• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendo Switch Online

Lmao it's only $20 for an entire year. If you can afford a freaking $300 console and $60 games I'm sure you can afford >$2 a month if it's THAT important to you. Everyone saying "Oh I hope it flops" or "I hope they cancel it" have a pretty bad attitude about it. Nintendo is the only company who hasn't charge for online play for their console, it was bound to happen eventually.

Yeah lmao, I pay that alone for our internet a month, so why should I buy some overhyped console that requires you to pay as much a year? Also why would that be bound to happen? I mean if they could have stood up and not starting dumb online paying they would probably have more respect and people not telling them to flop.

Also it's not the amount or whatever, I'm against that dumb principle (unless it would be for some old console that would make it playable again like wii/ds).

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s really not a hard concept to understand lol

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. It’s really not a hard concept to understand lol

It should be an even easier concept to understand that people can have and state opinions. Especially about franchises and companies that they have cared about for many years, even if they're not purchasing the newest product that they're stating their opinion about. It's not like someone magically does not have opinions and reasons to state these opinions if they don't buy the newest system. It doesn't work that way for even one second.

"If you don't like it, don't buy it" is just flat out rude, no need to be so dismissive of other peoples' opinions.

So pretty much like Xbox Live and Playstation Plus? Well luckily the games we want for the switch don’t involve online (we aren’t interested in splatoon at all..) so I guess it’s ok with us. I mean, when we bought the PS4 we knew we had to pay for online services, so that’s why we focused on games that don’t require online or have the option if we’d like to play online or not. My husband is a hardcore “investigate/research the product before we buy” type of guy, so when he saw that the switch was going to do pay for online he’s like “ok! Let’s see if the games we want can be played offline”. He’s strategic that way. I’m not, I’m more of a “buy now!” type of gal and “research later!” Either way the games we want for the switch are BOTW and that Mario odyssey (since it reminds me of Mario Sunshine). But I’ve heard the rumors about the “open world” Pok?mon game e.e So I might get pay online IF that’s the case. I love open world rpgs! They are just so much fun. But either way, I am surprised Nintendo waited this long to do a pay online service. I kinda thought they would do this for WiiU, since Xbox and PlayStation were doing it. But I guess it was more to appeal for children? Not so sure.. don’t quote me on that. My husband finds that reasonable. I mean, he does still want the switch even upon finding out it’s doing the pay online thing.

its just 20$ per year , if you can pay 300$ (or even more) for the console and $60 for games then you can pay just 20$ for online play , lol

The price is irrelevant, it's the principle. It's not a lot of money, but it's still money.

I already pay for the internet, I shouldn't have to cough up even more to some greedy company to use that internet I'm already paying for on a device that I've already paid for in a game I've already paid for...Especially with a service such as Nintendo offers which, lets be honest, was only tolerated because it was free.

It would be like having to pay Samsung an extra ?20 a year to make outgoing calls on their device, despite already paying O2 for the phone bill. It's a stupid concept and the only reason it's a thing that's caught on with gaming (along with many other garbage monetisation strategies we've seen this decade) is because people are incapable of doing something as simple as closing their wallets.

The price is irrelevant, it's the principle. It's not a lot of money, but it's still money.

I already pay for the internet, I shouldn't have to cough up even more to some greedy company to use that internet I'm already paying for on a device that I've already paid for in a game I've already paid for...Especially with a service such as Nintendo offers which, lets be honest, was only tolerated because it was free.

It would be like having to pay Samsung an extra ?20 a year to make outgoing calls on their device, despite already paying O2 for the phone bill. It's a stupid concept and the only reason it's a thing that's caught on with gaming (along with many other garbage monetisation strategies we've seen this decade) is because people are incapable of doing something as simple as closing their wallets.

I think more than anything, we're paying for better servers and for the servers to last longer. I have no problem with ?20 a year at all, since I honestly knew this from the start.

Nintendo has failed and learned from business ventures that didn't end in their favor. If this online service is a flop, I think it will be for the better even though it may take time. I do think there will be better services by September, though.

Nintendo has failed and learned from business ventures that didn't end in their favor. If this online service is a flop, I think it will be for the better even though it may take time. I do think there will be better services by September, though.

Tbh i hope it flops, i mean if they are going so bad in business they should do something else.

I will not support this unless Animal Crossing gets a true game on the Switch. For now I'll be buying mostly offline games. I suggest you do the same. Hopefully this flops and the next system after the Switch has free online again.

if you can afford a $300 console , $60 games (+other electronics / services you have ) then you can pay 2$ for a month. simple like that.

I imagine they're going to be releasing some online game to entice people to pay for it in September, because even at a low price they really haven't demonstrated enough value

Animal Crossing Switch could certainly be it, but it definitely feels more like a Smash Bros to me...we'll see come E3 for sure.

It's a shame, really, but I'll pay for it. If they offer free games like PSN and Xbox Live, then I won't chuck a fit. I can't live without Splatoon 2's online lol.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I imagine they're going to be releasing some online game to entice people to pay for it in September, because even at a low price they really haven't demonstrated enough value

Animal Crossing Switch could certainly be it, but it definitely feels more like a Smash Bros to me...we'll see come E3 for sure.

Here's hoping that this is the case.

if you can afford a $300 console , $60 games (+other electronics / services you have ) then you can pay 2$ for a month. simple like that.

Well since you already paid like too much you shouldn't pay even more.

Haven't got a Switch, well not yet, depends if a main animal crossing game comes out for it. To play AC fully (incl getting DLC) it needs to go online so I would probably stump up around ?20 a year - if its more ... I wouldn't be happy/would reconsider.
The way it might 'force' me & others to get it is it will include an ability to save game progress - that is an issue for me, something goes wrong with the Switch & you lose all games' progress.

Back