• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Would I Hate Sun & Moon?

I personally have held off on getting the game. Part of me really wants it because I love the Pokemon (like Golisopod, Primarina, and Lurantis) but another part of me is hugely turned off by all the unnecessary moves (like that Eevee move that takes like a whole minute to execute but only raises his stats), the fact that they did away with gyms, the mega/alolan forms, and just the feel of the game in general.

The farthest I have gone at this point is Diamond/Pearl and that's probably as far as I will go.

honestly, i've been playing pok?mon since red, but goddamn i had more enjoyment with red.

i've been skimming through the replies, but has anyone mentioned the removal of the dexnav and the ****ing PSS? why? why? why? the festival plaza is awful. if you liked the multiplayer aspect of past 3ds titles, you're going to be let down. after i completed the game, i never touched it again.

- - - Post Merge - - -

i LOVE some of the pok?mon in it though, also lillie is kinda cool i guess

Yeah, regular Sun/Moon was a regular let down, mainly because of the, eh lack of post-game stuff and the handholding. Also the difficulty added in Ultra games was not good.

And yeah the Plaza is awful, I only used it for Friendship Caf?, and well, you can get friendship other ways and yeah I miss the PSS so hard T____T

Pokemon Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon are unlike any other Pokemon game thus far. The biggest difference is that the Gym system was ditch entirely for the more "traditional", Island Challenge.

The Island Challenge is a series of Trials scattered across Alola. Each Island has 1-3 Trials where the challenges varies from collecting items to battling Pokemon and Trainers to continue. Some Trials are more simlar to Gyms than others, but each one has their own spin on it to make them unique. Think of it like a puzzle. At the end of each Trial is a Totem Pokemon; a strong and abnormally larger Pokemon with buffed up stats. After completing all the Trials on an Island, you face the Grand Trial; a Trial where you test your skills against a trainer chosen by the guardians of the Island, known as a Kahuna. If it makes you feel better, the Pokemon League system is not ditched and is still present in the games

The fact that the system has changed for these games is not bad at all. The same way of play was implemented for 20 years of Pokemon games, and this Generation is the first to change it for something more refreshing. Personally I enjoyed the Trials, they were something different but not everyone agrees with that. The Gym system isn't gone for sure so don't doubt about that, we'll find out soon enough with the reveal of the Switch game.

These games, especially Pokemon Ultra Sun and Moon, are very plot-heavy, much like Pokemon Black/White and Black 2/White 2. The plot in USUM (Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon) is very thick. I recommend you play USUM over Sun and Moon. Not only are the games better than Sun and Moon, but the story is better, features are improved upon, there is more to do, new Pokemon only found in USUM and not SuMo. The games are entirely better than SuMo and worth the play, even if you decide to put it down for a while, you'll know where you picked off and what to do next as the game maps out where you should go for you.

Personal preference

Don't let other people discourage you. If you feel like getting it, I recommend getting sumo first. If you don't like that, don't get usum. If you like it, get usum

Personal preference

Don't let other people discourage you. If you feel like getting it, I recommend getting sumo first. If you don't like that, don't get usum. If you like it, get usum

Nah I have to disagree with you and say skip SuMo and play USUM. USUM is just better overall when compared to SuMo. If you haven't played SuMo, then USUM doesn't feel like a rehash like people say it does when you play both games.

I think you should play USUM first if you really want a good opinion on Gen 7. It fixes a lot of things people had problems with in SuMo and the story feels fresh if you haven't played SuMo and skip to USUM.

Nah I have to disagree with you and say skip SuMo and play USUM. USUM is just better overall when compared to SuMo. If you haven't played SuMo, then USUM doesn't feel like a rehash like people say it does when you play both games.

I think you should play USUM first if you really want a good opinion on Gen 7. It fixes a lot of things people had problems with in SuMo and the story feels fresh if you haven't played SuMo and skip to USUM.

I have to agree with this. Since Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is basically the same as Sun/Moon, but with more features, I recommend starting with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon while skipping Sun and Moon. The only reasons why Sun/Moon is better are that there's no Ultra Recon Squad scenes and the plot is better.

Last edited:
I'm an outlier in this thread, but I've been playing Pokemon since Red/Blue came out in the US in the '90s and I love Gen 7. It's honestly my favorite generation so far. Yes, there's some downsides. Festival Plaza is pretty terrible, for example. But no Pokemon game has yet to be perfect. The lack of gyms does not hurt the game at all. You also get Gen 7's advantage of getting rid of the concept of HMs. No HM slaves or wasting move slots on moves that you normally would not care about.

I'd suggest giving it a try. However, I suggest skipping Sun/Moon and going straight for Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon. There's simply a lot more to do, both during and post-game.

Probably. Pok?mon hit its peak just before the jump to 3D and the newer games are an absolute disgrace to the series in my opinion. I couldn't agree more with the people who said the entirety of the current games just feels like one neverending tutorial, and the decision to remove the gyms was just baffling to me. Why change a tried and true formula and add super obnoxious side characters to the mix? Many decisions made by the devs in Gen 6 and onward rendered the games completely unenjoyable for me, and I'd go as far as to say unplayable given how far they've deviated from the games I knew and loved.

I've played every Pok?mon game since Red/Blue and Gen 6 and above are the only games that I just couldn't get into. I tried my hardest seeing as how Pok?mon was a pretty big part of my life for so long (moderated a super busy Pok?mon site and participated in both PGL and VGC tournaments + maxed hours on 90% of my carts) and I didn't want to let go, but I've essentially accepted that the series I've adored since my childhood is dead and this new version of handholding and severely dumbed down gameplay is what I can expect from GameFreak.

^^^^what you said.

And yeah I never liked the competitive part of the newer games, I always played pretty casually and were always more of a collector than anything. I hated how they screwed the difficulty curve in the ultra games, and how they removed so you can't use level 100 games in E4 for some damn reason. Like, do you expect us to clear it with level 60s-80s unless you are into perfect breeding, what the ****?? And yeah never a fan of the island trial "puzzles", bring back gyms and the casual feels. Make Pok?mon Great Again.

To be honest, I actually like the system we have now rather than the gyms. As for the handholding and removal of national dex, not only it was a problem in Sun and Moon, but this is pretty much what future games are gonna get.

But if there's one fatal flaw with Pokemon that needs to be fixed next game, it would have to be that the Ice Type has only one resistance. As a type with four common weaknesses and only one resistance (itself), Gamefreak doesn't even realize how bad the Ice Type is.

See, now this makes me not want to buy it. I like Pokemon because I enjoy the challenge of battles and breeding, etc. But I beat X/Y in three days and the story sucked, which was very disappointing.

I am very curious to see what kinda story Nintendo has churned out now that the Gym system is gone. Plus, I don't wanna miss out on the next gen. I really don't have money to be throwing around on games I'm never gonna play, though.

It seems I have a lot of thinking to do.

Sun/Moon (and presumably US/UM as well because they're very similar story-wise to the originals from what I hear) does have a "handholdy" feel to it in many areas which is unfortunate, but in my opinion the battles were decently challenging at times - definitely more so than X/Y, which even without using the EXP Share can be breezed through lol
I think X/Y had the worst story of any Pok?mon game by far so S/M doesn't have to do much to be better than that, but even without the comparison it's still an all right story, though completely nonsensical at points and there are a few anti-climaxes that kind of take away from it. Like (*spoiler* I know you said you don't mind spoilers but I'll put that anyway haha) when the "ultra beasts" first appear, you get a cutscene of a few of them like dropping from the sky and a bunch of build up that they're going to destroy Alola and need to be fought off, but you don't get to actually do that or see any of the havoc they allegedly wreak. All you get is a weak post-game event where you can go find the UB's in the grass and catch them incredibly easily using special beast balls. Pbbfft.

In regards to the trial system replacing the gyms, I honestly found the change up refreshing, but I've been wanting to see a different-style Pok?mon game for awhile (I'm a big fan of Colosseum/XD for the GCN which also don't follow the traditional Pok?mon formula) and I think they executed it fairly well. Although, many of the trials which sound like they're going to be interesting at first, you discover you're more or less walked through the entire thing once you get there which isn't that fun, but the Totem Pok?mon battles are cool at least.

There are many small changes made in Sun/Moon that I appreciate A LOT but they won't mean much if you don't do a lot of IV/shiny breeding or EV training etc.. like:
-Ability to view all a Pok?mon's IVs from the PC, instead of bringing it to a random guy who will "judge its potential"

-You can take eggs from the daycare even when you have a full party so you can fill boxes with eggs and hatch them later

-With Pok? Pelago you can leave Pok?mon there for a few hours to be EV trained, rather than have to buy the special items with BP and then go battle specific Pok?mon to get the EVs you want

-Introduction of Bottle Caps, which can actually "fix" a Pok?mon's IVs, which I've found super helpful time and time again with my shinies who sometimes hatch with one or two awful stats

maybe more I'm not thinking of... anyway, all that said, I'm also an adult player who's been playing since Gen 2 and I personally enjoyed Sun/Moon even with its many flaws. It does not have the charm and replay value of its predecessors but it's good for a single playthrough of the story and then lots of Pok?mon collecting afterwards, if you're into that part of the game. When you play the older games the difference in the quality of the story/characters/gameplay is literally staggering though LOL but I'm a pretty casual player who loves the series to death so it doesn't take much to impress me!

Last edited:
To be honest, I actually like the system we have now rather than the gyms. As for the handholding and removal of national dex, not only it was a problem in Sun and Moon, but this is pretty much what future games are gonna get.

But if there's one fatal flaw with Pokemon that needs to be fixed next game, it would have to be that the Ice Type has only one resistance. As a type with four common weaknesses and only one resistance (itself), Gamefreak doesn't even realize how bad the Ice Type is.

If the national sec was in the game
1)the game would be mASSIVE
2)too much lag

I am considering getting it and trading my copy of Moon after I trade with myself. I really just don't want to make my festival plaza good again. I have a lot of 5 star facilities that I like, but it would take a ton of fc to take them from myself. I never finished Moon because it seemed too easy and I kept getting bored with it. The only thing that interests me about Ultra Moon is Team Rainbow Rocket. I kind of want to battle every bad guy from every game. It is also cool that you can get so many legendaries in the new game.

Honestly I thought the games were really eventful and I loved the new Pokemon

I am considering getting it and trading my copy of Moon after I trade with myself. I really just don't want to make my festival plaza good again. I have a lot of 5 star facilities that I like, but it would take a ton of fc to take them from myself. I never finished Moon because it seemed too easy and I kept getting bored with it. The only thing that interests me about Ultra Moon is Team Rainbow Rocket. I kind of want to battle every bad guy from every game. It is also cool that you can get so many legendaries in the new game.

USUM is much more difficult that SuMo and really brings a challenge, especially later on in the game.

My first was Gen One, but disclaimer, I stopped liking the games after Gen Three. I tried all of the Pokemon games since and beat them, even though I had little interest in them at all. With Sun/Moon, I couldn't even tolerate it past the first trail. It was awful. So much has changed since Gen One in such an unbearable way with the newest games. I also hate the bubbly, round style they use in character design now. It just doesn't feel like Pokemon anymore. I don't know how else to describe it.

For me I hated every minute of Sun. I did the first couple of trials and then got bored of it, and I struggled to get up to that point. It feels more like a spin-off than a regular Pokemon game.

Back