• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendo Direct Mini - January 11th 2018

It would be A: annoying to have to pay another 60 dollars for the SAME game and B crushing for the switch to just have another port of a classic and well-loved franchise ( with the other, off the top of my head, being mk8 Delux

While I can see some people not wanting to double dip for a port if they already owned the Wii U version, you still have to consider that the latter is designed for a console whose sales are pretty low by Nintendo's standards. In other words, not a lot of people actually got to experience Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

This gives its developers a perfectly good excuse to port the game to Switch. The latest console already exceeded the lifetime sales of Wii U with only 9 months, and it doesn't seem to show any signs of stopping at the time I was writing this reply. Considering that the development of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U was incredibly taxing with its sheer amount of content to begin with, it's very tempting to simply bring the Wii U version and enhance it for the Switch.

I'm hoping for a Pikmin 4 announcement most of all. Nintendo announced it was in development in 2014, yet we have nothing to go off of. (They also confirmed that Hey! Pikmin was not Pikmin 4, just a spin-off)

If the next Nintendo Direct would actually happen January 11th, Nintendo would have to tweet its announcement tomorrow at 7AM PST. In many cases, the presentation dropped in two day after announcing it.

I'll bet any money that I have and my two legs that there will be no AC Switch.

Last edited:
I'll bet any money that I have and my two legs that there will be no AC Switch.

They've told investors before that they view their mobile games as a gateway into the console versions. Pocket Camp isn't exactly a breakaway success like Pokemon Go or even the Fire Emblem game, but I think the only reason it even exists is for AC Switch

They've told investors before that they view their mobile games as a gateway into the console versions. Pocket Camp isn't exactly a breakaway success like Pokemon Go or even the Fire Emblem game, but I think the only reason it even exists is for AC Switch

If they make a PC AC for Switch, I'll stick with NL until my 3ds dies.

Rubbish!

If they make a PC AC for Switch, I'll stick with NL until my 3ds dies.

Rubbish!

Rest assured! What WarpDogsVG meant is that Pocket Camp exists to complement with the next Animal Crossing installment on Switch, and not porting Pocket Camp to Switch.

Last edited:
The only thing I want out of this is an AC Switch announcement... please hurry up and announce the Direct already, Nintendo.

I know I’m probably hyping myself too much, though, and will be sorely disappointed when all they end up showing is some yarn/paper/whatever Kirby and Yoshi games and ports of five year old games... .-.

Last edited:
Hopefully AC will be there but I'm not expecting either that or Pokemon. Though Pokemon is supposed to come out by the end of the year. I'm tempering expectations somewhat since I doubt Nintendo would just put all their cards on the table at the very start of the year. The internet seems to be going absolutely insane with hype and we don't even have a confirmation the direct exists lmao.

I'd expect maybe Odyssey DLC, a ton of nindies, some Kirby Battle Royale announcement (which is lame since we already know a ton about it), a teaser for Metroid Prime 4, and MAYBE a teaser for Smash for switch/Smash 4 port for switch.

Hopefully AC will be there but I'm not expecting either that or Pokemon. Though Pokemon is supposed to come out by the end of the year. I'm tempering expectations somewhat since I doubt Nintendo would just put all their cards on the table at the very start of the year. The internet seems to be going absolutely insane with hype and we don't even have a confirmation the direct exists lmao.

I'd expect maybe Odyssey DLC, a ton of nindies, some Kirby Battle Royale announcement (which is lame since we already know a ton about it), a teaser for Metroid Prime 4, and MAYBE a teaser for Smash for switch/Smash 4 port for switch.

Pokemon is 2018 or later, so we don't have a defeinitive time it'll come out unless Gamefreak/Pokemon Company says so

So apparently Nintendo is trying to drum up hype for this unannounced Direct and I can't help but stop and realize that not a single Direct they've done in a very long time has actually been exciting. The Switch presentation a year ago was, and to some extent E3, as well. But anything they've called a "Direct" lately has been a dud. The last one was sooo boring.

People are getting really excited for this Direct. Yet I wager that a lot of time will be spent talking about in detail the Yoshi and Kirby games we already know about. There might be more Wii U ports. *big yawn* I would really set any expectations that low.

Apparently Animal Crossing games only get announced at E3, so I'm already setting that expectation low. Pokemon is clearly still early in development, so I'd be surprised if we heard anything about that, but I don't know.

So apparently Nintendo is trying to drum up hype for this unannounced Direct and I can't help but stop and realize that not a single Direct they've done in a very long time has actually been exciting. The Switch presentation a year ago was, and to some extent E3, as well. But anything they've called a "Direct" lately has been a dud. The last one was sooo boring.

People are getting really excited for this Direct. Yet I wager that a lot of time will be spent talking about in detail the Yoshi and Kirby games we already know about. There might be more Wii U ports. *big yawn* I would really set any expectations that low.

Apparently Animal Crossing games only get announced at E3, so I'm already setting that expectation low. Pokemon is clearly still early in development, so I'd be surprised if we heard anything about that, but I don't know.

The fact that all of the toll tweets are somehow related to fire/heat/hot (chibi robo on fire, hot dog and fire boomerang bros) is kinda leaning towards them hinting Smash for Switch. if its not that, then the only other thing it could be is Fire Emblem Switch, which we've known about for nearly a year but nothing has been said since its reveal.

The fact that all of the toll tweets are somehow related to fire/heat/hot (chibi robo on fire, hot dog and fire boomerang bros) is kinda leaning towards them hinting Smash for Switch. if its not that, then the only other thing it could be is Fire Emblem Switch, which we've known about for nearly a year but nothing has been said since its reveal.

I thought Chibi Robo on fire indicated ?hot garbage? :?D Seriously though, both Fire Emblem and Smash (even if it?s just a port) would be amazing announcements.

Rest assured! What WarpDogsVG meant is that Pocket Camp exists to complement with the next Animal Crossing installment on Switch, and not porting Pocket Camp to Switch.

Hehe, I hope so!
I want a game similar to NL, with just a lot more options, less internet interaction, and improved quality.

Nintendo Direct just dropped without prior announcement: https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/951453981397565441

Le spoilers/opinions ahead: The World Ends With You Switch port is really neat - I’ll definitely get it even though I already played it on the DS. Dito Hyrule Warriors I know I’m a sucker for buying it a third time. Fe and Ys VIII look cool. And the internet just collectively exploded due to the Dark Souls port.

... And no Animal Crossing Switch announcement means that I can go back into my corner and cry now.

Last edited:
That was just about as underwhelming as I expected. But even *I* thought Nintendo might have some pretty exciting stuff up their sleeves to keep the Switch hype train coming, but I'm not seeing it. There's still nothing at all exciting for me announced except for a Pokemon game we only know by word.

Back