original or unoriginal villager?

Quite easily: a villager starts off with a default shirt and default furniture in their house. If these things differ from what was originally there when the villager initially moves in they are not "original". They also have a default greeting and catchphrase too, which can be looked up on the Animal Crossing wiki.

EDIT: Here is a link to all the villagers. I'm sure if you click their name you can find out what all their default stuff is.

Last edited:
MR7O2Wi - Imgur.jpg
Here's Gaston's original house interior with his original furniture and he's wearing his default shirt.His original catchphrase is "mon chou".

CNHdk2OUAAAqGFs.jpg
Here's my unoriginal Gaston after two years in my town.He doesn't have any of his original furniture(Heh,I actually think it's an improvement over his original stuff)

I'm still confused, but I think I asked the wrong question. What do "original" and "unoriginal" mean to begin with? I thought it was the difference between the villagers before and after the amiibo update-scanned or unscanned.

I'm still confused, but I think I asked the wrong question. What do "original" and "unoriginal" mean to begin with? I thought it was the difference between the villagers before and after the amiibo update-scanned or unscanned.

Original means they're the same as when they move in, same catchphrase, same shirt, same interior. Unoriginal means something has been changed.

To maybe split hairs a bit, but original is usually kept for how the villager looks when it is game generated - so it will have the default shirt & the furniture as allocated by Nintendo, as per post #2 & #3.

If you get a villager from another town (either via the other towns void, by asking an inboxes villager to move in or via streetpass) the villager is not going to be original - its really difficult to keep a villager original/as per game generated.
As soon as they move in they change their clothes & their furniture.

If you scan in a villager from a card or figurine they will be original/game generated.

To maybe split hairs a bit, but original is usually kept for how the villager looks when it is game generated - so it will have the default shirt & the furniture as allocated by Nintendo, as per post #2 & #3.

If you get a villager from another town (either via the other towns void, by asking an inboxes villager to move in or via streetpass) the villager is not going to be original - its really difficult to keep a villager original/as per game generated.
As soon as they move in they change their clothes & their furniture.

If you scan in a villager from a card or figurine they will be original/game generated.

Oh, thank you for this additional information!

Back