• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What keeps you motivated to play?

Jaffacakemunchr

▫♡*•Jaffa•*♡▫
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Purple Violet
Flea
Tasty Cake
Yellow Violet
Cake
Pear (Fruit)
Orange (Fruit)
So New Leaf is coming up to being 5 years old and I've had it right from the start. I found I got bored after a few years and now I just don't play. I want to pick it up again and start fresh with now with no time travelling, no hacking etc.

What do you guys do to keep yourselves motivated to play? How do you guys keep the game enjoyable?

I'm thinking of setting myself goals like trying to 100% the museum and get the badges.

Help pls!!!

I've been focusing on designing my towns to look as perfect and amazing as possible. That's been keeping me playing on a semi-daily basis. It's taken me a long time to find the right paths, get all the PWPs, and all that other jazz.

And when I feel myself getting burnt out and wanting to take a break, I make sure to stop once a villager has pinged to move; that way, I can be away for as long as need be.

I've been focusing on designing my towns to look as perfect and amazing as possible. That's been keeping me playing on a semi-daily basis. It's taken me a long time to find the right paths, get all the PWPs, and all that other jazz.

And when I feel myself getting burnt out and wanting to take a break, I make sure to stop once a villager has pinged to move; that way, I can be away for as long as need be.

Yeah that's a good idea. I think I get burnout. I play lots then just stop. I think I need to pace.

Yeah I would definitely say that finishing my museum and earning the badges keeps me motivated, but in all honesty, I think what keeps me most motivated to play is seeing my friends :3

Yeah I would definitely say that finishing my museum and earning the badges keeps me motivated, but in all honesty, I think what keeps me most motivated to play is seeing my friends :3

Yeah I used to love playing with friends but now I don't because they don't play anymore :( wish I had some friends but tbh I dunno if I'd have the time to play with them or even enjoy playing with someone I met. I would really have to get on with them...

Yeah I used to love playing with friends but now I don't because they don't play anymore :( wish I had some friends but tbh I dunno if I'd have the time to play with them or even enjoy playing with someone I met. I would really have to get on with them...

Yeah, i know what you mean :[ I met this girl one summer and we got along really well. I didn't really assume our friendship would go anywhere because we had only met online and we lived in different states. Over winter break, I decided to go online for the first time in 6 months... and she was online :D Now, we have been friends for about 1.5 years :) So I think if you find the right person, it really does motivate you even if both parties don't go on particularly often ;3

Last edited:
lots of things actually.
i first went on day by day doing the same stuff a certain let's player did on his youtube channel.
than i started to get my own taste in trying to make my house feel like a home.
and i did.
while i was doing that i just caught bugs and fish,dug up fossils an bought art.
so to complete my museum, and i did.
and went on to make my town feel like it's a camping ground, big city, small town, a park, a forest, and lots of other things, all at the same time, and i feel like i succeeded at that :)
i than tried to collect as much IGB as i could, and i got bored of it because i have over 600 million bells and started spending that on friends to help them with their towns in any way, shape, or form, and i did, i only have like a bit under 80 million left.
i tried to get all of the badges ( and still trying )
and i gotta say, i like doing it again :)

and now, i just try to help people out with gardening.
or ideas for PWP's, and all sorts of town stuff.

I'm always re-landscaping, and I still don't have every item, plus I enjoy fishing and going on island tours.

There's always something to do. ^_^

lots of things actually.
i first went on day by day doing the same stuff a certain let's player did on his youtube channel.
than i started to get my own taste in trying to make my house feel like a home.
and i did.
while i was doing that i just caught bugs and fish,dug up fossils an bought art.
so to complete my museum, and i did.
and went on to make my town feel like it's a camping ground, big city, small town, a park, a forest, and lots of other things, all at the same time, and i feel like i succeeded at that :)
i than tried to collect as much IGB as i could, and i got bored of it because i have over 600 million bells and started spending that on friends to help them with their towns in any way, shape, or form, and i did, i only have like a bit under 80 million left.
i tried to get all of the badges ( and still trying )
and i gotta say, i like doing it again :)

and now, i just try to help people out with gardening.
or ideas for PWP's, and all sorts of town stuff.

Wow that's so inspirational! Also how did you get so many bells? :O

- - - Post Merge - - -

I'm always re-landscaping, and I still don't have every item, plus I enjoy fishing and going on island tours.

There's always something to do. ^_^

Yeah I need to make more use of the island really!

i got so much bells because i went to the island every day and caught like 120 of the rare ( most expensive bugs ) that you can sell at retail at like 12.000 bells each.
and they were on premium a couple of times and gets you more bells.
and i also did the turnip market a lot with buying the entire ''locker'' FULL, all spaces maxed out.
and also my ''pocket'' maxed out, and sold very high, like in the 500's high.
and that is how i got over 600 million fairly quickly.

Perfecting one's own town is definitely on the list, I'm slowly but surely working towards mine. I also like to focus on the badges, because it gives goals for you to achieve. For instance, currently I'm trying to get the silver medal badge and the gold diver one! If you take one or two at a time, it'll give you a nice chunk to work towards. :) Plus some of those badges are hella hard. Another thing is anticipating what kind of animals will camp/which ones you can move in. I think the pure idea of 'not knowing what you will find but knowing what you could find' keeps me coming back!

Also, pacing is important in my opinion. Some days I just look at my 3DS and kinda not feel the mood to play until super late, usually when I'm at school (lol @ all those late night sessions) but other days I space out and play in the morning and then again in the late afternoon after a break. If you find yourself frustrated over something, or tired, take a break, and come back to it. You'd be surprised how refreshed it can feel.

Last edited:
i got so much bells because i went to the island every day and caught like 120 of the rare ( most expensive bugs ) that you can sell at retail at like 12.000 bells each.
and they were on premium a couple of times and gets you more bells.
and i also did the turnip market a lot with buying the entire ''locker'' FULL, all spaces maxed out.
and also my ''pocket'' maxed out, and sold very high, like in the 500's high.
and that is how i got over 600 million fairly quickly.

Yeah I used to do the island lots but it's a bit tedious! Maybe I need to try the turnip market! I'm part of the Facebook group where people ask for turnip prices so that might help!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Perfecting one's own town is definitely on the list, I'm slowly but surely working towards mine. I also like to focus on the badges, because it gives goals for you to achieve. For instance, currently I'm trying to get the silver medal badge and the gold diver one! If you take one or two at a time, it'll give you a nice chunk to work towards. :) Plus some of those badges are hella hard. Another thing is anticipating what kind of animals will camp/which ones you can move in. I think the pure idea of 'not knowing what you will find but knowing what you could find' keeps me coming back!

Also, pacing is important in my opinion. Some days I just look at my 3DS and kinda not feel the mood to play until super late, usually when I'm at school (lol @ all those late night sessions) but other days I space out and play in the morning and then again in the late afternoon after a break. If you find yourself frustrated over something, or tired, take a break, and come back to it. You'd be surprised how refreshed it can feel.

Yeah I need that refresh i think. I'm going to start fresh and not abide by themes that I see on the internet and make it my own! If I burn out I'll take a short rest. I felt like I just played too much then I would stop. I need to pace myself!

i think what motivates me is all the ideas i have for my town/house that i want to put into effect if that makes sense? like, i want to make my town look a certain way with a variety of pwps & i have an idea of where i want to put them all. i play everyday in hopes that at least one villager recommends me a pwp that i want (doing the diving trick helps a lot). once they recommend the pwp, i find where i want to put it. trying to breed hybrids/buying hybrids from this site everyday also motivates me to continue constructing my town.

the same goes for my house. there are certain themes/sets that i strive for, so i visit t.i.y/harvey everyday to find what i need. i also trade on this site if there are items i can't find or if their unorderable.

i guess the satisfaction of seeing everything progress even more each day makes me want to continue with playing in hopes that one day, everything i worked for will finally become what i hoped for it to be.

Right now it's just when friends want to play or trade with me. I rarely feel like I have things to complete or accomplish anymore, so now I just look out on the forums for people who need help or need items, etc. I only really get motivated when I think of new rooms to make, and even then I'm pretty much done with my houses.

Right now I?m tempting to get all of my houses and museum rooms in order. Then I?m going to attempt to landscape my town so it looks good. It?s kind of a mess haha, I?ve seen some really well done towns and want to try to achieve that level of landscaping. But with some of the villager houses in the way of how I want certain things I?m not sure it?ll work out for me. The villagers in the way I don?t want to move so I?m stuck with their placement. I really wish you could choose where they set their houses up or at least let you move them.

Right now I’m tempting to get all of my houses and museum rooms in order. Then I’m going to attempt to landscape my town so it looks good. It’s kind of a mess haha, I’ve seen some really well done towns and want to try to achieve that level of landscaping. But with some of the villager houses in the way of how I want certain things I’m not sure it’ll work out for me. The villagers in the way I don’t want to move so I’m stuck with their placement. I really wish you could choose where they set their houses up or at least let you move them.

Yeah I totally agree, I hope they implement the ability to set houses in a future game.

just buy turnips with an as low possible price possible ( about 90/93 bells )
and sell only high like 350+ bells.

i usually got lucky that some had at least 400something

Yeah I feel I need to have a proper go at the turnip market. I never do it because I'm worried of losing money!

if look everyday at your own turnip price.
and also here on the forum at the turnip price tread

Yeah I feel I need to have a proper go at the turnip market. I never do it because I'm worried of losing money!

Back