• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How often do you upgrade your phone?

Never. I've only ever had three smartphones and about two flip phones in all my life. I guess I did get my first phone in Year 7, and I did graduate Year 12 last year, so I do suppose that that isn't a long time. But still.

About every 3-4 years? I still have my first phone and it's been randomly shutting down on me which is pretty annoying. I'd like to get a new phone next year or in the next 6 months.

I’d say about every 2 years. I don’t do it every year because it’s too hard to transfer data and stuff from my old phone to my new phone.

I've only had one smartphone that I got for Christmas in 2016 and I still haven't upgraded it LOL.

whenever it gets too slow to bear
i've only ever had 2 smartphones.

When it breaks.

I'm not one to spend every waking moment on my phone, I only really use it to call people (surprisingly) and read manga on the bus. It's not like there's any worth to upgrading it unless I NEED to.

are we talking about physical phones or operating systems
i update my ios as soon as i can but this is only the second phone i've ever had. i got this phone after having my last one for three years, and i've had my current one for about the same time. i'll probably ask for a new phone before college, let's see what sorta nonsense apple's whipped up by then

I've gotten a new phone every 2 years or so since I got my first phone ever. Though they've all been hand-me-down used phones; the one I just got is an S7 and it was brand new when I got it so I'm thinking I'll have it for quite a long time before I get a different phone.

As for OS.... I only update it when it's absolutely 100% required. In other words, I never update my OS. My iPhone 4S still has iOS 8.1 on it xDD

Last edited:
once a year just about when my contract says I can and once the one prior is paid off.

I only buy a new one when my old one dies.

However, since all my friends and family members constantly (at least every two years, some even more often) upgrade their phones, I often wind up with somebody’s “old” phone - even if it’s just a few months old :B Needless to say, I never had to buy a new one - and still have a model that was released last year. It’s crazy and a bit scary, really.

I've had two phones so far. The first one I replaced once the 2 year contract was up because the battery was basically dead. The second one I've had for 1.5 years and it still works really well, so I don't plan on replacing it right when the contract ends.

Hard to say, my first phone got stolen back in middle school. I got a second but never really used it as well, only to get called by my mother and such. I finally started to really use my third which was just like the previous ones quite cheap, mostly game & youtube lol.

I kept it for like two years or so, maybe three and I finally got an actual phone back in june. I'm going to keep it for 3 years or so.

I can do more but I feel like it will start to slow down just like my previous one did, doing great then horrible slow monster to open or close an app. Samsung & cie eh

Last edited:
i got my first smartphone in 2013, and i upgraded for my current one in... early 2017. so once every four years, is my guess

every two years

Every two years so far. I always get really excited when I get a new one and think when my contract is finished I'll just keep the same phone but I'm always tired of it by the end and I want a new one

all my contracts have been every 2 years but i think this might be the first time i end it early because my phone is completely ruined and i'm not sure it will last the 6 months it has left. reminder for self to always get insurance...

not often because i am a poor gurl
and even if i had decent money on me, i would not get a new phone every year or two years
it is ridiculous and waste of money in my opinion

Back