• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What do you all do with used cartridges?

ravenblue

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Out of curiosity, if you buy a cartridge used and it already has save data on it, do you reset and start new, or do you take over where the last owner left off?

i usually look around their town to see if i can steal anything first lol
i check in houses and storage for unorderables and see if they have hybrids/clovers/other things i'd like my new town, and then i gather everything i want, have someone hold onto the items for me, and reset

i don't ever continue with their town because then it doesn't ever feel like reeeaally my town :')

I have rescued abandoned used towns.

99% of the time the town has only been played for less than a week. Hardly any furniture. Not even 10 villagers.

I had Ch?vre move in from an abandoned town and she lived in my town for a long time.

I bought a new Wild World cartridge with 2 existing characters. It has Nookingtons! It has a nice map. The players obviously played and loved their villagers. I have kept that town. :)

Oh and whenever possible I weed the town. Gotta get that weeding badge! :)

i usually look around their town to see if i can steal anything first lol
i check in houses and storage for unorderables and see if they have hybrids/clovers/other things i'd like my new town, and then i gather everything i want, have someone hold onto the items for me, and reset

i don't ever continue with their town because then it doesn't ever feel like reeeaally my town :')

This is exactly what I've done, too, and for the same reason...until yesterday I found a used cart that I think I might just continue to work on.

I have rescued abandoned used towns.

99% of the time the town has only been played for less than a week. Hardly any furniture. Not even 10 villagers.

I had Ch?vre move in from an abandoned town and she lived in my town for a long time.

I bought a new Wild World cartridge with 2 existing characters. It has Nookingtons! It has a nice map. The players obviously played and loved their villagers. I have kept that town. :)

Oh and whenever possible I weed the town. Gotta get that weeding badge! :)

Ooh, I hadn't thought of keeping the used towns for badges o.o I do that with my latest acquisition, but I really like the town and I want to continue the work that had been started.

That is cool about the Wild World town! I got out my old cart and played a couple of weeks ago - so many good memories. I've started a Gamecube town two days ago with an old memory card I found laying around. My original town and memory card are long gone, but I'm having a blast with a new Gamecube town now.

I've never had a used copy of ACNL but if I did I would do the same thing I do with every secondhand game I buy: look at the previous savefile to see where the other person stopped playing/check out what stuff they have, then delete it. lol

I pillage, cycle, pwp grind, and then reset.
Pillaging tips:
Check out the catalouge for reorderable dlc.
Check the bank.
Check museum second story (if present), I keep stuff there, why not anyone else?
Check all the characters.
The last used town I bought, had a white festive tree! Score!

In this hypothetical situation, I would check all of the potential storage spots to see if there was anything rare or if they had any neat patterns. From there, I'd move any of the items or patterns I liked with my own mayor. If they had any of my dream villagers in the town, I'd probably keep the save file until I could have the villager(s) move into one of my towns and then delete it so I could start over fresh.

This is all assuming the person in question, in this instance I used myself, had more than one cartridge. If that were not the case, I'd probably ask someone on the forums to hold onto the furniture or clothes I wanted, and make QR codes of the patterns if I wanted any, while I restarted.

You all have some great ideas! I hadn't thought of some of these and I'll definitely be using them for any other used carts I find. :)

my second town I brought had someones town that I haven't deleted yet. But I use it to first see what items they have, villagers and qr codes. And this town had a lot of people visit in the streetpass so thats my mind reason why I havent deleted it yet. I will delete it at some point next year though.

Back