• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Is Ugandan Knuckles a racist meme?

toadsworthy

Tangsworthy
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1777-6372-7112
White Star Fragment
Yellow Star Fragment
White Star Fragment
Yellow Star Fragment
White Star Fragment
Dreamy Party Popper
Christmas Gold Candy
Weird Doll
Christmas Gold Candy
New Year's Party Popper
I would stand to say that it isn't as controversial as people make it out to be.

I mean people in Uganda/Africa have that accent and use tongue clicks in their language. Yes to a certain degree.

Could it be used to make even more racist statements yes. But so can a lot of things.

But in the context of its popularity, I think people are raising such hate for it because they don't like it, say that involving Uganda=Racism, and play the racism card because its a hot topic nowadays.

I know a lot of people are going to meme post on this thread, as much as I love doing that and love this meme, I'd rather have an open discussion about this rather than be a crap-poster here

Last edited:
it's based off of who killed captain alex, am i correct? (love that movie by the way)
they love the meme, too!
(https://mobile.twitter.com/wakaliwood?lang=en)
is it really racist? i don't think so

I saw meme so I clicked lol

I found out about the meme on Monday, because I saw on Twitter lots of people kept saying "do u know de wae" and I didn't understand so I looked it up on YouTube... I thought it was super funny and I was crying by the end of the video.

I understand why people say it's racist because it's stereotyping the Ugandans, but I remember reading a thread a few days ago saying how the meme started by a Ugandan director or something??? I don't remember I'll have to go look it up, I'll edit this later (yes the post I just quoted is the thing I was talking about)

i was a bit unsure myself so it's relieving to see that it's not! i'm glad they're enjoying the meme aha

it was never racist lol i thought everyone knew it was based off the movie??? i find the knuckles model ****ing hilarious. if kids are taking it and making it racist then thats not my problem

mocking accents is at most borderline racist depending on the context. Here? This isn't racist.

eh its not really racist but i find it unfunny lol

^^^^^

I don't really know about it so I can't say though.

I don't think it's meant in a racist way, at least from what I have seen. Can it be done in a racist way? Sure it can. I am literally so over it already, but it's almost all I see on any of the meme pages I follow on facebook, and posts from my friends, even went to a random site and someone brought it up, no escape from it I guess. But just doing an accent isn't racist, can it be? Sure. But it doesn't seem to be done in that way here.

ive never seen it in thewild except for just the image of the dude but honestly? ??? it?s just a bad meme

Not really? But yeah it's really boring as with like 99% of those things nowadays.

It's dumb fun but I don't think it's racist unless actual Ugandan people consider it as one. Kinda like the H&M scandal where people claim it's racist when it's just as possible that H&M did not equate monkeys to black people. FFS the kid's mom even said that the media should stop talking about it lol.

Only would TBT debate the racial discourse of an off brand spikey mammal

- - - Post Merge - - -

I take that back. Twitter would, too

It is probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen but do I think it's racist? No.

Back