• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Quick question about traditional art supplies!

cosmylk

ENG • 日本語OK
Bells
Spirit Candy: Wix
Pink Candy
Purple Candy
So lately, I just haven't had the inspiration/motivation to do much digital art work and I've really been wanting to work on my traditional art. So I have a few questions for the traditional artists of these here parts (heh).

Alright, so assuming money isn't an issue and basing your answers on your experiences:

o1. What brand outline markers would you suggest and why?
o2. What brand coloring markers would you suggest and why?
o3. What brand watercolor paints/pencils would you suggest and why?
o4. What tips can you give to a new-ish traditional artist?

any and all help is very very much appreciated ♥

Last edited:
1) faber castell is a really good brand for outlining and detail, as they dont bleed and theyre waterproof

2) prismacolor, copic and winston are amazing for coloring! they all have a wide selection of colors, pris and copic dont bleed too badly, but winston you have to be careful with

3) I dont actually use a specific brand of watercolors, I just kinda use whatever is higher quality at the art store lol

4) when using markers, its best to use watercolor paper! it absorbs colors better to prevent bleeding and just over all looks better
dotting and careful vertical strokes seem to work best for me, but you can do whatever works best for you c:

And lastly, when blending colors, you want to go over the first layer while its still wet, then go back over it with the first color to smooth it out

hope I helped some, good luck!! I love traditional art 0 V0

1) faber castell is a really good brand for outlining and detail, as they dont bleed and theyre waterproof

2) prismacolor, copic and winston are amazing for coloring! they all have a wide selection of colors, pris and copic dont bleed too badly, but winston you have to be careful with

3) I dont actually use a specific brand of watercolors, I just kinda use whatever is higher quality at the art store lol

4) when using markers, its best to use watercolor paper! it absorbs colors better to prevent bleeding and just over all looks better
dotting and careful vertical strokes seem to work best for me, but you can do whatever works best for you c:

And lastly, when blending colors, you want to go over the first layer while its still wet, then go back over it with the first color to smooth it out

ohh never knew Faber Castel had outline marker, I'll have to give them a squiz.
and yea, I've been researching on which paper would be the best to use for each type. I haven't really decided what sort of traditional art I want to go for, I've always wanted to try good water color paints (not the ones from like the children 300 art set haha) but at the same time I want to use markers because I fell I would have more control over them ; xxx;

I like both! you do need a lot more patience and supplies for painting, but ut is fun 0 v0

- I would reccomend Micron pens! they come in many different colours and sizings, and don't bleed when used with copic markers or watercolours! the only downside is that if you tend to move your supplies around a lot the ink tends to leak out. i would also recommend NOT using black ink, try using a colour that compliments the colours in your drawing!

- if you live near a TIGER store (might be called flying tiger abroad??) i would pick up some of the alcohol markers they have!!! they work surprisingly well despite their price (?3 for a pack of three i believe?). theyre a little vibrant though!! i can also recommend pastel highlighters - theyre ood for doodling out and about when you dont have your supplies with you. also, i hear tombow water based brush pens are good!

- i like to use winsor and newton cotman watercolours. i have a small set (14 colours i think?), but they mix well and extra 'cakes' are cheap if you want to get more. i also recommend getting an aquabrush, so you can paint when you're away from home! i cant say much about watercolour pencils though, since i only use them for sketching.

- lighting is super important for taking pictures of your art!
- don't worry about getting everything perfect. whilst w/ digital art you tend to feel like everything has to be perfect, with traditional it can give it a certain charm, in a way. dont worry about the eyes either!
- experiment with what methods work best for you! some people do the lineart last, some do the sketch then lineart then colours - whatever works! theres no set method.

- - - Post Merge - - -

tbh id disagree with this?? i use copic markers for most of my colouring, and it tends to bleed through like three layers of paper and generally just looks messy and ew. use the right papers for what marker youre using!!!

Sakura Microns!!! I've tried a lot of other brands but this is still my fave
if you don't mind splurging a bit more, you can go for copic multiliners, which are a bit nicer​

promarkers (winsor and newton, NOT LETRASET) because they blend, have vibrant colors and are cheaper than copics //lmao
EDIT: What Hime said too, I have a bunch of tiger markers as replacement for copics (lmao)
the colours are crazy good for the cheap price, but I really only use the black/grey/light grey markers because the other colours are too vibrant for me to be comfortable putting into my work orz​

I'm a cheapo so I stick to winsor and newton cotman watercolors... the pigment isn't super amazing but it's good enough for a beginner​

• Paper is important for both marker blending and watercolour blending.
  • Markers have a tendency to bleed on wrong paper. Markers will bleed. Markers will bleed.
  • watercolour: WATER EVERYTHING DOWN.... the only white you have is the paper, don't trust white liners too much
  • if you're looking for a white liner I recommend gelly roll - smaller tip and actually puts the colors down
  • you're also supposed to get colour from a colour wash instead of directly from the palette, mix more of the desired color if you're going to use a lot because it'll be hard to get the same hue again
  • consider using a separate piece of paper to test the colour before putting it onto the artwork (saves lives)
  • consider using a mix of all your tools, sometimes you need it because the colour / effect isn't what you want
  • if you draw out with watercolour, consider getting a water brush like pentel's aquash
  • light pencil strokes, it's hard to erase stuff away
  • anatomy will be a pain and only practice will cure it
  • don't do traditional it is pain and suffering to a digital artist

gl with traditional hell o/

Last edited:
tbh id disagree with this?? i use copic markers for most of my colouring, and it tends to bleed through like three layers of paper and generally just looks messy and ew. use the right papers for what marker youre using!!!

I guess it's a matter of opinion lol, but she's right, def do your research when buying markers! They're all different, and react differently to paper
another thing about paints, the brushes are important, as well! Low quality brushes will definitely affect your work

thanks guys, I have a general idea of what to look for.
I miss drawing on paper so much, but I never really did it properly (you know I use colored pencils and junk)
but I'm deffs looking forward to it, (makes me appreciate the technology advances haha..)

If you're seeking mixed media papers, go no further than this one from Canson. Creative aficionados should keep this paper on hand at all times for all of their art requirements. It can accept a variety of materials, so if you're transitioning from Prismacolor markers to other writing mediums, this paper may meet your demands.

Last edited:
Just misc tips, but:

• do some research on how to take good photos/scans of trad art. it makes an enormous difference!
ramune.png
CYMERA_20200502_022257.jpg

• don't get too caught up in the ~fancy expensive~ art tools showcased on youtube. I've never once seen a crayon speedpaint that wasn't a joke or a "challenge," but the pic above was colored with a normal boring old 12 pack of crayola crayons! (lineart is a black sakura micron pigma & gray pilot juice) Crayons are cheap, vibrant, easy to layer & blend, don't need special paper, and don't make a mess, so you might find them easier to control than wet media that require fancy paper. If you have any laying around, give 'em a go!
Post automatically merged:

wait this thread is old af and got necro'd randomly, but hey if anyone's looking

Back