• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

do villagers actually wear the clothes you give them?

vvindows98

always down 2 clown
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
i've started sending my villagers shirts in the post but i don't know if they'll wear them?? i've never seen it happen but i don't do it very often (or pay attention lmao). i hope they DO wear the shirts because they keep changing into ugly ones :/

You have to mail them 5 of the shirts you want them to wear.
They will wear it!

I've just done this in my town.
Someone started a Tulip Shirt trend (IKR?)

Now they're wearing Noble Shirts. ^_^

They will wear it!

Oh, good grief, that is too much work for me! Currently about 2/3 of my villagers are wearing Felynes outfit. Most of them look pretty good in it, too. I can think of a lot worse shirts, right?!

I need to try something myself because Julian is wearing some ugly yellow number and he has two more of the exact same shirt in his house. I don't know where he's been getting them from.

Tutu had changed out of her cute Heart tee into that butt ugly twinkle tee that everyone in Ossipri is obsessed with wearing, well I sent her the Heart tee in the mail and she put it on. I only sent her one shirt.

They will wear it!

Do I have to send them one a day or can I just send 5 at once?

They will wear it!

Wouldn't this end up with them displaying the four they didn't wear in their house? I'm not doubting the effectiveness, but for me, if they start replacing furniture with the excess shirts and make their houses look bad it wouldn't be a worthwhile sacrifice.

Do I have to send them one a day or can I just send 5 at once?

Five at once.
I did this with Stu and a few others. ^_^

- - - Post Merge - - -

Wouldn't this end up with them displaying the four they didn't wear in their house? I'm not doubting the effectiveness, but for me, if they start replacing furniture with the excess shirts and make their houses look bad it wouldn't be a worthwhile sacrifice.

They will display only one. ^_^

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, good grief, that is too much work for me! Currently about 2/3 of my villagers are wearing Felynes outfit. Most of them look pretty good in it, too. I can think of a lot worse shirts, right?!

The Felyne outfit is awesome!

To my knowledge, they can only display one of the same shirt in their house, but yes, if you mail them a shirt, they might use it as furniture. To clarify the original advice, though, what's actually going on is that when you mail a villager a shirt, they have several different options for what they can do with it. They might wear it, or keep it in their pockets (I think?) or sell it, or display it in their home. I've never tested to see exactly how many options there are (five might be correct) but it's random, it's not like villagers won't wear the shirt until you've tried four other times. I often mail my villagers replacement shirts, because I'm not very controlling about houses, and I'd say they change into the shirt about 1 time out of 3 or 4.

I sent Stu five shirts, and he is still wearing it two months on.

No doubt, they will change shirts eventually, but you can limit it.

Display only umbrella's at the Able Sisters, unless you want them to wear a design and not a specific shirt.

Don't do delivery requests!

That is how I unwittingly started the 'Tulip Shirt Trend' in my town.

It was truly horrid! O_O

Last edited:
Each time I've sent a villager a shirt (just one), they've started wearing it later that same day.

I bought the chick tee I gave to Lucky after I found out he was using for decor. Then Peaches bought it off me for 84 Bells and changed right into it.

Back