• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Would I Hate Sun & Moon?

primandimproper

Transgender Trainwreck
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0008-9983-6893
May Birthstone (Emerald)
Tasty Cake
Isabelle
Ok, so I am debating getting Pokemon: Ultra Sun next month. I did not have a chance to play the original version of the game because I did not have a DS at that time. However, I did watch some of Zack Scott's LP before it got too painful to watch. So I discovered that Nintendo has done away with the Gym system in Pokemon: Sun???

Honestly, that's all I really know about the game other than the starters. My question to you guys is: Would I as someone who has played Pokemon since Generation One get any enjoyment out of this game?

Obviously, I won't know for sure until I actually play the game. But I am guessing that I am not the only one in this situation. Hopefully, you guys will be able to share your experiences with me. Oh, and don't worry -- I don't mind spoilers.

Thanks in advance.

idk im somone who came from playing gen 5 and gen 6 and i hated the gymless system

As someone who has loved Pokemon since I was able to play it (started on yellow), let me give you my 2 cents. I have gotten the games since they came out and I always get through it within a month. When I was younger and had fewer responsibilities, I could get through them in a week. I've had Sun since it came out (approximately) and I still haven't finished it. I don't know if I've just hit a rough patch and I'm bored, but I haven't felt inclined to pick it back up. I love Pokemon and that's weird for me, but honestly, I can't really get into it. Who knows though, your experience with it could be different!

As someone who has loved Pokemon since I was able to play it (started on yellow), let me give you my 2 cents. I have gotten the games since they came out and I always get through it within a month. When I was younger and had fewer responsibilities, I could get through them in a week. I've had Sun since it came out (approximately) and I still haven't finished it. I don't know if I've just hit a rough patch and I'm bored, but I haven't felt inclined to pick it back up. I love Pokemon and that's weird for me, but honestly, I can't really get into it. Who knows though, your experience with it could be different!

thats my problem too - i just got bored of it and can never stay interested in it enough to actually play it

I actually liked the trials more than gyms. But I would prefer badges as awards for trials. And if they were any harder, they would be a lot better. Besides, the gym feature is old and repeated.

But if you were playing Pokemon since the start, here are the major flaws:

1. No national dex - this can only be found in the Pok? Bank.
2. Game is more story oriented than just gameplay. The plot is good, but it stops you at certain points for long dialogue. They should probably replace these sections with cutscenes in the next game.
3. Dig is no longer a TM. It’s been replaced with Leech Life, which was an old move, and never a TM or HM.
4. They now give you more instructions on how to play in-game and give you objective points on the map. If you like doing this without help, this may spell trouble. Someone even opted out of buying Sun and Moon because of this.

But if you want to play Pokemon Sun and Moon, I recommend playing Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and not play Pokemon Sun and Moon at all. Ultra Sun/Moon is basically a remake with more features, and choosing between Sun and Ultra Sun is like choosing between a single scoop ice cream and a double scoop ice cream of the same flavor.

I actually liked the trials more than gyms. But I would prefer badges as awards for trials. And if they were any harder, they would be a lot better. Besides, the gym feature is old and repeated.

But if you were playing Pokemon since the start, here are the major flaws:

1. No national dex - this can only be found in the Pok? Bank.
2. Game is more story oriented than just gameplay. The plot is good, but it stops you at certain points for long dialogue. They should probably replace these sections with cutscenes in the next game.
3. Dig is no longer a TM. It’s been replaced with Leech Life, which was an old move, and never a TM or HM.
4. They now give you more instructions on how to play in-game and give you objective points on the map. If you like doing this without help, this may spell trouble. Someone even opted out of buying Sun and Moon because of this.

But if you want to play Pokemon Sun and Moon, I recommend playing Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and not play Pokemon Sun and Moon at all. Ultra Sun/Moon is basically a remake with more features, and choosing between Sun and Ultra Sun is like choosing between a single scoop ice cream and a double scoop ice cream of the same flavor.

The bolded sounds awful. I do not want to be stuck in tutorial mode the whole game T.T

If you like competitive play and traning your Pok?mons hardcore, you'll love it. Personally I play really casually and pretty much derp around with WT/GTS and completing stories more like a side stuff to be honest, always been more of a collector.

I didn't mind the changes/lack of gyms, but the game sure is easy. If you're looking for something very easy which more or less plays itself, then you may like it. If you're looking for challenge, then unless you're very young I don't think it offers much. It's kind of a My First RPG for beginners.

The bolded sounds awful. I do not want to be stuck in tutorial mode the whole game T.T

The real bad news is that this is exactly what all future Pokemon games are going to be like. They would've done so in the past angway, which they didn't because of data limitations. They do give tutorials on first-try stuff like how to use Z-crystals or mantine surfing, but beyond that, they only label objective points.

It's also worth noting that if you refuse to buy any of the games because of the "handholding", then you're not a true Pokemon fan. It's worth giving a try, and if you don't like it, that's fine.

I didn't mind the changes/lack of gyms, but the game sure is easy. If you're looking for something very easy which more or less plays itself, then you may like it. If you're looking for challenge, then unless you're very young I don't think it offers much. It's kind of a My First RPG for beginners.

See, now this makes me not want to buy it. I like Pokemon because I enjoy the challenge of battles and breeding, etc. But I beat X/Y in three days and the story sucked, which was very disappointing.

I am very curious to see what kinda story Nintendo has churned out now that the Gym system is gone. Plus, I don't wanna miss out on the next gen. I really don't have money to be throwing around on games I'm never gonna play, though.

It seems I have a lot of thinking to do.

Aw, I don't want to put you off. I've played Pok?mon games since Red on GBC and I just found Sun easier than the previous entries. It's still a good game and it looks great, it's just very easy.

Well the story of Sun/Moon/US/UM is better than the story in X/Y (at least in my opinion), so there is that. Arguably, for a veteran of the series, the story is the best part about the new games. The lack of difficulty isn't unique to Gen 7, it's the exact same as in Gen 6: it feels like they had someone run through the game with the experience share turned off and not fighting any wild encounters/optional trainers, and set the levels of the required fights accordingly. Like Alolan_Apples said, this is likely going to be the new norm for the series. From that perspective, I'd recommend getting at least one of the four Gen 7 games to see if you can at least tolerate it.

For what it's worth, I personally enjoyed my play throughs of Sun and Ultra Sun, but I don't think I'd play through the main story again, at least not any time soon.

Ah, yeah, I will probably buy Ultra Sun next month just so I won't feel left out. It was bad enough that I missed the Pokemon Go craze (no cellphone at that time). I don't wanna miss out on this, too. Guess I will buy it and hope for the best, although nothing can top the storyline in Black/White, imo.

It's also worth noting that if you refuse to buy any of the games because of the "handholding", then you're not a true Pokemon fan. It's worth giving a try, and if you don't like it, that's fine.

Lmao, and you are a fake apple fan because you never said thank you to mine :rolleyes:

Okay, to be on topic, I wish people would with this true and fake fans. We have different preferences, playstyles, goals etc. I guess a lot of people would be fake fans because of this.

Also yeah the handholding IS extreme compared to basically any other main game because they do it like every 5 minutes, be it roadblocks or just how to use stuff. They could have cut half of the content and it'd still be playable.

Okay, to be on topic, I wish people would with this true and fake fans. We have different preferences, playstyles, goals etc. I guess a lot of people would be fake fans because of this.

Also yeah the handholding IS extreme compared to basically any other main game because they do it like every 5 minutes, be it roadblocks or just how to use stuff. They could have cut half of the content and it'd still be playable.

I'm not saying that hating it because of the handholding will make you a fake fan. It's opting out of buying it because of something in particular that you don't like that makes me believe you're not a true fan. A true Pokemon fan would appreciate every generation regardless of the flaws. They can opt out of buying the other version or second game if the first game wasn't any good. But not even buying the first game because of something in particular doesn't make you a fake fan either. A true "fake fan" would be those who are bandwagon fans or are biased to one generation (i.e. genwunners).

I'm not saying that hating it because of the handholding will make you a fake fan. It's opting out of buying it because of something in particular that you don't like that makes me believe you're not a true fan. A true Pokemon fan would appreciate every generation regardless of the flaws. They can opt out of buying the other version or second game if the first game wasn't any good. But not even buying the first game because of something in particular doesn't make you a fake fan either. A true "fake fan" would be those who are bandwagon fans or are biased to one generation (i.e. genwunners).

Lmao, no you don't have to buy every generation of games or game series to be a "true"(whatever that is) fan. I mean if you skip one or two just because you don't like it, it's fine. You can't possible love 100% of the games all day every day and embrace all the flaws. f you don't like stuff in a game, you don't have to get it. Dude, calm down.

Lmao, no you don't have to buy every generation of games or game series to be a "true"(whatever that is) fan. I mean if you skip one or two just because you don't like it, it's fine. You can't possible love 100% of the games all day every day and embrace all the flaws. f you don't like stuff in a game, you don't have to get it. Dude, calm down.

There’s no need to tell me to calm down. I’m not even arguing.

It’s worth giving it a try, and if you can’t even stand the game after 10 minutes, it’s fine.

There?s no need to tell me to calm down. I?m not even arguing.

It?s worth giving it a try, and if you can?t even stand the game after 10 minutes, it?s fine.

There's no reason for you to accuse me of anyone else of not being a true fan. I've been watching and playing Pokemon for the past 20 years of my life, and I have tattoo of a Pikachu in a very intimate place. I played the song "Gotta Catch 'Em All" at my wedding. Plus, I just said I was buying the game next month after I get paid. If I can't stand it 10 minutes in, I will return it. End of story.

If that makes me "not a true fan", regardless of everything I said, then whatever. I don't live my life to please you and I certainly don't have to adhere to whatever standards you set to be a true fan.

There's no reason for you to accuse me of anyone else of not being a true fan. I've been watching and playing Pokemon for the past 20 years of my life, and I have tattoo of a Pikachu in a very intimate place. I played the song "Gotta Catch 'Em All" at my wedding.

Sounds like a true fan to me.

But yes, the handholding in this game is excessive. But the real bad news is that it’s a new normal that handholding is going to be extreme in the future Pokemon games. I think they are trying to appeal to newcomers just as much as they’re trying to appeal to the older fans. Hence the handholding.

There’s no need to tell me to calm down. I’m not even arguing.

It’s worth giving it a try, and if you can’t even stand the game after 10 minutes, it’s fine.

Yeah I agree you should maybe try unless the videos give away real true vibes it bad or you know all the mechanics beforehand, but yeah you need to stop accusing people of not being "true fans". I've played most of the main series except for Japanese Blue and Ultra Sun as well as a few side games and owned lots of Pok?mon merch and cards throughout the years, so yeah.

I did try Ultra Moon, and it was playable to a point I'm not gonna spoil but you are gonna notice it, everyone who plays that far and yeah I hated it.

Back