• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Is suicide a human right?

?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think suicide is selfish; it?s finding an easy way out with no concern for the people you?re gonna leave behind.

Not many people will agree I guess.
On the other hand; legal assisted ?suicide? such as the lethal injection I believe you can get in like Switzerland, where it?s done professionally is ok and I fully support if you have an illness (or something) that affects your quality of life. It also has to be planned properly in advance and gives the people in your life time to adjust and say their goodbyes.

(Sorry in advance if I?ve offended anyone)

I'm pretty pro-choice on the issue. I don't really think suicide should be done just on a whim or really in general, but you're never going to stop people from doing it.

If we're talking about PAS I fully support it.

I personally think suicide is selfish; it’s finding an easy way out with no concern for the people you’re gonna leave behind.

On the other hand; legal assisted “suicide” such as the lethal injection I believe you can get in like Switzerland, where it’s done professionally is ok and I fully support if you have an illness (or something) that affects your quality of life. It also has to be planned properly in advance and gives the people in your life time to adjust and say their goodbyes.

(Sorry in advance if I’ve offended anyone)

as someone who's dealt with depression and has wanted to kill myself before, and has lost close friends to suicide, i can say that it is not cowardly nor taking the easy way out. we are fighting harder than you could ever imagine, and saying something like that is really insensitive and rude. it's not even their fault that they want to do it, it's their mental illness taking over their brain

furthermore, a lot of people who do it are victims of abuse and don't have anyone they are leaving behind. and it's in no way easy, or else more people would have done it. we are not selfish, we are not cowards. you have no idea what we are going through.

Last edited:
I personally think suicide is selfish; it’s finding an easy way out with no concern for the people you’re gonna leave behind.

On the other hand; legal assisted “suicide” such as the lethal injection I believe you can get in like Switzerland, where it’s done professionally is ok and I fully support if you have an illness (or something) that affects your quality of life. It also has to be planned properly in advance and gives the people in your life time to adjust and say their goodbyes.

(Sorry in advance if I’ve offended anyone)

Just gotta say that suicide is in no way easy
If it wasn't hard, far more people would have done it

I think the legality of suicide might just be the funniest, yet worst joke thing in the world.

Do they really think that when people want to end their lives, they're concerned about whether it's allowed or not?

I think the legality of suicide might just be the funniest, yet worst joke thing in the world.

Do they really think that when people want to end their lives, they're concerned about whether it's allowed or not?

Exactly this. The issue shouldn't be whether it should be legal or illegal, because if someone is really considering suicide and decide to go through with it, any legal consequences will have absolutely no affect on them, obviously??? Like wtf, I always thought this was some bull**** as well lmao.

The real issue people should be focusing on is getting people the help and support they need so that they don't consider suicide in the first place!!

Last edited by a moderator:
i read somewhere that it's illegal because the police can't break into someone's house an stop them from doing it unless it's a crime

As someone who has thought about leaping from their balcony for about 10 years or more, I think the legalisation of suicide is unethical. However I don't think people care about whether it's legal or not because people have been doing it for centuries, so it doesn't matter either way.

Calling people selfish, cowards and things along those lines is idiotic. You have no idea what is going through their heads when they try to end their lives, you have no idea. Mental illnesses are uncontrollable and it's as if these people are being told to do these things by their "inner demons", it's not them that's doing this; it's their illness and the sooner people realise this the sooner that these people will be helped more sufficiently and people like BlueBear will stop calling suicidal people and people who have committed suicide "selfish".

People have various reasons for committing suicide, it is mostly people who are mentally ill or are suffering abuse that do it (this is an especially prominent reason for younger people); some people may well be doing it for selfish reasons (getting out of debt for example) but not all of them are, so, stop putting them under the same category please. Being ignorant about these issues is the reason why these issues are never handled properly.

In my case, I have several mental illnesses/disorders. I realise that it isn't an option for me but it's not the same for everyone else because, again, everyone is different. Please stop and think about what you're saying before you say it, most of us are sensitive and the slightest thing may "trigger" us, I'm not one of these people but, once again, we are all different and should be handled in different ways.

I could go on but I'm not going to because I feel as though I might get even more repetitive.

As someone who has thought about leaping from their balcony for about 10 years or more, I think the legalisation of suicide is unethical. However I don't think people care about whether it's legal or not because people have been doing it for centuries, so it doesn't matter either way.

Calling people selfish, cowards and things along those lines is idiotic. You have no idea what is going through their heads when they try to end their lives, you have no idea. Mental illnesses are uncontrollable and it's as if these people are being told to do these things by their "inner demons", it's not them that's doing this; it's their illness and the sooner people realise this the sooner that these people will be helped more sufficiently and people like BlueBear will stop calling suicidal people and people who have committed suicide "selfish".

People have various reasons for committing suicide, it is mostly people who are mentally ill or are suffering abuse that do it (this is an especially prominent reason for younger people); some people may well be doing it for selfish reasons (getting out of debt for example) but not all of them are, so, stop putting them under the same category please. Being ignorant about these issues is the reason why these issues are never handled properly.

In my case, I have several mental illnesses/disorders. I realise that it isn't an option for me but it's not the same for everyone else because, again, everyone is different. Please stop and think about what you're saying before you say it, most of us are sensitive and the slightest thing may "trigger" us, I'm not one of these people but, once again, we are all different and should be handled in different ways.

I could go on but I'm not going to because I feel as though I might get even more repetitive.

thank you thank you thank you!!!! that's exactly what i mean!

very unsure about the issue. to other people, death can be quite a comforting thought, and not a horrifying thing to go through, i guess. i think i would be dead if it wasn't so painful to achieve it.
but i'm glad it's painful, it prevents people from doing it. i knew a lot of people who dreamt for the days their life would end but were too afraid of how much pain they will feel or if they would end up living and getting brain damage. i'm a very happy person now, but i think i got lucky. i wish people could've gone through the same, not having **** thrown at them every day to push them to end everything forever, but in a sense, it's worse because they're willing to feel so much pain just to get out of this world.
i guess it's a right? as in everyone's reasons will mean a lot to them. it's not selfish.
people who care about you should do their best to make the person happy and to protect them, but i don't think that's getting a service to watch them at all times in a psychiatric hospital for a last resort. even though this is rare, it'll probably make them unhappier.

i dont think it should be? im very mixed about suicide, i wouldnt really call the person selfish nor would i say it's the easiest way out for everyone. however in most cases i really dont think it should be encouraged or people telling others that its ok.

Last edited:
I think it should be, not that it's morally just, I just believe people's bodies should be their own.

i think we have a right to decide to end our lives
i didnt choose or ask to be brought into this world, so i should have a choice on when i want to leave it

- - - Post Merge - - -

also i believe in reincarnation so i wouldnt worry about dying

I too think it's "selfish". It's really hard to explain why I think so without people being mad at me... I'm not saying that I don't know how it feels or that I don't have any experiences with it. But this is my personal opinion, and I don't mean this in a mean way. It's really hard to explain, but when people commit it, they only passes their pain onto someone else. That's what I mean by it being selfish, even tho that isn't even the right word to use for it, but I don't what other words to use, sorry. I have chosen to live with the pain instead of passing it on to my loved ones, because they mean everything to me and I could never hurt them.. but again, don't get mad at me please, this is my experience and therefore my opinon. People have it different than me and have different views than me aswell, I know. Everyone is fighting different battles, and I'm not speaking for everyone, only myself, so it's completely okay if you don't agree with me. But I feel like calling peoples opinion idiotic because they think it's selfish without knowing their reasoning or experience behind this exact theme isn't something we should do... No, I'm not saying that being selfish means that they are cowards or weak, it's the complete opposite. So don't get me wrong. :s I'm just not good with words.

I too think it's "selfish". It's really hard to explain why I think so without people being mad at me... I'm not saying that I don't know how it feels or that I don't have any experiences with it. But this is my personal opinion, and I don't mean this in a mean way. It's really hard to explain, but when people commit it, they only passes their pain onto someone else. That's what I mean by it being selfish, even tho that isn't even the right word to use for it, but I don't what other words to use, sorry. I have chosen to live with the pain instead of passing it on to my loved ones, because they mean everything to me and I could never hurt them.. but again, don't get mad at me please, this is my experience and therefore my opinon. People have it different than me and have different views than me aswell, I know. Everyone is fighting different battles, and I'm not speaking for everyone, only myself, so it's completely okay if you don't agree with me. But I feel like calling peoples opinion idiotic because they think it's selfish without knowing their reasoning or experience behind this exact theme isn't something we should do... No, I'm not saying that being selfish means that they are cowards or weak, it's the complete opposite. So don't get me wrong. :s I'm just not good with words.

You know people are allowed to be mad at you no matter how many times you ask not to and how cutesy you make your post, right?

If you think suicide is a selfish act you clearly 1) have never had to deal with a harsh mental illness ever and 2) have never had friends or loved ones suffering with one either. When people are thinking of suicide they are not thinking of "passing the pain down", the general desire there is wanting their own pain to end. Pain that people who call suicidal people "selfish" clearly haven't experienced yet.

More often than not there is also the thought that our loved ones would fare better off without us. That there wasn't really a place for us in this world and by taking ourselves out of the situation it'd be easier for others.

With that being said, as others have mentioned: we do not choose to think like this. It is not our fault, and having these thoughts was not our own decision in the first place. We are suffering with sick brains that posts like this do not help at all. Calling people selfish for having an illness we didn't ask for, an illness that directly hinders and halts our ability to think rationally, is incredibly harmful and incredibly ignorant. Hearing that you're selfish while thinking of ending it all only makes it worse and only gives us more of a reason to feel like we shouldn't be here. I hate to sound dramatic but posts like these, no matter how nicely worded, really do play a part in what makes us (want to/try to) end our lives and are frankly more selfish than any suicidal person's thoughts. How can people see that someone wants to harm themselves and think "Oh but they're hurting me by doing this" instead of immediately wondering what absolute terror they're going through at the moment? That is selfish.

I'm going to end off with a reference to something Zendel said but there is absolutely no selfish reason for committing suicide or for wanting to. Debt might seem to fit the description but when money is, unfortunately, 100% essential to living it's pretty easy to see why being in the negatives would cause someone to take their life. They can't provide for yourself, they can't provide for your loved ones, so it feels like the only option. These people are still suffering and need our support as do any suicidal people.

Last edited:
Yes, people should have the right to their own bodies. That being said though, don't encourage people to commit suicide and if someone is thinking about it seek help immediately

This is pretty much what I meant.
Also for the people getting offended by my original post and said I have ?no idea what it?s like? you?re wrong. I?ve suffered from depression, and I know others who have. There?s always another way, suicide isn?t the answer. Think of the people who will be hurt by your actions.

Last edited:
This is pretty much what I meant.
Also for the people getting offended by my original post and said I have “no idea what it’s like” you’re wrong. I’ve suffered from depression, and I know others who have. There’s always another way, suicide isn’t the answer. Think of the people who will be hurt by your actions.

Yes there is always another way, but some people don't see that way and that's what you don't understand hence why I said you have no idea and my consistence on mentioning that everyone is different with their experiences.

The only instance were I think the person could be perceived as being selfish by committing suicide is when they are in debt and leave behind their family.

Most people don't think about anything or anyone else when they contemplate doing it, they just think about their pain. That isn't selfish, it's suffering and not knowing how to deal with it.

I’ve suffered from depression, and I know others who have.

That makes your posts even more disheartening.

You should understand that depression can prevent people from making rational decisions all while putting irrational ones in their place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back