• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Imbri Knits

Imbri

Resident Night Mare
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
1856-7828-8669
Island
Deilf Isle
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Sweetheart Easter Egg
Strawberry Doll
Tortimer
Shadow Kitty Plush
Rosewater Potion
Blue Rosewater Potion
Rose Crystal
Lily of the Valley
Pavé Pink Feather
I thought I'd create a thread for items I've knitted, some related to fandoms, some not. Hope you like it.

My first finish of the year. Kind of cheated, because I started this last fall, but had to stop to do holiday stuff.

20180108_204841.jpg 20180108_204852.jpg

I've been a confirmed Hufflepuff for years, but never made anything for myself because the bright yellow/black combo didn't look good on me. When Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them came out, with its more muted, vintage color for Newt's scarf, I thought I could wear that. This is my take on it.

I used two strands of fingering weight wool for each color to create the marled look of the movie scarf. As for the pattern, I followed the basic Hogwarts scarf from Lauren Kent, with a few changes - I cast on 50 stitches and knit each band for 19 rounds. I did 12 grey and 11 gold, like the movie, but mine is a lot longer than Newt's; with the fringe, it reaches to my knees when I drape it over my neck. I like to wrap my scarf, though, so I'm good with that.

As you can see in the second picture, it is also Raven-approved. ;)

Last edited:
I'm working on a new pair of socks right now for a friend, but I forgot I had some pictures of the things I made family for the holidays.

This is a cowl I made my mother from a kitten-soft alpaca/silk yarn. It knitted up very quickly, because it was in the round and that lace panel on the front is the only pattern part. It's very tall, but squishes down when worn, and keeps her very warm.

6ce5f76a-860b-49f7-a7aa-1b012b57ea83.jpg

Last year, I made my mother a pair of socks, and my niece fell in love with them. She begged for a pair, telling me that her favorite colors were pink and purple. I found this yarn, and it was meant to be. The pattern is the same one I made Mom, but changes so much with the different yarn (Mom's are a tonal pistachio color). These knit up so fast and easily, I think I may have to make some for myself!

8c00a740-2a5f-403e-8896-29f66d07f28c.jpg 75c5f7e9-7ba5-40ae-a1bc-d4e7af5211aa.jpg

A pair of scarves I made for my sister and her husband. Last year, I made a scarf for my step-father, and my brother-in-law really liked it. I had to use another yarn, because the original is now discontinued, but found this really nice blue merino/silk blend. It's a simple pattern, but looks sharp when completed.

My sister's scarf was fun to make. I used a single skein of sock yarn (the same brand as my niece's socks), and I love the way the lace pattern broke the stripes into ripples of color. It ended up being over 5 feet long, so she was able to wrap it around her neck a few times. And because it was a fine yarn, that meant she didn't look like a little kid dressing up to go play in the snow. ;)

5068e70c-5c12-4368-a554-347be86860c1.jpg e47575d1-db77-4cea-add7-07f67a79bf08.jpg

Oh my goodness, Imbri! These are all so beautiful! The patterning on your mom's cowl and your sister's scarf are so beautiful! My grandma knits and my mom crochets and my cousin just started getting into knitting as well and I'm so jealous because I've tried and just couldn't get it down, plus my hands start screaming immediately after I begin... Have you thought of selling these? Because I think they're super gorgeous and people would definitely pay for this quality, especially since you use nice yarn as well. My grandma and mom just use acrylic yarn and it's nice and warm but not soft at all... =[

Yay! It's so nice to see another knitter on here! Your work is very impressive! c: The socks you made for your niece are so cute. They look so great with the stripes. c:

Very beautiful!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I really appreciate it.

Kaydee - I don't think I'd get into selling things, partly because I use patterns created by others (that's a nebulous area) and because I don't ever want to start thinking about knitting as "work". It's something I do because I enjoy it, and that pressure would make it a chore, instead. That being said, I have made several things for people, on occasion. Most of the time, it's for either myself or a gift. :)

amye.miller - I was very pleased with how the socks came out, as well. I was afraid the pattern would get lost in the striping, but it really did work out well. I really think I'll have to make a pair for myself.

Mr. Cat - Thank you!

I would 100% buy a cowl from you but I totally understand, I feel the same about my art, especially my sculptures they become my babies and selling them seems wrong. Still totally beautiful. Keep up the food work, love. <3

Oh, you're super welcome! I love these and would like to see more!! I'm good at crocheting stuffed animals, but I'm dreadfully bad at making clothing and I admire people who can do it so much. Omg.

Also, you coule definitely sells these, but I totally understand why you wouldn't... after I started to sell things it started to feel less relaxing and more like a chore. Now instead of having fun, I feel like I'm going crazy sometimes rushing to get things done D:

Last edited:
Kaydee - That yarn is discontinued, so I wouldn't be able to get that color, but I do have a few skeins in other colors, so if you'd like, feel free to PM me. :)

Mr. Cat - I've seen your amigurumi, and I'm amazed! I can do a chain stitch around a neckline of a sweater, but that's the limit of my crochet skills.

The socks I'm working on are still sort of nebulous-looking, so I'll wait a bit before posting them, but I did start a new scarf last night that I think is going to be nice.

20180120_104613.jpg

It's themed along the same lines as the Newt scarf I made, but this is my imagining of the 1920's Slytherin colors. I'm also knitting this more in keeping with the movie proportions - wider main color (green) stripe, slightly narrower contrasting color (grey). I'm curious to see how it turns out.

I also got yarn to do a Ravenclaw version, but the two bronze shades were too close, so I went back for a different color and decided to grab the ones I'd picked for Gryffindor, as well. I'm Hufflepuff, so I won't wear them. The Ravenclaw will be for a friend, but I don't know what I'll do with the Slytherin and Gryffindor. I'll have to see how the finished pieces turn out.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence about it, but I'm really tempted to get this pattern. I think, for now, I'll add it to my list so I can find it again later.

Need to finish a few other projects, first. :D

Haven't cast on for this, because I'm in the middle of something else just now, but I found this pattern on Ravelry. It looks beautiful, and I have just enough of a teal alpaca/silk yarn to make it (same yarn as the cowl I made my mother).

BURN.JPG

I might do the top part in stockinette instead of garter, to show off the yarn a bit more, but I'll figure that out when the time comes.

Oh, and I got a box of yarn over the weekend (surprise, surprise!). I got the yarn for the Vintage Gryffindor scarf, the new color to go into the Vintage Ravenclaw, and 2 skeins of sock yarn from one of the lines I've been wanting to try. They're both kettle dyed, so they're tonal. One's a rich blue and the other is a gorgeous purple.

Good thing I don't have to justify my stash to anyone! :D

Last edited:
This has reached the recipient, so I can share now. It's the same cowl pattern I made my mother, and the same yarn (different color). I'm so upset that this line has been discontinued, because it makes the softest, most squishy fabric. I have one more skein in this color, and I think it's going to become a cowl... for me! :D

fa0df811-f928-41fc-be50-448f0e6554aa.jpg

I was a little nervous about the lace not showing as well on the purple, but it came out well.

I also cast on the other night for the shawlette in the above post. It's slow going, right now, because I'm working from the bottom up - 300+ stitches per row. Still, it'll be worth it.

I'm still working on the shawlette (the pattern is called 'Burn', but since I'm doing it in teal, I may have to find another name for it). It's very slow, but I've managed to get through row 22. There are 34 rows for the lace part on the bottom, then the plan center. I had hoped to be further along, but it takes about 20 minutes to do a row, due to the number of stitches. Add to that the recent storms that have been hitting my area, and power outages that have happened (3 nor'easters/blizzard in 10 days sucks), I didn't have enough light to really see. I wanted to wear it this season, but I think it'll be too warm, by the time it's done. At least I'll be ready for next year!

I finally have an update on Burn.

20180320_212544.jpg

The color is off, but it shows the stitch pattern well. I've finished 26 rows (out of 34) for the lace. It takes forever to do a row (well, 20 minutes, anyway), because there are over 300 stitches. The pattern isn't terribly hard, but you do have to pay attention, so as not to get off count.

I'm hoping to finish the lace this week and start the short rows next week. That will be a lot faster. I might even have it done by the end of the month!

I was off work last week, so I got lots of knitting time in. That means I finished 'Burn'! *happy dance*

20180329_102910.jpg

The camera flash washed out the color, and it still needs to be blocked (I had lent out my wires; got them back today), but here's a general idea of how it looks. Once I finish blocking, I'll take another picture, hopefully outside.

Now that my needles are free, I am looking for another project. I have a vintage Slytherin scarf I had started or there's a pretty cardigan I've had my eye on for a bit. I think the scarf may win out, since it is fairly mindless, and I do want to get the set of 4 completed. Plus, I'd have to buy yarn for the cardi. :)

Your knitting looks great! I especially like the purple sock and the cowls :)

Ebony, thank you! I enjoy knitting socks. There's something fun about them, especially turning the heel. I'm a dork. ;) And the cowls were fun to knit. I have 1 skein of the purple left, and that will be for me. :)

Ugh, it's been a long time since I've posted here. I went on a bit of a knitting hibernation, but I've started a couple of projects.

I put the word out to my family that if they want anything knitted for the holidays this year, I need to know by August 1st, at the latest. My brother-in-law has requested a cover for his golf driver, and I found a fun pattern. Only problem is that I got the wrong weight yarn (I got a bulky and it was supposed to be worsted), so I need to rewrite the pattern a bit before I start. It'll be a fun problem for the weekend.

The Vintage Slytherin scarf is back in rotation. My old knitting group has a new leader, and the atmosphere is much better. I'm taking the scarf as my project there, because I can chat and not worry too much about messing my knitting up. :)

I got some pretty yarn for a top for myself (I know, actually making myself something!). It's white with a silver metallic thread wrapped around it. I'm hoping to get it done to wear for the holidays.

My most ambitious project is my mother's holiday gift. I actually told her about this, because I felt it was too big to put the work into without getting her input. I showed her the pattern and had her choose the yarn. Good thing, because she went with a choice I never would have considered.

baby bumbershoot.jpg

Can you guess what it is? No, probably not. It's going to be a parasol. A couple of years ago, my mother had a bout with melanoma from too much sun over the years. It was treated and she's fine, but she was instructed to watch how much sun she gets from here on out. She wears a hat, but it doesn't really cover her shoulders, so she had talked about carrying an umbrella, if she could find something that wasn't too big or utilitarian looking.

I found this pattern on Ravelry and thought it might work. I bought a bamboo paper parasol and I'll remove the paper and sew the knitted canopy in place. I'm actually thinking about making myself one, too.

A couple more projects being added to the holiday list (this is mainly for me, so I don't forget something).

Two scale mail dice bags. One is knitted; I just have to sew it up. I'll need to bring a few scales to my knitting group to match the yarn color for the second.

A pair of merino/cashmere socks. Should be a fairly quick knit, as I've done the pattern before.

A counted-cross stitch piece. It will read, "Nie m?j cyrk, nie moje małpy", which is a Polish proverb - "Not my circus, not my monkeys".

I need about 3 more months!

Back