• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How To Deal With Random People Showing Up When Waiting on a Trade?

bcmii

The tense past is swaying
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Feedback
100% (61) +
Ok, so I just had an incident with a certain member of this lovely form. I had just finished a trade in my storage town (which means the ground is covered in items, bags of bells, etc; I trust the person I was trading with, so I wasn't worried about anything being taken when they dropped the things while I was afk), before suddenly realizing that the person I was trading with didn't drop all the items I ordered. I quickly VM'd that person and told them of my concern. I then opened my gate and waited for the person to show up.

I had informed the person I was trading with that I'd once again be AFK. I go away for less than 5 minutes, and come back to an unfamiliar person in my town. I had just assumed it was the person I was trading with, but using another save file.

I try to carry on the conversation from the VM, before it comes clear that the person has no idea what I am talking about. I finally ask, "Who are you?". And to my horror, it was somebody else. EVEN WORSE, they had been in my storage town for at least a good five minutes before I showed up, so who knows what they could've taken (Let me say this again there is a ton of stuff everywhere in my storage town, and a lot of it is really rare or valuable items :/).

Anyways, they tell me that they saw my gate was open and decided to come by (without even taking into consideration WHY my gate might be open. hmmmmm), and ask to look around my town. I don't know how to answer, as I'm pretty sure the only reason is because there is TONS OF FREAKING VALUABLE STUFF ON THE GROUND (Bells, golden tool sets, unorderable furniture, tons of hybrids in all variations, bush starts, etc.). I just end up telling them there isn't much to see, and explain to them that I store the stuff I am planing to sell in a shop on TBT in this town. THEY MISUNDERSTAND ME AND THINK I'M SELLING MY ENTIRE TOWN AND GET READY TO START TO GET READY TO TAKE EVERYTHING OFF THE GROUND AND PUT IT IN THEIR POCKETS/STORAGE BOX!!!!!!!!

At this point, I feel stuck, as I'm pretty sure the person is just a kid, and I don't have the heart to kick them out (In fear that they will get mad at me.), but at the same time I don't want them to take my stuff. I end up telling them that the only thing they can take is 1 inventory full of 99,000 bell bags.

You see I didn't actually want them to take the bells, but since I was pretty sure it was a kid, I didn't have the heart to kick them out, I'm just too nice. That was all good, until I started worrying that may have taken some stuff while I was gone. SO, I panicked and pressed the power button, thus ensuring that they didn't keep anything they took and that everything remained on the ground, as it should be.

Even worse, I know who this person is on the forum, and I am worried that they are now mad at me. It was just really uncalled for to have that person randomly show up in my town. . .I know that I should've just kicked him out in the first place, rather than trick him into thinking he could have some bells, but I just panicked in fear of making this kid mad at me. (Sucks being nice to everyone :/)

How would you guys deal with a situation like this, where a random person shows up and starts taking your stuff? The power button option seemed like the only possible way, as if they took something, and I ended the session, they would get away with it.

TL;DR What would you do if a kid showed up in your town while you were waiting on a trade and afk, and possibly started taking your stuff?

This whole thing was just uncalled for, and I'm just afraid I was the bad guy in this incident.

i would sort it out, talk to them. and if they dont stop taking my stuff i would kick them out ASAP so basicly this

me: please return all the stuff you took, im saving it to sell
kid either says ok or nope or why
me if no: : turns of internet :
me if yes: thank you, now please leave the town.
me if why: im saving it to sell to someone else to sell.

If something like that happened and I figured someone could've picked something up not meant for them I'd straight out say "Listen did you pick anything up from x area in town" and if they said yes I'd ask them to put it back and explain that I'd bought it/was selling it/whatever and hope they'd be understanding about it and do the right thing and I'd offer to maybe have them over to visit another time so I don't seem like I'm wanting to get rid of them asap and don't come across as kinda rude by outright saying "Great, now you've put my stuff down can you please leave" but if they refused to give the stuff back I'd turn off the console and remove their FC from my DS if I know who the person is/what their FC is.

If you think the kid might be mad at you you could try messaging them and if it comes across as them being mad at you just try explaining the situation and hope it resolves it or hope they're just not mad at you

I VM'd the person, and they seemed to fail to understand that just because the gate is open, doesn't mean they are allowed to come in my town. Like, when I go to the train station, tons of towns are usually open, but I never just randomly visit without asking or any warning.

IDK.

I would have shut the connection down right away. Especially if they just started taking stuff off the ground, kid or not. Just because someone is a kid, doesn't mean it's okay for them to steal.

People who are trying to their property aren't the bad guys. I shut the connection down before on someone when I felt uncomfortable with their actions. They were invited to my town. I never felt the bad guy for shutting down the connection or telling them to leave.

Our towns are our property we shouldn't feel bad for protecting our town. Ever.

Last edited:
well, people, I am the guy he was talking about, my name is Lars, and i am a 24 year old guy living on his own.
i indeed went to his town uninvited, i just go to towns when i see the are open.
upon arrival i always greed them with a hi or hello.
since he was AFK i didn't get an answer, so i waited a the station for a bit.
walked a little around the station to see if he was there, and yes, a was a little further down of the station.
i noticed all the items yes, but i have no interests in these items since i have almost everything already plus i already have the catalog badge, so there was really no point to even think about taking stuff.
plus i figured he probably sold it or just gotten a lot of stuff.
and also my entire inventory is full ( well the locker is )
so i indeed asked if i could look around ( i'm interested in what people do with their towns )
and he indeed said he was a shop ( i wasn't paying attention if he meant a shop, or that he sold his town cause i was also watching TV )
anyway, again, i did not take anything from him ( and i understand if he is suspicious, cause i would be too if i was in his shoes )

if you just told me to please leave i would've went away.
and maybe ask if i could visit your real town ( and not the store town i was in )

no i'm nod mad at you at all.
i would feel the exact same thing if i was in your shoes.
i mean, we don't know each other that well, i only bought like once or twice from you.

when i have trade going on, or just someone visiting, and someone else showed up, i just asked them to leave, and maybe come back another time.
and they always went away ( except for this one girl... but i just kicked her out and deleted her FC, and that's because she was destroying my town )
but i would NEVER take anything from anyone, or buy from main street, with permission.
and i would NEVER destroy someone life work in their town.
i worked very hard for my town, and i would be devastated if someone would destroy it, so i'm not going to do that.
and same goes for items, i wouldn't steal a thing, even if i saw and item i liked, i would just ask if it is for sale and buy it.
hell, i bought like half of the stuff i own with a little bit of interest on top of the price.

so no, man :)
i did not take anything from your town.
i politely waited till you responded and remained in your sight the entire time.

hope this clears everything up, not only for you, but for everyone reading all of this :)

Ok, so I just had an incident with a certain member of this lovely form. I had just finished a trade in my storage town (which means the ground is covered in items, bags of bells, etc; I trust the person I was trading with, so I wasn't worried about anything being taken when they dropped the things while I was afk), before suddenly realizing that the person I was trading with didn't drop all the items I ordered. I quickly VM'd that person and told them of my concern. I then opened my gate and waited for the person to show up.

I had informed the person I was trading with that I'd once again be AFK. I go away for less than 5 minutes, and come back to an unfamiliar person in my town. I had just assumed it was the person I was trading with, but using another save file.

I try to carry on the conversation from the VM, before it comes clear that the person has no idea what I am talking about. I finally ask, "Who are you?". And to my horror, it was somebody else. EVEN WORSE, they had been in my storage town for at least a good five minutes before I showed up, so who knows what they could've taken (Let me say this again there is a ton of stuff everywhere in my storage town, and a lot of it is really rare or valuable items :/).

Anyways, they tell me that they saw my gate was open and decided to come by (without even taking into consideration WHY my gate might be open. hmmmmm), and ask to look around my town. I don't know how to answer, as I'm pretty sure the only reason is because there is TONS OF FREAKING VALUABLE STUFF ON THE GROUND (Bells, golden tool sets, unorderable furniture, tons of hybrids in all variations, bush starts, etc.). I just end up telling them there isn't much to see, and explain to them that I store the stuff I am planing to sell in a shop on TBT in this town. THEY MISUNDERSTAND ME AND THINK I'M SELLING MY ENTIRE TOWN AND GET READY TO START TO GET READY TO TAKE EVERYTHING OFF THE GROUND AND PUT IT IN THEIR POCKETS/STORAGE BOX!!!!!!!!

At this point, I feel stuck, as I'm pretty sure the person is just a kid, and I don't have the heart to kick them out (In fear that they will get mad at me.), but at the same time I don't want them to take my stuff. I end up telling them that the only thing they can take is 1 inventory full of 99,000 bell bags.

You see I didn't actually want them to take the bells, but since I was pretty sure it was a kid, I didn't have the heart to kick them out, I'm just too nice. That was all good, until I started worrying that may have taken some stuff while I was gone. SO, I panicked and pressed the power button, thus ensuring that they didn't keep anything they took and that everything remained on the ground, as it should be.

Even worse, I know who this person is on the forum, and I am worried that they are now mad at me. It was just really uncalled for to have that person randomly show up in my town. . .I know that I should've just kicked him out in the first place, rather than trick him into thinking he could have some bells, but I just panicked in fear of making this kid mad at me. (Sucks being nice to everyone :/)

How would you guys deal with a situation like this, where a random person shows up and starts taking your stuff? The power button option seemed like the only possible way, as if they took something, and I ended the session, they would get away with it.

TL;DR What would you do if a kid showed up in your town while you were waiting on a trade and afk, and possibly started taking your stuff?

This whole thing was just uncalled for, and I'm just afraid I was the bad guy in this incident.

I would ask them if they took anything, if not then I would ask them to leave. IF they took anything I would press the power button / wireless switch to end the session without saving, making sure they didn’t keep any items.

well, people, I am the guy he was talking about, my name is Lars, and i am a 24 year old guy living on his own.
i indeed went to his town uninvited, i just go to towns when i see the are open.
upon arrival i always greed them with a hi or hello.
since he was AFK i didn't get an answer, so i waited a the station for a bit.
walked a little around the station to see if he was there, and yes, a was a little further down of the station.
i noticed all the items yes, but i have no interests in these items since i have almost everything already plus i already have the catalog badge, so there was really no point to even think about taking stuff.
plus i figured he probably sold it or just gotten a lot of stuff.
and also my entire inventory is full ( well the locker is )
so i indeed asked if i could look around ( i'm interested in what people do with their towns )
and he indeed said he was a shop ( i wasn't paying attention if he meant a shop, or that he sold his town cause i was also watching TV )
anyway, again, i did not take anything from him ( and i understand if he is suspicious, cause i would be too if i was in his shoes )

if you just told me to please leave i would've went away.
and maybe ask if i could visit your real town ( and not the store town i was in )

no i'm nod mad at you at all.
i would feel the exact same thing if i was in your shoes.
i mean, we don't know each other that well, i only bought like once or twice from you.

when i have trade going on, or just someone visiting, and someone else showed up, i just asked them to leave, and maybe come back another time.
and they always went away ( except for this one girl... but i just kicked her out and deleted her FC, and that's because she was destroying my town )
but i would NEVER take anything from anyone, or buy from main street, with permission.
and i would NEVER destroy someone life work in their town.
i worked very hard for my town, and i would be devastated if someone would destroy it, so i'm not going to do that.
and same goes for items, i wouldn't steal a thing, even if i saw and item i liked, i would just ask if it is for sale and buy it.
hell, i bought like half of the stuff i own with a little bit of interest on top of the price.

so no, man :)
i did not take anything from your town.
i politely waited till you responded and remained in your sight the entire time.

hope this clears everything up, not only for you, but for everyone reading all of this :)

Ok, thank you for clearing this up in a responsible manner :). If you ever want to visit, just ask me first, and I'd be more than happy to let you visit. I just don't like people coming into my storage town, because it is pretty easy to take stuff from there, since I have things there that lots of people usually want, such as: the 7-Eleven set, the sloppy series, a crap ton of wrapped 4-Leaf clovers, etc., etc.

Sorry about tricking you with the bells. If you want, I can let come over and take a couple million bells. :) :)

Last edited:
o.0 I see since I greet people when I come & say goodbye when I leave as well. I also am guilty of going to towns when gates are open :-D too. But I know about the AFK as well, and like to make my self seen o.0
I picked up something that wasn't mine on the ground too (lolz this happens) & someone picked up something that was on my ground (yep happens) both situations items were returned back.

But sorry Lars I would have totally turned that power button off to :-D or kicked you out

*freenimes* lolz

o.0 I see since I greet people when I come & say goodbye when I leave as well. I also am guilty of going to towns when gates are open :-D too. But I know about the AFK as well, and like to make my self seen o.0
I picked up something that wasn't mine on the ground too (lolz this happens) & someone picked up something that was on my ground (yep happens) both situations items were returned back.

But sorry Lars I would have totally turned that power button off to :-D or kicked you out

*freenimes* lolz

as i stated, i understand his reaction. :)
so no hard feelings

lolz no worries glad everything worked out
:-D
Sometime when my besties come over I forget to just invite them and not the WHOLE ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF WIDE WORLD *ackward*

(?_?) what even weirder is that if you pick up something by accident that was *SUPER* rare that you don't want (no offensive to OP) and they are looking over the whole wide universal web for you and you realize it ...like hold those acrons this is not mine >< and they TOTALLY FREAKING panic (not you bcmii O(rinigal) P(oster)

I picke up these gold roses (might have been blue or black)
And someone had one of those preppy villagerer mealtdownns (this was handle quite well )
but they decided to hunt me doen Zero Dark Thirty Anonymous style.

I was looking for them becase frankly I didn't want there roses heck I would have given them bells to take them off my hands.

I finally went to there town (because well I forgot who and what town it was :-? I was playing another game)
but i kept asking did someone take your rosses or did you lose.........
I found them (they were past bedlam about those roses)
But I gave them back

Ok, thank you for clearing this up in a responsible manner :). If you ever want to visit, just ask me first, and I'd be more than happy to let you visit. I just don't like people coming into my storage town, because it is pretty easy to take stuff from there, since I have things there that lots of people usually want, such as: the 7-Eleven set, the sloppy series, a crap ton of wrapped 4-Leaf clovers, etc., etc.

Sorry about tricking you with the bells. If you want, I can let come over you take a couple million bells. :) :)

i'd like to take that offer :)
thank you

Back