• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Is Ugandan Knuckles a racist meme?

It's dumb fun but I don't think it's racist unless actual Ugandan people consider it as one. Kinda like the H&M scandal where people claim it's racist when it's just as possible that H&M did not equate monkeys to black people. FFS the kid's mom even said that the media should stop talking about it lol.

Re the H&M people it was kinda stupid to do so and I don't think the text on the shirt was fun at all regardless of skin colour.

I didn't even realize it could be racist.

How is mocking a Ugandan accent and making tribal jokes not racist is the real question, like there's no way around that.

Naturally people are gonna excuse it anyways, though.

eh i dont really like it at all ngl its just annoying more than anything

I've literally never seen or heard of this, I guess because I don't have people who post unfunny memes added on FB lol but if it's something making fun of people's accents I already know I wouldn't like it cuz that ain't cool..

I don't necessarily find it racist, but it's one of the weirdest memes I've ever seen, and that's saying a lot.

no, I don't think it's racist and I find it hilarious.

For me, it isn't a big deal if it is or not. I think the bigger problem is how uptight some people get in defending it (not here thankfully, it's mostly over on Twitter).
Like, it's a meme that got way too overused in such a short amount of time when it wasn't funny in the first place and it isn't even yours. Why do people go through so much effort to defend it in the first place when there's no point in doing so. Take that effort and use it to try and make genuinely funny content.

For me, it isn't a big deal if it is or not. I think the bigger problem is how uptight some people get in defending it (not here thankfully, it's mostly over on Twitter).
Like, it's a meme that got way too overused in such a short amount of time when it wasn't funny in the first place and it isn't even yours. Why do people go through so much effort to defend it in the first place when there's no point in doing so. Take that effort and use it to try and make genuinely funny content.

I completely agree. How in the world is it funny in the first place? I don't understand the meme at all. That's the problem-we're supposed to be able to relate with memes. Ugandan Knuckles is one that not only can't relate with, but I just can't find funny and will never understand its popularity.

How is mocking a Ugandan accent and making tribal jokes not racist is the real question, like there's no way around that.

Naturally people are gonna excuse it anyways, though.

It's literally from a movie though lol and started by a Ugandan guy at that. Some dude didn't just wake up one day and be like, "Hey, you know what, I'm just going to go act like a racist ****ing Knuckles today."

Last edited:
Yasssss its racist and if u like it then you're bad and you should feel bad eat tide podz uwu

It's literally from a movie though lol and started by a Ugandan guy at that. Some dude didn't just wake up one day and be like, "Hey, you know what, I'm just going to go act like a racist ****ing Knuckles today."

So that's supposed to take away any racist merit because it's started by a Ugandan guy? lol

So that's supposed to take away any racist merit because it's started by a Ugandan guy? lol
It really does, because it's not a Not Uganda guy saying "do you know the way" in a offensive way it's a Uganda guy saying "do you know the way" and it catching on and we're simply imitating his accent

lmao i don't think so but it's not exactly my position to say.. i think it's an overused super annoying meme lmao i'm done with it pls get rid of it

Uhh yep, because they're literally quoting a line from a movie lmao. People just get in a tizzy about it because it's an accent from Africa. People can imitate Italian, or French, or whatever accent but as soon as it's an African one people are like, "Oh no, not that one. That one's racist."

Do some people take it too far? Of course. But nothing about the meme itself is inherently racist. Just because a few people are using it as an excuse to be racist doesn't mean the meme in and of itself is racist.

Last edited:
Uhh yep, because they're literally quoting a line from a movie lmao. People just get in a tizzy about it because it's an accent from Africa. People can imitate Italian, or French, or whatever accent but as soon as it's an African one people are like, "Oh no, not that one. That one's racist."

Do some people take it too far? Of course. But nothing about the meme itself is inherently racist. Just because a few people are using it as an excuse to be racist doesn't mean the meme in and of itself is racist.

Eurocentric accents being fun of and African accents being made fun of are on two different levels and can't be compared on a similar basis of racism, lol, but that'd require me going into paragraph upon paragraph to explain that and I'm not in the mood to give that sorta effort towards a meme where the moral stance should be obvious.

It being a movie quote doesn't excuse anything either, and makes zero sense as a way of justification, but whatever. People gotta excuse them racist maymays that'll die within the next few weeks anyways, so why even bother, I guess, hah.

didnt know it was a meme..

as we don't know the initial poster's intentions, we can only infer if it's racist or not, imo it's not

i mean, you're making fun of someones accent so maybe a little bit, i don't know. i find it funny though

Yes, and people need to get over being so offended by claiming it is. There are a lot of funny racist jokes that are harmless.
This is a harmless, racist joke. It makes fun of a funny sounding accent without attacking Ugandan people. It's racist and it's funny.

If people aren't okay with racist jokes that's their right and if they want to call it out on that that's cool too considering racism is a bad thing. But nowadays people act like something being called racist is a death sentence and not just a way to describe a specific thing.

But overall, it's just another overdone boring meme that people get way too defensive about.

Back