• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Can save data transfer from one system to a new one? How?!

RennyWest

Bells
Hi! I own a digital copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf, played it a lot - however afer a one too many unfortunate falls my 3ds is quite damaged (still working, but little bits fell off) and I decided to buy new system - New 3ds xl. I thought that I can just take SD card and put it in new system, but nope - it uses only microSD card!
So I want to ask - if I use a card reader can I transfer my game from one card to another? Does it transfer the saves too? I really don't want to loose my town - not after so much work I put into it. :(

You cannot transfer save data from one system to another as it is encrypted using a different key. There is a game license transfer tool in the system settings, though this will not transfer save data. I think ACNL has an option on the title screen for transferring save data to another system but this would require having ACNL on both systems at once. You're a bit stuck without homebrew.

Homebrew? What's that?

Executing custom scripts using an exploit such as Ninjhax, Browserhax, Tubehax, Ironhax etc. It's possible all of those have been patched by now and an older firmware version is required but could be worth looking into. I've not played around with homebrew for a while. With it, there are various tools you can download, some of which allow the exporting and importing of ACNL data, which can also be modified - this is how about half of hacked towns are made. Works well for backup purposes although I've never played around with it. Not sure how in-depth I'm allowed to go on this site.

Before you go the homebrew route, I would ring Nintendo, cos I'm sure that you can transfer your game from one 3ds to another.
All you have done is upgraded your hardware. I know the SD cards are different.
I don't know how its done, but I can't see why a digital copy would be so restrictive.
If your game had been a cart, well then you just move the cart across.

I would ring Nintendo just to make sure you can't transfer your game/all the hours you have played, from one system to another.
Nintendo.com has a lot of tech support pages as well.

Nintendo customer service is very nice, they help you.
I'm not sure about the save data though, you might have buy a micro sd and adapter, they're pretty cheap, just copy every thing that's on your current sd card onto the micro with a computer. Nintendo have several walk throughs about this on their website.

Thank you, everyone :) I'll wait until the Toy Day is over and then I'll try working on it.

Last edited:
Thank you - I'll try looking at options you mentioned. :)

yeah, try doing a lot of research before doing anything with your 3ds. feel free to ask me questions, i'm a pro on this (but only ask in private messages! hacking is quite restricted here in public)

If you aren't going to use the old 3DS any more, can't you just do a System Transfer from Settings? That would transfer the licenses for your digital games and save data to your New 3DS XL. Then, get an adapter for the microSD card and use a computer to copy all data from the old card to the new one. When you put the microSD card into the New 3DS XL after the system transfer, it should work. I'm no expert on transferring save data, but based on what I know, that should work.

However, it does look like the system transfer might actually include save data - http://www.gamesradar.com/transfer-all-your-data-one-3ds-another/. My only concern is that ACNL save data is more restrictive than most (can't take a backup etc.) but it might actually be alright after all.

System Transfers do transfer save data. That includes ACNL save data. I just did a transfer to a New 2DS XL, and it worked quickly and flawlessly.

Back