• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How do you deal with a heartbreak?

I hate to admit it, but moving on has always been the quickest and most straight forward solution to heartbreak for me. I believe I have never truly gotten over someone on my own without moving on with someone else first. Basically entering a new relationship severs all of my remaining ties to the previous one. I have been able to get over someone to a certain extent on my own, but several ties still remained on them until I finally found someone else.

Last edited:
I can't.
But... when this happened to me years back, time was the medicine after all.
Time, and everyday communication with people who love me filled the deep painful crack in my heart gradually.

Back in 2014, a girl I really liked rejected me. It was definitely one of the most dramatic events of my life for several reasons.
I didn't like this particular girl that long (it was only during the second semester of my 8th grade year), but one of my friends was acting very creepy towards her, and more than likely liked her as well. He ultimately told her how I felt about her as revenge for doing something he didn't like (which was telling his ex-girlfriend not to listen to his lies, as he claimed that I thought she was on drugs even though I never said that). While obviously she wouldn't have liked me regardless of the role my friend played, it didn't help at all.
Plus, just four days after she rejected me, my grandpa passed away and he was just 72 years old. All of the reasons are why I don't miss 2014 at all, as being rejected by a girl I really liked and my grandpa passing away really got to me. Also, once I started my freshman year of high school, my grades weren't that great, but that's another story.
But, anyways, I often tried working out and whatnot just to relieve the stress for the next few days, but once I found out my grandpa was gone, I went through several days feeling awful. It honestly took a month for me to begin feeling like my normal self again.
Luckily I haven't had anything like that since then, but if I ever get rejected again, I would seriously hope I wouldn't lose another family member at the same time. It was so hard for me to go through that at once, especially at 14. I wouldn't wish what happened to me on anyone else.

Oh man... I was horrible at heartbreaks. I never really overcame them on my own. I simply moved on to someone else, as bad as it sounds.. I have my reasons. I was constantly looking for love since at the time my mother wasnt too affectionate (she still isn't but she's working on it) so I felt like I needed a man (boy). Most of my heartbreaks ended with me being in therapy.. yeah that bad e.e I would get too attached or too "obsessed" with the person. Since I took my relationships serious. My first relationship ever lasted for a year and a half, but then I broke it off because it became long distance and well i found someone else(I semi-regret it, but not really or else I wouldn't have been married to my husband today). Well lets just say this relationship only lasted 2 months because the guy got bored of me and didn't want to deal with my problems. I was only 13-14 so I mean I guess i understand now. But after that I was in one other relationship with someone but they left me due to social problems. I wasnt attached to the guy so i didn't care. But man I hated being rejected, especially when I was being led on. I hated that. Luckily my husband was the next boyfriend, and he actually stood by me. He accepted my past, accepted my depression, and accepted the problems I came with.
Though I hated being heartbroken. The feeling was intensified so much due to my depression.. So I had to go to therapy every time I was heartbroken or rejected. Yeah i didn't handle it well. Now, I've learned to deal with heartbreaks and such, with the passing of my best friend (my dog) Ive learned to handle it. Plus my husband is a great support system for me. Friends and just talking about it helped too. Plus I wrote in a journal and that really helps, that or on a piece of paper and then just burned it xD Ahh the smell of the smoke relieved so much.

Back