• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

At what age do you feel like an adult?

I probably won't feel like one until I am completely independent.

Good point. I mean I already do some adult stuff but the fact that I still have to live with my mom and my dad still being an ass, nope.

I'm 18, unemployed (because I quit due of bullying and discrimination), no license, no car, no house, nothing. I'm still a child lmao ... :(

I don't think it's really a set thing. Statistically, most people start saying that they feel like an adult around 29, but for some people it's much younger or older, and I don't really think it's about having all the adult responsibilities, since having adult responsibilities often comes with privilege that many people will never have. (For example, as a disabled person, I likely will never have the adult responsibility of a full-time job, but that doesn't mean I'll never grow up)

I honestly think it's something we put too much emphasis on- kids are more mature than we treat them, and adults are less mature than we treat them, the only real true difference between adults and children is experience- which is a significant difference, but giving kids no privileges or responsibilities and then springing it on them when they hit the legal age of adulthood out of nowhere is stupid. I honestly think the only really inherent thing is that you are expected to be more mature- and not in a really shallow sense like you stop watching cartoons or do things that are off-limits to kids or start being vainly more respectable (wearing suits, having a clean house, whatever). It just means that you no longer have an excuse to be self-centered and be disrespectful to those around you. I also think it's a responsibility that every adult needs to be invested in protecting children, even the adults that don't get along with children and never want to have children of their own. I think all adults, in my opinion, are morally obligated to protect children that they see in danger, and be a good role model to children, and make children feel like respected human beings and not lesser versions of human beings (I'm looking at you, adults who tell kids to shut up when they start completely harmless conversations, and overall talk to kids in a more negative and dismissive way than you would ever dare talking to another adult). And when you can, to try to leave a better world for kids- to take on social issues or environmental issues or political issues that could make the children of the future happier and safer.

But even then, that's all my own meaning. I don't think everything needs a static answer.

I don't know. I feel like an adult now (I'm 21), and when I look back on my past, I can't define when I started feeling like an adult, honestly I can't remember ever not "feeling" like an adult.

I'm sure I'll feel more like one when I move out on my own.

I'm 22 and I live on my own, but I don't really feel like an adult lol
I feel more like a struggling teenager that's expected to pay for all their own needs : P

probably 20 when I had my son. I?m now 21.

i think i only really started feeling fully adult the day i had to make my own doctor's appointment

Everyone is saying when you pay your own bills. Lol you'll feel like an adult when the kids on the internet are using acronyms and you have to google search what they mean D:

oh snap im 16

I'm 21 and I still don't feel like an adult. I think for me personally, it'll hit when I'm living on my own. And I'm itching for that to happen pretty soon.

I go back and forth. I feel like an adult when I read what people younger than me say on the internet. But then I stop feeling like an adult when I realize I'm not getting anywhere in life. :(

I'm 21. I feel like I'm 18, and that I'm not ready to be an adult at all. I do pay my own bills and stuff, but I still freak out whenever I have to make my own appointments and things like that, haha :rolleyes:

None, I don't feel like one at all.
Maybe when I'm much older... probably not as well.

Last edited:
Back