• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Idea: Buying medals with bells

Medals are a currency designed to be earned via participation. A different kind of 'work' than bells entirely. If you could simply buy medals with IGB, what would be the purpose of having it as a second currency anyway? It'd just be an unnecessary step of converting bells.

It can be a pain to collect them if you aren't in the mood but I think they should stay what the name implies: medals, which are earned. :)

True, medals are meant to be earned, but so are in game bells. Bells are meant to earned not given to people or bought but that doesn't stop people from buying them, selling them or giving them away on here. You don't buy money, you earn it, but people on here buy it, so my point again, how is buying medals any differen than buying bells? And participation in what? Island tours? Like I said before, buying medals are optional not mandatory. And if you really think about it, medals are pretty pointless since you can just buy any island items you want on here without even bothering with tours or medals.

I don't know why I'm defending this idea so much

LOL and yes earning medals is a pain that's why I want to buy them less work for me lol

Last edited:
I don't like the idea. The point of the medals is to work for them and truly earn them. If everything could be bought off with bells, things would lose their worth and value. I don't see anything wrong with having to occasionally grind for something, especially when the majority of items in game are so easy to get as it is.

I hear you but once again, the earn instead of buy argument doesn't really make much sense because for the 4th time, people BUY stuff from other people on here instead of earning it themselves (not talking about items that aren't available in one's country) I'm talking about things like wet suits, non RV furniture, and even bells themselves that people that earn themselves. Why is buying medals such a bad idea but buying things like mermaid sets, wet suits, cabana items and things you use medals to buy not a bad idea?

Anyone have a better arguement besides the 'earn not buy' argument they can present? I mean, people buy stuff from other on here, even stuff that's easily obtainable. So that 'buy not earn' argument doesn't really hold much ground.

Last edited:
i completely agree, omg.
it takes so long to earn enough medals to buy anything, and you have to repeat the same few minigames over and over again. at least with bells and coupons, you're doing different activities to earn them, and you get a lot more bells for your time.
i'd still wanna keep the island tours ofc but it'd be cool to be able to just buy stuff when i don't feel like doing 20 consecutive tours. maybe it could just apply to cheaper things (like shirts or saplings) or only a few items per day, like people suggested.

Last edited:
I don't hate the tours, they are just too time consuming and can be annoying at times but I don't hate them. And I made a vow to not buy anything from anyone on here. Besides, the same island stuff I buy from people on here, I get get myself even though it can be a bit time consuming to do so. Maybe I should do a few tours with other people. I always do them by myself.

- - - Post Merge - - -

This Tuna Kahuna tour needs to appear on my island already. Instead it gave me all the diving tours. This game doesn't like me for some reason.

The Giant Dragonfly tour also awards 20 medals for gold.

Both are quite common, just TT! ^_^

I'm glad I made a thread that open up a discussion. That's rare lol

It's even more insane that this thread opened up a discussion on a feature that's never going to happen anyways, but it is interesting to read people's point of view on this topic, even if most of the arguments are 'earn not buy.'

- - - Post Merge - - -

Well according to a guide for upcoming tours, the bug hide n seek is tomorrow, so I will grind through that since I like that tour.

*whispers* I still wish I can lazily buy medals though. These tours are the pits.

The trouble with buying things that should be earned, is that it becomes a habit.
Makes one lazy. :(

Don't fall in to that trap!
It feels so much better to have earned something, than to buy it, and take credit for something you didn't take part in.

Again, not knocking anyone.
I'm doing it right now, trying to buy items that I can't get in my town.

You also get more medals if you go to Club Tortimer (I think?) So you can always find a few good folks here you trust and do some tours.

The trouble with buying things that should be earned, is that it becomes a habit.
Makes one lazy. :(

Don't fall in to that trap!
It feels so much better to have earned something, than to buy it, and take credit for something you didn't take part in.

Again, not knocking anyone.
I'm doing it right now, trying to buy items that I can't get in my town.

That's why I made the vow I made, to not buy anything from anyone. To earn everything myself (with the exception of villagers but this is likely going to change too since i finally have my campsite)

You also get more medals if you go to Club Tortimer (I think?) So you can always find a few good folks here you trust and do some tours.

I have Club Tortimer but I don't ever go since I"m worried that the jankety wifi will cut off like it always does while I'm in the middle of a tour with someone.

Last edited:
I hear you but once again, the earn instead of buy argument doesn't really make much sense because for the 4th time, people BUY stuff from other people on here instead of earning it themselves (not talking about items that aren't available in one's country) I'm talking about things like wet suits, non RV furniture, and even bells themselves that people that earn themselves. Why is buying medals such a bad idea but buying things like mermaid sets, wet suits, cabana items and things you use medals to buy not a bad idea?

Anyone have a better arguement besides the 'earn not buy' argument they can present? I mean, people buy stuff from other on here, even stuff that's easily obtainable. So that 'buy not earn' argument doesn't really hold much ground.

But then going by your logic, you can buy the island items off of people as well. Bells are much slower and more tedious and unfun to earn than the island medals are. Earning 40 medals takes a lot less time and effort than earning millions of bells. If medals were meant to be bought with bells, then the whole currency of medals wouldn't exist in the first place. It's a different currency for a reason.

And if you don't like people presenting their arguments then a debate shouldn't be opened for it in the first place. Naturally many people are going to take an 'earn not buy' stance when it comes to these things. Medals were meant to be earned by doing island tours. Bells and items were made and meant to be traded with other users, hence the ability to trade with people in such a way.

Last edited:
But then going by your logic, you can buy the island items off of people as well. Bells are much slower and more tedious and unfun to earn than the island medals are. Earning 40 medals takes a lot less time and effort than earning millions of bells. If medals were meant to be bought with bells, then the whole currency of medals wouldn't exist in the first place. It's a different currency for a reason.

And if you don't like people presenting their arguments then a debate shouldn't be opened for it in the first place. Naturally many people are going to take an 'earn not buy' stance when it comes to these things. Medals were meant to be earned by doing island tours. Bells and items were made and meant to be traded with other users, hence the ability to trade with people in such a way.

Yes, exactly so what's the point of medals. And earning bells can tedious but people have the option to BUY them on here. Earning medals can be just as unfun and tedious especially if you are given tours that you don't like and you have no control over which tours they are. And to be honest, most of the tours medal payoff aren't worth the time spent on them, unless you are doing the elite tours most of which are only able to be completed with other people and not everyone wants to play on Club Tortimer, which also costs medals.

And I have no problems with people presenting their arguments, I knew people were going to have a different stance and that's fine with me, I'm just wondering if anyone has a different argument as why this is a bad idea besides the 'earn not buy' when on this very forum people are buying and selling rares as rare as they come and I come and make a thread about buying medals and it's like I presented the worst idea in the world. Apparently though the 'earn not buy' argument is the only one that seems to matter and I'm okay with that. I mean, I have to be since I have no say in what they choose to do in future games.

Buying rares, money and items you didn't earn is okay but buying medals is not okay because it's something that should be earned?

Okay, well then. Alright. I get it now.

And if I had a problem with other people's opinions, I'm smart enough to not make a thread asking other people's opinion. I really hope people realize that. -_-

Last edited:
YES!!
It would be MUCH less time consuming to just buy the mermaid set!!

YES!!
It would be MUCH less time consuming to just buy the mermaid set!!

You can just buy the complete mermaid set on here without even setting foot on the island. Someone is probably selling it right now as I type this! That's why this whole thing doesn't make sense!

Last edited:
You can just buy the complete mermaid set on here without even setting foot on the lsland. Someone is probably selling it right now as I type this! That's why this whole thing doesn't make sense!

Truth! I will admit, it is satisfying to buy the last piece or an item you've been searching for on the island tho =w=

...I kind of see the point of buying medals with bells, if you just aren't into tours in general. However, If I was forced to implement this, I'd still make the medals justifiable as currency, and make it so you'd still rather earn them through tours than with bells in the first place.

I.e.: Make the exchange rate very expensive, like 100k bells per medal.

Of course, I'd prevent the exchange of medals back to bells - otherwise it would turn touring into a workplace, rather than sporting awards point system.

But really, though: I always thought Medals were designed as a way to motivate players to do tours on the island. They are sporting points - and the island rewards are earned though the sporting. I personally wouldn't do medal-bell exchanges because that defeats the sporting purposes of the their design.

Last edited:
Truth! I will admit, it is satisfying to buy the last piece or an item you've been searching for on the island tho =w=

Truth, especially if you are impatient like me.

If you island hop, you'll soon have everything. ^_^

Island hop like using Club Tortimer. Hmm, never really thought of doing that.

...I kind of see the point of buying medals with bells, if you just aren't into tours in general. However, If I was forced to implement this, I'd still make the medals justifiable as currency, and make it so you'd still rather earn them through tours than with bells in the first place.

Of course, I'd prevent the exchange of medals back to bells - otherwise it would turn touring into a workplace, rather than sporting awards point system.

But really, though: I always thought Medals were designed as a way to motivate players to do tours on the island. They are sporting points - and the island rewards are earned though the sporting. I personally wouldn't do medal-bell exchanges because that defeats the sporting purposes of the their design.

I think that is purpose of the medals: to encourage people to play island tours but if you are as impatient as I am, you would want to get the medals already and be done with it. I'm guessing the people who are saying earn not buy are probably not impatient and have the tolerance, patience to grind through tours for medal. I'm not that person. I'm sure after all the stuff I've posted, people kind already know that lol.

I'd have no problem with that.
Give the player the choice to buy the item with bells, or with medals that are won.

It's like playing Desert Island Escape.
You can pay 2 play coins (The bells option), or scan in an amiibo and play for free. (The medal option)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Island hop like using Club Tortimer. Hmm, never really thought of doing that. .

I never interact with anyone.
I just buy the rare stuff, and move on. ^_^

And I have no problems with people presenting their arguments, I knew people were going to have a different stance and that's fine with me, I'm just wondering if anyone has a different argument as why this is a bad idea besides the 'earn not buy' when on this very forum people are buying and selling rares as rare as they come and I come and make a thread about buying medals and it's like I presented the worst idea in the world. Apparently though the 'earn not buy' argument is the only one that seems to matter and I'm okay with that. I mean, I have to be since I have no say in what they choose to do in future games.

Buying rares, money and items you didn't earn is okay but buying medals is not okay because it's something that should be earned?

Okay, well then. Alright. I get it now.

And if I had a problem with other people's opinions, I'm smart enough to not make a thread asking other people's opinion. I really hope people realize that. -_-
Yikes! Why so defensive? I think Spooky was just observing that you're replying to countering opinions with quite the callous tone, rather than a way that promotes further discussion. You're just kind of shutting anyone down who doesn't think it's as good an idea as you do. A good discussion requires you to be receptive of other people's thoughts.

Nobody said it was the worst idea on the planet, either, nor is it the 'only argument that matters'. Little bit dramatic, don't you think?

Perhaps another way to put it, about the medals as sporting points:

Say you wanted a Gold Fish Trophy. To get it, you can do so in two ways:

1. Win a fishing tourney.

2. Go and buy a pre-earned one from another person.

But however you do so, you just should NEVER be allowed to buy it directly from Chip, the tourney sponsor. That would be just like a rich person in real life buying a freshly made Olympic Gold Medal no one has earned yet, all without actually attending the sporting event!

To me, Medals in this game are like touring trophies that double as currency. In many respects, the rewards you buy with them are also trophies of your accomplishments, as they are unorderbles that can only be found on the islands, often with an island theme as well. I don't believe you should directly 'buy' medals you never earned in the same way.

Now one could argue that some kinds of items shouldn't be medal-exclusive. I find the Hibiscus starts in the shop kind of questionable: They are plants that people can end up wasting and destroying quite easily. The trophy sense in these starts doesn't feel right to me, and I'd rather see them being bought with bells or just given to us directly.

Back