• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The Butterfly Oath

I have been sharing. Same name as here

Hey SharJoy, thank you so much for your generosity! I'll be sending a few more butterflies your way with my next blossoms. I had the worst luck with my last harvest though sadly. Only caught one topaz butterfly out of 10 flowers. XD

Hey SharJoy, thank you so much for your generosity! I'll be sending a few more butterflies your way with my next blossoms. I had the worst luck with my last harvest though sadly. Only caught one topaz butterfly out of 10 flowers. XD

Ive had the same problem today

I know it's been already said elsewhere, but oh my goodness the failure rate for catching rare butterflies is so freaking low it's worth complaining for! They really want us spend 10 hard-earned Leaf tickets a pop, just so we could complete the event within a couple weeks. I bet Tom Nook is the one who coded this event! If that isn't bad video game design, then I don't know what else it is.

With how difficult the event is, I'm already doing my part with the friends already on my list. As soon as I grab those elusive beasts, I'll put them to whoever's sitting near the top of my friend list. On tulips and pansies first, dahlias second.

In case you need to add me, here's the info:

In-game name: JCnator
Friend ID: 9973 4013 767

I-G name - John
FC 85813819019

I swear to do the aforementioned stuff

If you request me let me know so I can accept and not pass it off as another request.

I don't want to sound cocky or anything but I don't get this failure rate that everyone is complaining about? Like I had maybe 10 butterflies in the garden and I only missed on 3, so I got 7 out of it.
I can only imagine it's RNG'd like the getting candy canes/countdown charms for those events - sometimes you'll have a dry spell but then you get really lucky. You who are complaining will get lots of butterflies soon, while I can't catch any.

Just adding to what I said earlier: it HAS to be random chance. I just did a capture all on 12 butterflies and only had 1 failure. I'm sure you'll get lucky if you keep going.

I've been doing this as well! Please add me! Dia is my in-game name, my ID number is 7453 5587 361.

I don't want to sound cocky or anything but I don't get this failure rate that everyone is complaining about? Like I had maybe 10 butterflies in the garden and I only missed on 3, so I got 7 out of it.
I can only imagine it's RNG'd like the getting candy canes/countdown charms for those events - sometimes you'll have a dry spell but then you get really lucky. You who are complaining will get lots of butterflies soon, while I can't catch any.

I don't even remember struggling to get loads of countdown charms, even though I actually started playing back in December 26th 2017. And man, Pocket Camp was generous with those things! I would frequently earn at least one countdown charm from doing a villager's request, and the Shovelstrike Quarry often offered an opportunity earning over 20 charms a pop. At the end of the Countdown promotion, I got all of its exclusive items and ended up selling well over 500 leftovers.

Even if its RNG were to be just as stingy the rare butterfly catching, I still would wind up with plentiful of countdown charm leftovers by the end of the promotion. That's because the rewards for completing a request are tied to only one RNG. Rover's Garden Safari on the other hand, is a different story.

Earning both blue and red dahlia seeds isn't too difficult, with the latter being slightly less common. You get both of these by fulfilling requests and handing out any rare butterfly to one of your friends. I've stockpiled over 20 of both types of seeds with only 2-3 days of gameplay. Sounds fine at first glance, but it ain't when you realize there are layers of RNG being involved.

There's one for determining whether or not a rare butterfly will spawn whenever a dahlia blooms, and another for determining the success of catching one. Failure in any of these instances will not yield you a rare butterfly, and success will require you spawning a rare butterfly and grabbing one.
Assuming that each possibility share the same exact success rate, there are 3 possible scenarios, with only one giving you a rare butterfly. In other words, you have 1 out of 3 chance to succeed, so you'd wind up with much less butterflies than the amount of dahlias you've planted.

It doesn't help that the garden is the only way to catch those rare butterflies. A garden in Pocket Camp can hold up to 20 flowers, and getting all of the dahlias to bloom there can take anywhere between 3 and 4 hours, assuming that they're watered at least once or twice. A bloomed dahlia can't host more than one rare butterfly without relying on your friend's doing, so you'll need to replace all of the dahlias in order to spawn even more of those little guys.
With that, the fact you could run short of dahlia seeds and how short the event duration is in mind, the opportunities on snagging those elusive beasts are pretty limited, especially if you don't have much free time to spare.

You might be thinking that I should consider spending my hard-earned Leaf Tickets for Gyroid to guarantee catching rare butterflies. While I appreciate the assistance he could give me, asking 10 Leaf Tickets per creature seems to be a very steep price to ask for, especially when your campsite level is over 38, ran out of goals that rewards you with tickets and lack animals with happiness level lower than 3.

Sometimes I'll catch like 2/10 and other times I'll catch 9/10. So I think it's just random. Maybe extra incentive to keep growing flowers as well? I've just been consistently harvesting and re-planting as well as giving away all my butterflies, and slowly but surely I'm hitting targets.

Sometimes I'll catch like 2/10 and other times I'll catch 9/10. So I think it's just random. Maybe extra incentive to keep growing flowers as well? I've just been consistently harvesting and re-planting as well as giving away all my butterflies, and slowly but surely I'm hitting targets.

I forgot to say that I've seen similar results. If I can get extremely unfavorable/favorable results that easily, then there's no way the odds of success would be 1/2. The way the second RNG is calculated must be more intricate than that.

Between 2 and 4PM EST, I've managed to catch all 7 butterflies that spawned at once without any Gyroid's help. I wonder if anyone found similar results around that time cycle.

Last edited:
I forgot to say that I've seen similar results. If I can get extremely unfavorable/favorable results that easily, then there's no way the odds of success would be 1/2. The way the second RNG is calculated must be more intricate than that.

Between 2 and 4PM EST, I've managed to catch all 7 butterflies that spawned at once without any Gyroid's help. I wonder if anyone found similar results around that time cycle.

The time doesn't have anything to do with it, I mean, I did a catch all on about 10 butterflies or so around 3-4, and got 8/10 so still good rates but not 100%. I think it's just RNG so we will have to keep planting.

Adding you! I'm Liv!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Sooo... I recently cleared out my friends list of all but a couple people. I was full of people that were no longer playing. With this butterfly event, Ive been playing a bunch, I keep passing off all my butterflies to the couple friends I do have but no ones returning the favour and it's frustrating. I was hoping for maybe a few people that would be willing to add me and add me into their rotation? I'll give my butterflies too ofcourse, I reeeally just want Rovers sweater, so I'm trying to get as many red as i can! Thank you! My ID is 7705 6075 096 and my nickname will say Liv :3

- - - Post Merge - - -

Added!

Anyone can add me too ^^ I need some more active friends for the butterfly event :)
my pocket camp ID is in my signature

I have all the Rover items for this part of the event and I am just planting and harvesting for the remaining leaf tickets etc. But I will keep planting and sharing for anyone who needs it :) Minxy - 72724740906

Thanks so much to everyone who's added me. Ive made more progress over the last day than i have since the event started!

Hey friends! I just want to let everyone know I've met my goals for round one of the Rover Event. Thank you all so much for your help. You all rock!

Please only send me butterflies if you want me to attempt to catch them in order to return them to you. I am also still growing flowers, but my catch rate has been very low, so I haven't been able to share as many as I would like. If you are my friend in Pocket Camp (IGN:Mopy) and you would like me to pass you topaz or diamond butterflies from my town, please let me know, otherwise I will see you all for round two!

I share back to people who leave me kudos, give me butterflies, or water my plants. If you're desperately in need of butterflies, just send me some kudos and I'll get to you!

I'm done with R1 of the garden challenge so I'm not super pressed for creatures.

ign: pururu
ID: 8253 7901 593

Back