• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Town Name Help

primandimproper

Transgender Trainwreck
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0008-9983-6893
May Birthstone (Emerald)
Tasty Cake
Isabelle
My copy of ACNL is supposed to arrive in the mail tomorrow, so I've been trying to come up with town name ideas. The town I'm planning is going to be a fairytale forest town, but not Disney princess, overly cutesy. Think more like Brothers Grimm in the Black Forest fairytale setting. So I wanted a name that sounded fantasy-ish but realistic like a town that could actually exist irl. Initially, I wanted to name the town Hiemili because it is the Icelandic word for home, but it bugs me when I say it out loud that sounds close to, "Hi, Emily." I did some Googling and the other two ideas I came up with are Fristad, which is the Swedish word for sanctuary, and Ancora which is one of several words meaning hope in Latin. Which one do you guys like best?
If it helps, the mayor's name will be Minna. Thanks in advance!

The word that stuck out to me the most was definitely ?Fristad.? I love the meaning and considering it?s supposed be a Brothers Grimm-inspired fairytale, I think that goes really well :>. ?Mayor Minna from Fristad.? It has a nice ring, I think (Also kinda sounds like a tongue-twister, which isn?t a bad thing. I like it.)(^ν^)

Last edited:
Hi, Emily, lol x)
Minna from Ancora sounds good to me! It also means "anchor" in Portuguese, so it could also be the name for a marine town >v<

"ancora" in latin means anchor and it can mean hope but it's not used like that very often. it's a cool word but it's very naval. no one is going to know otherwise probably because it's latin though

"spero" means "i hope" and you could look at a conjugation chart to see if there are any that you like like "speramus" , we hope, or "sperabit" she will hope or something

the latin noun form of hope is the noun form of spero, or "spes" (like space but a little more eh than ay) which you could look at a declension chart and see if you like any of those forms, like "sperum" meaning "of hopes" and stuff

for latin fairy-tale stuff there's things like "mirabile" (mee-RAH-bee-lay) which means wondrous or wonder but that's a lot of alliteration or maybe "fabula" which means story

i like fristad a lot too

sorry if this is annoying or unnecessary i just like latin a lot and wanted to chime in

"ancora" in latin means anchor and it can mean hope but it's not used like that very often. it's a cool word but it's very naval. no one is going to know otherwise probably because it's latin though

"spero" means "i hope" and you could look at a conjugation chart to see if there are any that you like like "speramus" , we hope, or "sperabit" she will hope or something

the latin noun form of hope is the noun form of spero, or "spes" (like space but a little more eh than ay) which you could look at a declension chart and see if you like any of those forms, like "sperum" meaning "of hopes" and stuff

for latin fairy-tale stuff there's things like "mirabile" (mee-RAH-bee-lay) which means wondrous or wonder but that's a lot of alliteration or maybe "fabula" which means story

i like fristad a lot too

sorry if this is annoying or unnecessary i just like latin a lot and wanted to chime in

Wasn't annoying at all. I really appreciated what you had to say. Thank you for sharing :D

I never really considered the whole marine town thing. That's not really the kinda vibe I'm going for. Although this does explain a rather lot.

I guess I will be going with Fristad.
Thank you, everyone! :)

Back