when do you take down your Christmas tree and Christmas decorations?

King Dorado

you can do anything
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Rebel Gnome
Fossil Easter Egg
Ladybug Easter Egg
Paradise Planning Easter Egg
Splat Easter Egg
Fossil Easter Egg
Classic Easter Egg
Togepi Easter Egg
Waluigi Easter Egg
Yoshi Easter Egg
growing up, my family took everything down on New Year's Day,

but now that I celebrate Epiphany on January 6th I usually leave all the Christmas decorations up throughout the twelve days of Christmastide until the 5th or 6th.

how long do you leave your Christmas decorations up?
:confused:

whenever anyone can be bothered
it usually goes down around the start of January but it depends

I don't decorate for christmas. It's such a hassle and having a pretty/ festive house for a month or two just isn't worth all the work. And if you don't store your decorations/ tree properly, they get super dusty which sets my allergies off.

While we usually take down our Christmas tree around the first or second week of January, last year was an exception to the rule. I heard that it was originally supposed to be put away until winter ends, as a way to brighten during the awfully long nights. So, we once kept it until Easter has come and gone.

Last edited:
While we usually take down our Christmas tree around the first or second week of January, last year was an exception to the rule. I heard that it was originally supposed to be put away until winter ends, as a way to brighten during the awfully long nights. So, we once kept it until Easter has come and gone.

This is true, though. Many traditions like bringing in and decorating evergreen trees are rooted in Winter Solstice traditions from ancient times. They are related to winter itself, and celebrating evergreens during a time where there is so little fertility or life in plants.

I do wish we would realize this as a society. So many people hate winter (not me, but that's aside from the point!) while Christmas and its decorations help to lighten it up for many people, but then we sweep it all up once New Year's hits. There's still much winter to go through after New Year's, so why?

Here at my house, we usually keep the Christmas decorations a few days after the new year.

My mum and I took ours down last night/tonight (3AM here). Usually we take it down in the first week of January.

About two weeks into January? We've kept it later before though. It's so pretty and so much work to take down.

Middle of january-ish :rolleyes:

usually around mid-january-ish, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. we don’t have anything consistent going

Back