• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Dirt Paths: Various Questions

Anactoria

Bells
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Green Candy
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
White Pansy
Hey guys, so this is my first time really making dirt paths (I tried it briefly before). There's a number of threads on this, but it seems like they're kind of patchy, and the answers aren't that clear - I guess it's not an exact science. But I've decided to compile a few of my questions here: It would be super cool if anyone had any advice :cool:

1. Running or walking?
In my brief attempt at dirt path-making, I actually thought walking was better, but that might have been my imagination!​

2. How many times?
Is it true that you should run over your paths a few times, save, then rinse & repeat in the SAME DAY?
Or should you only do it a couple of times per day, then TT?​

3. Diagonals
Do diagonal dirt paths look good? Do they form "full" dirt paths, or do they stay sketchy (like swirly dirt)?​

4. Things on top of paths while making paths
Namely QR PATHS, CLOVERS, DROPPED ITEMS. Do they prevent paths from being formed? I'm just wondering whether I should mark my paths by putting things on the borders or putting things on the path itself.​

5. Starting from present dirt patches
This I definitely noticed before - that it's easier to start from dirt patches on your land, and extend them. But can you make fresh dirt paths without starting from them?​

Please don't hesitate to post even if a question seems to be answered already! The more opinions the merrier (ho ho ho).

Any other tips besides what I've asked would be appreciated as well! ^-^

1. Running or walking?
I believe running is better! I'm not entirely certain, so... just please let me know if anyone knows otherwise.

2. How many times?
Is it true that you should run over your paths a few times, save, then rinse & repeat in the SAME DAY?
Or should you only do it a couple of times per day, then TT?

If I'm not mistaken, reloading your game deteriorates the grass a tiny bit. TTing grows it back. Again, anyone correct me. I'm not 100% certain.

3. Diagonals
Do diagonal dirt paths look good? Do they form "full" dirt paths, or do they stay sketchy (like swirly dirt)?

Yeah! They do! I've had diagonal dirt paths before and I thought it looked just as nice as my regular vertical/horizontal paths.

4. Things on top of paths while making paths
Namely QR PATHS, CLOVERS, DROPPED ITEMS. Do they prevent paths from being formed? I'm just wondering whether I should mark my paths by putting things on the borders or putting things on the path itself.

QR codes might keep the grass from wearing out as quickly. Cloves, dropped item, and so on, I've never had any problems with.

5. Starting from present dirt patches
This I definitely noticed before - that it's easier to start from dirt patches on your land, and extend them. But can you make fresh dirt paths without starting from them?

For sure! I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. Grass wears in areas you walk a lot, so that shouldn't be too big of a deal. :)

Be aware in winter. When the snow rolls in, it'll refresh all your grass, destroying your dirt paths. That was the main reason I decided not to use dirt paths in the long run.

1. running is much faster, bc it degrades the grass at a faster rate :)
2. i think saving and repeating on the same day is better, personally, but the main thing is that you have to have dedication and always spend at least a few minutes a day running all over town on your paths. my dirt paths are already well established, so i just have to do a couple run-throughs (literally lol) on all my paths each day to maintain them, which i easily do anyway with everyday gameplay, but since you're trying to make the paths, i suggest just spending as much time as possible every day/ every save instance running on your paths. a little bit a day will pay off!
3. i have a couple diagonal dirt paths, and they aren't really clean and nice, but they don't look patchy at all- just not as strict. i like them that way though, bc i don't want my dirt paths to look too perfect anyway
4. qr paths make it a lil harder for dirt paths to form, but tbh my dirt paths formed because i was using qrs. i had qr paths all over town, and after a couple months of using those paths and running on them, when i decided to get rid of the qrs, i already had really clean dirt paths. however, i do think that its faster to form dirt paths w/o the qrs, but mine just helped me to stay running in the same lines if that makes sense? i have clovers on my paths now, and i don't think they affect anything
5. you can definitely make fresh paths, but it takes a lil more time. like i said before, i 'accidentally' made my dirt paths just by running all over my qr paths for a while, but there also have been places where i've tried to make new dirt paths, and they've been developing nicely :)

if you have more questions, feel free to ask!! i hope my answers were helpful :')

1. It doesn't really matter. It's how many times you run/walk those paths a day between saving & quitting and changing characters that count. Basically.. you won't notice much difference anyways until a week or so passes.

2. I have recently started a fresh dirt path and I found that running the path 1-2 times with one character, saving and quitting and doing it with the same or another character, definitely helps your grass deterioration. It may seem like a "chore" but I play most of my secondary characters to get mail, decorate houses, etc. so just logging on to them and remember to run your town once over is enough to make a difference.

3. I have small sections of diagonal paths.. well I definitely have more windy paths than straight paths. If you plant bushes/trees/flowers to border your diagonal path and only run through there, the path will also come out full and even. I find that blocking off areas with bushes help in making the path compact and not stray. I use flowers a lot for my paths and I think someone of those became a little sketchy looking.

4. They do not prevent them from being formed, but i prefer not to have QR paths on my dirt paths because I like seeing my slow painful progress :'D

5. Even if it's a "fresh" patch of grass with no deterioration at all, if you notice you run around that area often, it will eventually spread. For example, there's a nook in my town with a log bench that I don't visit often but I go to once in a while to dig up bamboo.. even though I don't go there often, since it is part of my daily walking routine, I noticed a path already forming there even though I didn't want it to. For me, those "original" dirt patches don't spread or get bigger because I try and avoid them in general as they are not on my main path anyways.

Another tip now that it's winter (don't know if you're a time traveler or not) it's incredibly hard to make dirt paths in the winter or during rainy seasons because rain and snow helps the grass grow back in. You'll find yourself having to run twice as much just to maintain them. This is why I'm still in the autumn month in my town :'D

Good luck!

Back