317-9812
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Isabelle
New Leaf Token
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
Purple Violet
White Violet
Yellow Violet
Red Lily
White Lily
Yellow Lily
I broke my 3DS XL Joystick a while ago (damage can be seen here). The games I'm playing right now rely on the joystick to move around, so I need to get it replaced if I wanna continue playing again.

I found this video explaining how to change the joystick part:
And I'm thinking of doing it myself since I found a shop online that sells the spare part, but I have 0 experience with repairing things (I will ask someone for help though)

Do you think it's a good idea for me to repair it myself?
Or do you think I should just bring it to a shop that can repair it?

I'm kind of afraid I'd be charged more to repair it, or that shops won't have the spare parts since 3DS are considered old now.

What do you guys think?

Understandably, repairing the joystick yourself or having a third part company fix it will void the warranty on the 3DS if your 3DS still has it (1 year warranty after purchase).

In all honesty, if you want the safest way to repair the joystick, your best bet is sending it off to Nintendo. It will cost to repair as the warranty only covers manufacturers defects, however the ensurance that it will be fixed correctly is there and from what I've heard about Nintendo Switch repairs and whatnot, their customer service is great.

Understandably, repairing the joystick yourself or having a third part company fix it will void the warranty on the 3DS if your 3DS still has it (1 year warranty after purchase).

In all honesty, if you want the safest way to repair the joystick, your best bet is sending it off to Nintendo. It will cost to repair as the warranty only covers manufacturers defects, however the ensurance that it will be fixed correctly is there and from what I've heard about Nintendo Switch repairs and whatnot, their customer service is great.

The reason "sending it to Nintendo" isn't an option in the first place is because I don't have a Nintendo office in my country, so I'd have to send it overseas and it'd take weeks, and shipping it will cost as much as buying another 3DS game. My warranty is expired anyway since I've had this 3DS since 2013.

35002338_1.jpg

counters.jpg

in all seriousness, don't trust repair shops. any time i've been to one something else ends up breaking so i end up having to back later, and etc etc it ends up with them breaking smth new so you have to come back. i would recomend doing it yourself, because then if you **** up at least you know you were to blame and it wasnt anyone else

Back