• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Nintendo Switch Online

Thing is with the paid online service on other consoles you get a bunch of free games every month. Last J heard, Nintendo will be “loaning” NES and SNES games each month.
Online the way it is now seems fine to me, I’d hate to pay for an improvement that’s barely noticeable and only being able to play virtual console games before Nintendo snatched it back and asks you to pay for it.
I really hope they change their mind about paid online, especially with how terribly they implemented voice chat with that app.

"Loaning" us NES and SNES games is such a mediocre benefit. Nintendo sure loves to cram those games in our face. Nearly every NES/SNES game I want to play I've had many opportunities to do so.

I'm a little saddened that Nintendo has decided to do this. For me, even though I've known a long while that this was planned, it seems so sudden. Is it really so much more expensive to run the servers for the Switch compared to their other systems? I must say Nintendo does not have the best connection regardless, so I would be immensely disappointed if I have to pay for these online services and then there is no improvement or very little of it. If Nintendo wants me to pay for their online services then they better be amazing considering I used to get it for free. :/

I also agree with the user that said this is a PR disaster waiting to happen. If anything, they should have charged for online services as soon as the Switch was released to avoid the inevitable confusion when online services go down and parents see they suddenly have to pay for it now...

weird. i'd never heard of that, not even of other companies making you pay for online multiplayer.

weird. i'd never heard of that, not even of other companies making you pay for online multiplayer.

PlayStation and Xbox have made you pay for their online services for a very long time (I can't even remember not paying for such services honestly) whereas Nintendo never did. Unfortunately, this practice is common among consoles. :c I had just hoped Nintendo would refuse such a thing when consumers already paid so much for their console, games, DLC, amiibo, etc....

Last edited:
Funny thing is I didn't know I was getting it :')

Then honestly the people who bought it for you should have researched ahead and not bought you a game that only really plays online if they aren't willing to pay for the resulting fees for online play.

Thing is with the paid online service on other consoles you get a bunch of free games every month. Last J heard, Nintendo will be “loaning” NES and SNES games each month.

The information you've got is outdated. As opposed to "loaning" one game each month, you actually get the entire library of NES and SNES titles that are released by the time you're subscribed. And it'll continue expanding as time goes on. Some of the games will even make use of online play.

Source: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/870445058385821696

Last edited:
i dont really want to pay extra just to play with my friends online so im kinda like :) it's really ugly and stupid and i hope it flops so they make it free

Apparently it's coming in autumn next year...I hope so

Apparently it's coming in autumn next year...I hope so

I thought it was originally supposed to come in Fall 2017, but then they delayed it to early 2018?

wow I didn't know about this! That's a huge strike against the switch for me.

They'll cancel it. It's a bad marketing decision, IMO.

yeah. tbh, I was gonna buy a switch at launch with zelda and probably would have gotten splatoon2, mario, etc too, but decided against it, because of the paid online.. now even if I got the switch, I have zero interest in those games anymore, so can't justify buying the console..
(they don't even have something like wii fit yet) but anyway

seems like they are still selling well, but people buy anything for the sake of hype..
will probably be another 2 years before the console itself gets cheaper.. I can wait for now ^^;;

Last edited:
Yeah, they said at launch that you'd have to pay for it, but that it'd be free for a while. It's not like they lied or anything.

I can't deny that Animal Crossing, Splatoon and the likes are greatly benefiting from Internet connectivity, but some of the posts here either overvalue the importance of online gameplay almost to the point of being a lifeblood, and/or accentuate the negative implications of it harder than they should. Care to give me a thorough explanation on why you react that way? I couldn't take those ill-informed opinions seriously.

Many, many Switch titles released so far don't integrate the online gameplay as an integral part of the experience, and it'll be likely staying that way during the entire console lifespan. As far as I know, most Nintendo-published AA-AAA games don't rely on online connectivity to provide fun gameplay. There's also a plethora of great third-party offerings that won't make any significant use of online. If 2017 meant anything, then I'm fairly confident the next year will be just as jam-packed if Nintendo keeps the boat afloat.

May I remind you that you aren't obligated to pay for the online service for every single year until the servers are permanently shut down. If you don't like the idea on breaking the bank for the "complete" experience, you'll definitely want to take your gaming and life habits into consideration and purchase things accordingly. In this topic's case, how long and often do you actually plan to use online multiplayer functionality?
For me, I'm not the one who would go online on a regular basis and don't have an enormous amount of time to waste. Most of the games I play are single-player affair, and multiplayer online games aren't my jam. I know I'm going to play Animal Crossing for at least one year starting at its launch day, so I'm likely investing for one yearly subscription or two. And that's pretty much it. No biggie here.

Yeah, they said at launch that you'd have to pay for it, but that it'd be free for a while. It's not like they lied or anything.

They most likely missed this bit of information when they told them about that. I do however believe after the pay wall is set up, they'll eventually inform their customer through the box of the hardware unit, and on any physical copy of game supporting online play.

Lmao it's only $20 for an entire year. If you can afford a freaking $300 console and $60 games I'm sure you can afford >$2 a month if it's THAT important to you. Everyone saying "Oh I hope it flops" or "I hope they cancel it" have a pretty bad attitude about it. Nintendo is the only company who hasn't charge for online play for their console, it was bound to happen eventually.

^ idk the thing is that, well, we've already paid 360+ dollars for the console and games itself its kind of a bummer when they want us to keep paying them. i don't know much about the finances though so it could be a reasonable thing to do, idk, idc lol. if that's how it's gonna be then i'll just have to deal with it. i'll probably only really use online features for when i get mario kart, and it'd be worth it for just that lol since once i get all my stars i usually just do online play. and depending on what online features a potential AC game might have i'll probably want it for that too. eh, whatever lol.

My big problem with online - Nintendo being too incompetent to actually have the justification to charge for it aside - is that I am, in fact, a very casual gamer when it comes to online games. When I get a new Pokemon or Mario Kart game I will play them for around a month with the online aspects being what mainly keeps me going in the end. I do not get super into these games anymore. Thus, needing to pay for online services just drives me away. It happened with PS4, which's online games I play even less. I saw that the PS4 now required you to pay to play online, so I just stopped playing what I was playing altogether.

I also don't have any disposable income at this point. I am a college student, my only personal 'income' being from loans, which are, of course, not to be used for straight-up entertainment purposes. My Switch was a gift from my parents. So, believe it or not you all, but the circumstances where someone can get a Switch but can not pay for the online services is very much an actual thing.

Being down on money and being a casual gamer just puts me in a bad spot for this service. Even if I came up with $20 or whatever it is, I don't want to spend that on a service that I won't use for most of the time I paid for. But I don't want to miss out on playing Pokemon or Mario Kart online when I want to.

And again, I repeat, why in the world should I have to pay for such a mediocre service to begin with? Friend Codes... Just no, Nintendo. No.

its only $20 per year, but its still a scummy business practice.

its just 20$ per year , if you can pay 300$ (or even more) for the console and $60 for games then you can pay just 20$ for online play , lol

Back