• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendo Switch Online

dedenne

the entire circus
Orange 🍊
Banana 🍌
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose
SO
I just got a switch today, looked at the notifications etc. And found out SOON YOU'LL HAVE TO PAY FOR MULTIPLAYER?
DOES THIS MEAN I HAVE TO PAY FOR ONLINE SPLATOON 2?

Someone explain

Last edited:
Yes, unlike the 3DS or Wii U, you will need to pay for online multiplayer as you would on PlayStation or Xbox. It's an unfortunate development, but that's the case.

But how much you'll pay for a yearly Nintendo Switch Online Service is about 1/3 of the price of a PlayStation Plus/Xbox Live Gold subscription. For a seemingly scummy business practice, this is practically a chump change.

I mean they did always say this right from switch launch lmao........ plus i remember them saying its smth like 2000 yen a year which is like, less than ?20 or smth. its really Not That Bad, especially since paying means they can give you a better service and keep the servers running longer.

But how much you'll pay for a yearly Nintendo Switch Online Service is about 1/3 of the price of a PlayStation Plus/Xbox Live Gold subscription. For a seemingly scummy business practice, this is practically a chump change.
Oh yeah, good point.
I mean they did always say this right from switch launch lmao........ plus i remember them saying its smth like 2000 yen a year which is like, less than ?20 or smth. its really Not That Bad, especially since paying means they can give you a better service and keep the servers running longer.
Yeah...i wasnt really paying attention to switch stuff lmao. Thought id be stuck with a wii u for another eternity.

With a service which is as mediocre as Nintendo's, it's a large leap for them to even consider charging 1/3rd of the competition. Their service isn't even worth that. I mean, I got my Switch yesterday and discovered that Nintendo regressed back to Friend Codes. What in the world are they thinking, and why do they expect me to pay money for such nonsense?

Last edited:
[...] I mean, I got my Switch yesterday and discovered that Nintendo regressed back to Friend Codes.

I'll admit attempting to remember a 12-digit number isn't exactly an easy task, but the implementation of Friend Codes on Switch definitely isn't as cumbersome as that what Wii, DS and 3DS did.

For starters, registering a Friend Code will automatically send a Friend Request to that user. All he/she have to do is to either accept or refuse your request, all without having them to type the code in first place. Essentially, only one of two peoples have to input the other's Friend Code.

Though, Friend Code isn't the only method of registering friends. There's the ad-hoc method, the rival method (players you've recently seen in online matches), as well of the suggested friends method (based on your friends registered to your NNID and most Nintendo-developed mobile apps).

Well either way, I hope they cancel it because it's a waste of money if you only have 1 online game you'll only play when it's not school is kinda useless

Well either way, I hope they cancel it because it's a waste of money if you only have 1 online game you'll only play when it's not school is kinda useless

Not to be rude or anything, but wouldn't it have been worth you researching this before getting a switch and an online-only game? It's not like they only just announced it, they've said it would be paid since launch of the console :v

Not to be rude or anything, but wouldn't it have been worth you researching this before getting a switch and an online-only game? It's not like they only just announced it, they've said it would be paid since launch of the console :v

Pretty much my thoughts too D: I did alot of research on the Switch before getting one..

I'll admit attempting to remember a 12-digit number isn't exactly an easy task, but the implementation of Friend Codes on Switch definitely isn't as cumbersome as that what Wii, DS and 3DS did.

For starters, registering a Friend Code will automatically send a Friend Request to that user. All he/she have to do is to either accept or refuse your request, all without having them to type the code in first place. Essentially, only one of two peoples have to input the other's Friend Code.

Though, Friend Code isn't the only method of registering friends. There's the ad-hoc method, the rival method (players you've recently seen in online matches), as well of the suggested friends method (based on your friends registered to your NNID and most Nintendo-developed mobile apps).

I have definitely seen that the online system is much more open to registering friends in different ways, but if that's the case, why in the world is the FC system even there to begin with? There was no reason to go back to such an annoying system after the Wii U had usernames.

They'll cancel it. It's a bad marketing decision, IMO.

Hopefully. If anything that held me not wanting a Switch it's this stupid pay online thing. or for any console company. I mean we buy the console and pay for internet already... come on???

Is Ajit Pai already owning online game services or..

Hopefully. If anything that held me not wanting a Switch it's this stupid pay online thing. or for any console company. I mean we buy the console and pay for internet already... come on???

Is Ajit Pai already owning online game services or..

As someone who used to work for a place that maintained IT infrastructure (ie servers), I can say it's not cheap to run the stuff. Nintendo not only has to pay for the hardware (which isn't a one-time purchase), but they also have to pay the people who have the smarts to keep it running. A single server administrator employee typically gets paid $70,000-100,000/year, potentially higher depending on exact skills. Server hardware isn't cheap either.

Funny thing is I didn't know I was getting it :')

As someone who used to work for a place that maintained IT infrastructure (ie servers), I can say it's not cheap to run the stuff. Nintendo not only has to pay for the hardware (which isn't a one-time purchase), but they also have to pay the people who have the smarts to keep it running. A single server administrator employee typically gets paid $70,000-100,000/year, potentially higher depending on exact skills. Server hardware isn't cheap either.

Yeah, but seems pretty sudden of them to apply it to current generation all of a sudden... Also if they really have to keep pulling this and they wanna be family friendly.. I'd be pretty surprised if it will last. Sure they must have other means of dolares to keep running...

I've worked on both sides of this (customer service and IT development/maintenance) before and during college, and while you're right with everything you said, you have to consider this: most customers are very, very stupid. I'm willing to bet a lot of parents won't understand/care why their kid suddenly can't play online anymore and put the fault for the Switch "not working properly" squarely on Nintendo. It's a PR-disaster waiting to happen. And that could cost them way more than maintenance.

Last edited:
Thing is with the paid online service on other consoles you get a bunch of free games every month. Last J heard, Nintendo will be “loaning” NES and SNES games each month.
Online the way it is now seems fine to me, I’d hate to pay for an improvement that’s barely noticeable and only being able to play virtual console games before Nintendo snatched it back and asks you to pay for it.
I really hope they change their mind about paid online, especially with how terribly they implemented voice chat with that app.

Back