• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Why does English suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelXD

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I really don't like English. Why can't people understand what I say when I communicate?

Tear and tear.
Read and read.
That that is, is, that that is not, is not. Is that it? It is.

Last edited:
What's a mixed bag?

It pretty much means that something has some good and bad parts to it

- - - Post Merge - - -

But why does English have to be so structurally different from other languages in terms of sentence structure and grammer, it makes it a pain to unlearn some aspects of English when trying to learn a second language

I don‘t think English sucks - it‘s actually pretty simple compared to a lot of languages. Just look at German: three words for “the“, genders assigned to every word seemingly at random (for example: “girl“ is genderless, not female), and nouns can be chained together pretty much indefinitely at will - “Rindfleischetikettierungs?berwachungsaufgaben?bertragungsgesetz“ is a legit word.

Last edited:
Well it sure doesn't have rules on how to pronounce stuff, half of the time or more you are "supposed" to know it. I think it's the only language I've come across and learned that you like have to guess everything and don't learn to pronounce much from start, or just know it.

German was sure easier for me...

I heard that English is one of the hardest languages to learn.
You also tend to see people with english as a second language speaking better (more correct) than people who’ve spoken it their whole lives lol

I heard that English is one of the hardest languages to learn.
You also tend to see people with english as a second language speaking better (more correct) than people who’ve spoken it their whole lives lol

I wouldn't say hard unless you really wanna learn all the weird words you never use, but yeah sure I wish they'd teach you how to pronounce stuff earlier because you guys sure have a million letter combination you never learn in school. I'm way better at writing imo.

I certainly agree with BlueBear that people who learn English as a second language tend to speak/write more correctly than native speakers.

I guess people find it difficult because it isn't based on Romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian, etc.), so if you come from that background, word placement and sentence structure can seem backward or uncomfortable; I know I had some confusion when I was learning Spanish back in school. :) Then there are spelling differences, based on whether you are dealing with British or American English, or even words meaning completely different things.

Still, I think unless you have an absolute gift for languages, learning any second language can be difficult. Where I live, we get a lot of people who come to work or vacation that don't speak English as their first language. It can be frustrating, on both sides, to try to explain something, but if everyone takes a breath and goes slowly, it generally works out. :)

WELL THEN WHY DO PEOPLE SAY THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY WHEN I'M TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM, OR SAY THAT THEY DIDN'T HEAR ME WHEN I SAID THE TRASH FELL ON THE FLOOR? Or give more ****ing detail BLA BLA BLA! You need to speak up? Why?

WELL THEN WHY DO PEOPLE SAY THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY WHEN I'M TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH THEM, OR SAY THAT THEY DIDN'T HEAR ME WHEN I SAID THE TRASH FELL ON THE FLOOR? Or give more ****ing detail BLA BLA BLA! You need to speak up? Why?

Well I highly doubt you will make it easier for them to understand you by yelling.

Because the English language has more words than many other languages, so to ESL people, there are lots of extra words that they may not be used to using. Along with that, when English speakers try to learn other languages, there are words that are missing, so they have to use similar meaning words, which can be difficult :[

Last edited:
I guess people find it difficult because it isn't based on Romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian, etc.), so if you come from that background, word placement and sentence structure can seem backward or uncomfortable; I know I had some confusion when I was learning Spanish back in school. :) Then there are spelling differences, based on whether you are dealing with British or American English, or even words meaning completely different things.

I speak Welsh as a second language, I learnt it at quite a young age but I certainly used to struggle with sentences being ?backwards? because of the way we structure our sentences in English in comparison to other languages. Now that?s Welsh. Literally the next country over to England and the language is SO different. It?s a Celtic language though, so follows similar patterns to Scottish / Irish gaelic.

I also learnt Spanish in school, and whilst I passed with an A grade.. a few years later I can barely remember any of it. Weird. :p

Relax my friend, take it slow now.
To me, it?s maybe that the people that you speak to are the ones that are struggling with their English (no offence by all means). Or if not, then maybe you may be blubbering or talking too fast. I?ve always had this problem when I was younger. I used to talk really fast, resulting in me murmuring, and my family would think that I?m speaking a different language, haha.
It seems to me that you are typing English completely fine, I don?t see any problem. :)

Last edited:
Yeah well, most of these people we speak of are family members. Very few of them reside on the internet, like you and me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back