• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What's the kindest thing anyone's done for you?

Once when I was living with my aunt, her dogs chewed up $35 worth of library books. I paid off half it myself. Then some random lady standing in line behind me paid off the rest of the fine after I was leaving.

Oh, and also when my relatives let me stay with them when I was homeless. The shelters where I live only let you stay there for 30 days. If you can't find in an apartment within that period, you're on your own.

When I won my first-place trophy here for the Smash Bros. tournament, my long-distance partner wrote a poem for me as a reward, and recorded himself reading it.

It sounds silly, but nobody has ever gone out of their way to do anything like that for me before. I find it really strange how someone can think of me and acknowledge me like that. It was really lovely. I also really appreciated it because I know he doesn't write poetry very often, so it was just something I knew was very sincere and special.

My bestfriend wrote me a song.. :')
Also my friends have thrown me two surprise birthday parties over the years.. I LOVE MY FRIENDS T_T

There was a thread on Reddit that asked what we wanted for Christmas.

I posted that Destiny 2 was on my list, but that I wasn't able to buy it this year due to finances. Someone private messaged me and told me that they would buy it for me if I didn't get it.

Sure enough, I didn't. He messaged me and I told him. A few minutes later he messaged me with a code for the $100 digital deluxe version. I was blown away that a random internet stranger would do something like that. It made my day and when I'm able to, I want to pay it forward.

Wow, this is honestly an incredibly hard question for me to answer. Mostly because i really don't know what the kindest thing someone's done for me.

I would probably have to say when I was elementary school, I had a friend who would stick by me no matter what whenever I was bullied.

I can't think of a kind thing anyone has done for me but I just wanted to say all of these stories are making me really happy

my Mom not only gave birth to me, but honestly nobody could ever do more for a person than everything she did for my siblings and I throughout our lives....

Omg this thread makes me so happy!
Maybe my mum and grandparents visiting me when I was in a mental hospital every day, despite living 30-45 minutes away.
If I'm to exclude my family, I don't know lol. Maybe when one of my friends gave me his shiny Clauncher that he caught literally moments before giving it to me back in the XY days. I remember we used to play Gen 5 local play together all the time, and him playing Gen 5 with me when I felt like I was trapped in a desolate land of loneliness made me so happy. I couldn't have asked for a better friend. I miss when we used to hang out. :/ Appreciate your friends, everyone.

My senior year of High School I was forced to go to a new school, because my mom's crappy boyfriend at the time convinced her that homeschooling through the alternative high school wouldn't count as going to a real high school...(which was untrue because you got a diploma and actually got to choose a school to walk with...) so I got thrown from a school I went to for three years, into a new school in a new town with no friends and depression. Because I was over on credits I really only had to take 2 classes but to be a student I had to take two extra classes so I chose to take art and photography.

The teacher of my photography class was fresh out of school herself, and it was her very first year of teaching, to say the least she was very unprepared to be a teacher. She was super nice though, it's just the "troll" kids would really get to her, and maybe only 20% of the class took it seriously at all. I had already taken a digital photography class, as well as digital art class at my old school, so I already knew everything, so I basically became her assistant in the class, I would help the other students and what have you.

Well since I was depressed, and had no friends, I swore off doing any of the normal "senior" things that you do in school, didn't go on senior trip, or prom, and I didn't even walk the stage. So along with those things I also didn't plan on purchasing a yearbook, because it's not like I even had friends to sign it, and it was like $60 for a freaking yearbook, which I couldn't afford.

In class we would earn little tickets for Jeopardy questions, and she would have different things to win at the end of each week, mostly it was candy and little do-dads from the dollar store, but it was fun. Since she was also the yearbook teacher at the end of the year she put a free yearbook in the raffle a week before they were printed, she kept telling me she hoped I would be the one who won it because "every senior needs a yearbook" she said. But I wasn't the lucky name called.

When the yearbooks were printed, since we had her class, the people who bought yearbooks got to get them early instead of waiting until they actually were ready for pickup. So right before the end of class she called everyone's name who got a yearbook up to get theirs, and then she called my name. I looked at her confused as the bell rang and everyone started leaving the class, I went up and she handed it to me. She said she actually bought it for me because I was her favorite student, and that without me she probably wouldn't have made it through the year with all the little jerks she had in the class. I told her she shouldn't have, and we were both getting kind of soppy starting to cry, and I told her she needed to be the first signature in it, and she asked me to sign hers too. We were all sniffling and she told me I had to go because she was gunna start crying again and she had a class coming in soon. It was honestly the sweetest thing ever.

My memory isn't the best, so this probably isn't the number one kindest thing, but I went through a really messed up situation in the early 2010s and my best friend pretty much let me vent about it daily without asking anything in return. I'm so extremely grateful for them.

Also, this didn't happen directly to me but it benefitted me, but once my Mom forgot where she put her money while buying groceries and the person behind us paid for them.

When dad died, I had no idea how to plan a funeral. I was totally alone.
I spoke to a guy at the funeral home and he said he used to have a beer with my dad.
I had no money then, and only had dads old car.
The funeral guy gave my dad a beautiful funeral, with flowers and everything, and he only wanted the old car, which we both knew wasn't worth anything.

It was an outside funeral.
I'm just glad I found someone who cared more about giving dad a nice funeral, than money.

A kind and selfless act, that I will be forever grateful for.

Dad was my best mate.

i really can't remember
maybe my friends thinking about my feelings? i know thats what friends should do anyway but i'm grateful for it, still...
also i don't really remember what happened but i think a guy in my class knows how i don't speak up if i need something so he got me the worksheet. it doesn't sound like much but to me i meant a lot.

Gave me vinyl records for free, like they weren't that many dolares each but it was really kind to do tbh. It was when I used to visit a vinyl store regularly so some years ago but yeah man :3

My girlfriend always being there literally and doing things for me that nobody could ever do. You could probably say I'm spoiled because that isn't supposed to happen often and while it rarely happens for some people, I experience that kindest thing everyday :)

when i had a panic attack about the silliest thing (my jumper which i left at my boyf's house smelling like me) he called me and sat there quietly through it and then asked if i was ok and if he should drive down and i felt so loved and warm

My parents for taking care of me for years while I was sick. It must of been a nightmare for them, and they still let me make my own decisions.

A guy who worked at EB Games gave me his copy of the Halo Reach (the last halo game imo) legendary collectors edition because they had none left in the country and it was my birthday. He even three together leftover bonuses from the special edition that were excluded from the legendary edition, so I ended up having a unique mix of cosmetics in game that most if not all of the other people in the world didn't have access to.

It's sad that this is what I can remember as an act of kindness ^-^ (rest in peace Halo Reach... )

Idk it doesn't happen much loool
But one time when I worked at Disney this lady who had 2 little girls with down syndrome was telling me how their trip so far was a nightmare. She had a seizure and her daughters were tramautized. I spoke to her for a little while and helped her with what she needed, and wished her a safe rest of her trip. She called me over later on and introduced me to her daughters and they asked me to sign my autograph in their little disney princess autograph books :') It wasn't necessarily "kind", but it made me feel like I was actually doing a good job for once lol I almost got emotional. I really hope that lady and her daughters had a good trip.

Last edited:
Back