• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you prefer talking using your second language?

Rasha

Antisocial
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
2831-9285-1902
Isabelle
Lobo
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
White Rose
Jingle Christmas Doll
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Happy Home Designer Token
Orange Mote of Flame
English is my second language and ever since I was young I was really into learning more and more English outside of school. years ago I definitely wouldn't have been able to start threads speaking my mind like I do now, I'm not that good yet but I learned and improved a lot I feel more confident and way more expressible and fluent expressing my thoughts using it than my native language, it's been like that for the past 13 years I guess. note that I still speak mostly my native language.

Do you relate to this? the problem here is that because I prefer speaking my second language on daily bases I constantly get mocked and called out for it as people around me think it's pretty rude and cocky to speak with them this way but when I try to only speak my native language I go back to being that shy girl who just doesn't have enough social skills to hold up a conversation making me feel self conscious and feeling that I've done a mistake maybe?

I kept thinking that I am indeed very rude for trying to communicate with people using a language they're not fluent at and only today I found out why, it's as I stated before became so much a part of me that I feel lost and unable to socialize freely without, and I'm not even all that great at it really. what am I doing wrong in my life and how do I fix this I don't know. do you suggest that I should try to quit this habit so people would have more respect for me? it's just sad thinking about this.

Edit: I forgot to say that the people I speak with understand it well but they just feel offended as they find it to be unnatural and just wrong, I wouldn't insist on speaking the language if I knew they don't understand it

Last edited:
Well, yeah since English is my 2nd I mostly use that anyways, it almost feel more natural even if I have to look up some more weird words I seldom use sometimes. Sometimes I mix it with Swedish though when I speak.

Well, yeah since English is my 2nd I mostly use that anyways, it almost feel more natural even if I have to look up some more weird words I seldom use sometimes. Sometimes I mix it with Swedish though when I speak.

yeah that's how I speak, I mix between the two and not just speak one language

yeah that's how I speak, I mix between the two and not just speak one language

Same, sometime I hop around between those together with german and portuguese so yah it varies :p

I p much only speak Swedish irl with my parents/people i know or chatting with some people that know it online

Im at a very beginner level in French. I’m not capable of expressing complex thoughts yet, but one thing I do is whenever I say something in English I’m thinking how I would say it in French and it’s helping me learn a lot!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I find myself more and more wanting to use French words/phrases to respond to questions in English and I worry it makes me look stuck up or arrogant.
But honestly I’m just starting to feel more comfortable using both to express simple thoughts/actions.

I like using the languages I know, but most of my friends know only one or two so I mostly use English and Spanish on a day-to-day basis. Sometimes I get to use French, but I only have one friend who knows it so it's not used as much. My high school friends & I use Latin sometimes still, but it's been years since we've actually learned anything about the language.

My second language is Spanish. So if I’m around non-Spanish speakers and I want to tell my husband “hey let’s go home” and not sound rude to the host then yeah. But if I’m with a Spanish and English speaker host I am SO glad we took Japanese in college XD so I’ll tell him in Japanese. Other than that, I normally speak English.. Spanish is more of a discipline language for me, so when my husband or son are in trouble (yes my husband gets in trouble too) I yell in Spanish. They respect it more than English XD

I only have one language.
English.

I used to speak fluent drunkenese, but not anymore. ^_^

I'm not that confident with my English.. because I find it hard to use the right words to express myself with. Plus I really struggle with pronouncing the letter R, hahaha. So I prefer using my native language! :eek:

Mostly everyone I know has the same language combo - English & Spanish, as do I. Because of that, I speak what is commonly referred to as Spainglish. :)

I learnt English and Korean at the same time but since I went to an English speaking school I'm way more comfortable speaking English than Korean. I also have kept the same group of friends since college and we're all kinda multilinugual so their slangs and phrases from their country sometimes creeps into my speech. Plus, they always understand terms I use in Korean from time to time because I can't think of a better word for it in English (like sometimes it's more like a feeling of a word not a literal translation, so I don't like saying it in English).

English is also my second language, we had to take it as a subject in school and now I’m quiet fluent.
I was born speaking Fijian, but my parents aren’t Natives. Just learnt it because of all the people around me. Also, I’ve been speaking Japanese for about 6 years now. I’m pretty fluent in it.

Edit: oh lol I forgot to answer the question.
Yes, I love to speak English way more than Fijian. It really develops my social skills and I love it :)

Last edited:
English is my second language. I normally speak using my native language, but there's almost always a chance that I would say something in English, sometimes for the lack of term when you have to translate it in Filipino or it would be easier to understand if I just use the more commonly used English word.

I'm more comfortable writing in English though.

English is my first language and it is also what I speak most of the time. Spanish, however, would be my second language, and although I'm still learning it (I have about a year and a half), I think it sounds amazing and would love to be able to speak it fluidly/ fluently in day to day life :) I tend to say small phrases throughout the day in Spanish though :D

Last edited:
Me hable espa?ol no bueno. One of the only complet thoughts I can Say in Spanish.

I'm trying ( but not trying hard enough! ) To understand japanease charator Buut...

I also can say apple in 3 different languages

English is my second language and even though I would rather speak Arabic I would rather not since I get a lot of racist comments when I talk in Arabic in front of my friends who don't lol

Yes, and it annoys the hell out of everyone because A) my family is xenophobic and B) there aren't that many people who speak Japanese around here.

I guess English is my first? I grew up learning how to speak English during my speech therapy days plus went to an English-speaking school too. Second would be melayu but not very fluent on it. Personally I'm more comfortable speaking in English!

I speak multiple to varying degrees. I'd say I'm okay with Spanish, German and Japanese, but my native language is English.

I of course I like using them to connect with people from other cultures or parts of the world I'd never be able to usually. However, I only use them on the internet or reading things, and have a hard time understanding sometimes.

I've never actually verbally said anything in these languages beyond practicing because well... I never get the chance to actually speak. I'm usually too shy and afraid of what my parents will think if I speak to strangers in other languages when I'm with them.

I like the languages though. They have expressions that don't exist in English, and I get to express sides of myself I generally couldn't I guess.

Related to Animal Crossing though, all that speaking foreign languages does for me is that when I go to international Club Tortimer, I get harassed by girls trying to flirt with me and get begged for bells in other languages. XD

Back