• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Mafia TBT Mafia History Thread 2.0

N e s s

Waiting for something to happen?
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
う
Holiday Candy Cane 2016
Red Feather
Father's Day Carnation
Cherry (Fruit)
Happy Home Designer Token
Orange Mote of Flame
Apple (Fruit)
January Birthstone (Garnet)
Small Mailbox
Official TBT Mafia History 2.0

Looking into a player's past games? Need inspiration for roles in your mafia game? Or just want to read up on previous games in general? Search no further: use this thread to look at past games hosted in TBT.

Preface

There are 4 game types of Mafia at TBT: Main, Experimental, Newbie, and Just For Fun games. For more information, please click the spoiler bubble below:

Main Mafia - Main Mafia games are the typical fare of games. They consist of town vs Mafia/Cult/Serial Killers/Third Parties with any number of those enemy factions possible within the game if the host has worked the role in. Accepted "experimental" game modes can also call this home such as Arsonist Mafia (Forest Fire Mafia) and Kingmaker games (Game of Thrones Mafia/Fire Emblem Mafia). Ideally everyone who hosts these games would be considered veteran players.

Experimental Mafia - These games will probably lean on the unbalanced or untested side. They could possess potential changes that the host feels could be seen as unfair, crazy setups (TBT Scummies Mafia), or modes that haven't been thoroughly tested on TBT yet. There is no hosting requirement

Newbie Mafia - Newbie mafia games are meant to introduce new players to mafia and allow "low performers" to perfect their mafia playstyle in an attempt to make them a better player. First time hosts who do not feel confident enough in their ability can host/ask to co-host a game using this tag as well.

Just for Fun- These games are usually either: very short (Ex: Super Saint 3), unbalanced (Improbable Role Mafia), or are small set-ups created usually when we're waiting for the next main game to be open (Dethys, I'm a Cop YOU IDIOT, Etc).

I will be formatting the posts below into these 4 categories. Given that there is a VERY large gap of games to update the history with, I will be starting the game that was last used in the original TBT Mafia Queue Thread to pick up from. Games before then may or may not receive an entry.

Any games that are at or below 9 players are not considered official and therefore will not receive an entry.

Formatting

Formatting of entries will be done as follows:

Link to Game (Host: N e s s, Players: 20)
Winner: Town
[Information about the game will go here] EX: This was 27th game of mafia on TBT, it was known for Town managing to pull out a victory right at the very end of the game.

Roles:
Townie
Cop, Doctor, Vigilante
Mafia Goon, Godfather

Main, Experimental and Newbie Games will be formatted this way. Given how many "Just for Fun" games there are, I won't be writing information on them due to them being fairly short.

Extra Information:

-If I accidentally miss a game to enter, please bring it to my attention and I will write an entry on it.
-Please do not bother me to update this on a regular basis. I will update this whenever I have time to, I promise I'll make sure to keep it as up-to-date as possible.
-If there is a new game up, I will not write an entry on it unless the game has been successfully finished.

Further Reading:

Here is the link to the original TBT Mafia History Thread: Official TBT Mafia History Thread (Old)

Last edited:
Main Games
Games relevant to the current Meta
A Summer Fling (Host: Damniel, Players: 11)
Winner: Mafia

One of the few main games of 2019. While not the longest game, the mafia conned their way into victory by a lucky cop inspect on their Godfather, Radical6. The game ended upon the mafia reaching their win condition on Day 4.

Roles:
Townie, Unaware Miller
Detective, 1-Shot Vigilante
Godfather, Mafia Goon

Mountainous by Demand (Host: Biancasbotique, Players: 9)

A fairly simplistic game using only townies and mafia goons. The game ended after the last mafia, Antonio, conned his way into victory.

Roles:
Townie
Mafia Goon

Last edited:
Archived Main Games
Games hosted before 2020, not really useful for Meta anymore​

Overwatch Mafia (Host: Curry, Players: 15)

This was the first "Main Series" game after a long hiatus of nearly 3 months without a standard game of above 15 players. Scum started off fairly strong, but quickly went downhill with the remaining 3 mafia being lynched each day after a vigilante killed their goon on Night 1.

Roles:
Townie
Bus Driver, 1-Shot Vigilante, Roleblocker, Cop, Doctor, Veteran
Godfather, Roleblocker, Framer, Mafia Goon

"Themeless" Mafia (Host: Dolby, Players: 16)

Themeless mafia was the first game in a while that strayed more towards the standard set-up of mafia, including most of the basic Mafia/Blue roles. The game itself, however, did not fair too well for town due to most of it's inconveniences, which included: The doctor failing to send in night actions, 1 of the 2 vigilantes being lynched on Day 1, the detective being roleblocked the night they were about to investigate mafia, and worst of all: the second vigilante allowing their shot to be swayed by 2 of the mafia members.

Roles:
Townie
Detective, Doctor, Vigilante, Veteran
Godfather, Roleblocker, Framer, Mafia Goon

Paper Mario - The Thousand Year Door Mafia (Host: Toadsworthy, Players: 15)

As a more experimental game, this was user Toadsworthy's first game to host. Despite the game being townsided with half the playerlist having a blue role, Mafia managed to go each day without being lynched once. However: this was the first game in a LONG time to feature the Mafia Traitor role, albeit in a less traditional form.

Roles:
Townie, Miller
Detective, Doctor, Vote Thief, 1-Shot Bodyguard, 1-Shot Governor, Veteran,
Jack of all Trades

Mafia Goon, Godfather, 1-Shot Strongarm, Roleblocker/Traitor.

Steven Universe 2 (Hosts: Jacob & f11, Players: 20)
Winners: Town, Unlyncher

Being a continuation of a game hosted last year (Steven Universe Newbie Mafia), this game is one of the most memorable of 2017 due to it introducing 3 new roles to TBT.

Roles:
Townie
Inventor [NEW], Bodyguard, Oracle [NEW], Roleblocker, 1-Shot Vigilante,
1-Shot Jailer

Jester, Unlyncher
2-Shot Blackmailer [NEW], 1-Shot Strongarm, Mafia Hider, Mafia Goon

Super Smash Brothers: Mafia! (2) (Host: N e s s, Players: 15)

Being a continuation of a game hosted 3 years ago (Super Smash Brothers: Mafia!), this was a much more balanced set-up compared to it's predecessor. It ended with the mafia being able to lead the town into it's loss, with the Godfather (Dolby) tricking the town into clearing him by claim Jack of all Trades.

Roles:
Townie
Detective, Doctor, Veteran
Serial Killer
Godfather, Roleblocker, Framer

Trouble in Alola
(Host: Zendel, Players: 15)
Winner: Draw

Despite the game being a balanced set-up, it was cut short at the end of Day 2 due to the host having IRL issues. Along with this, a lot of people began to assume that the set-up was unbalanced due to the 1-Shot Vigilante role not being specific enough, leading people to believe that the role had infinite shots. The mafia even used one of their own abilities on one of their members in an attempt to clear them.

Roles:
Townie, Miller
1-Shot Vigilante, 1-Shot Veteran, Detective, Doctor
Godfather, Roleblocker, Blackmailer

Death by Design
(Hosts: Biancasbotique and Kirbystarship, Players: 13)
Winner: Draw

This was user Biancasbotique's first time hosting, with Kirbystarship along as a cohost. The main theme of this game was an original story based around Animal Crossing: New Leaf. However, the set-up turned out to be incredibly unbalanced for the mafia in terms of roles. It serves as a prime example of how role balancing can be easily overlooked.

Roles:
Townie
Detective, Doctor, Masons, Governor (Mayor)
Survivor
Mafia Goon, Godfather, Framer

Mystic Messenger
(Host: Arstotzkan, Players: 17)
Winner: Town, Jester

This game was themed around the otome game "Mystic Messenger" and was hosted by none other than Arstotzkan. This game was slightly unbalanced for the mafia and resulted in a town win, yet was still incredibly enjoyable, as the Jester actually managed to convince the town to lynch them on the very first day of the game, resulting in the very first Jester win on TBT.

Roles:

Townie
Detective, Doctor, Bus Driver, Jailer, Watcher
Jester, Witch [NEW]
Mafia Goon, Godfather, Roleblocker

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
(Hosts: Toadsworthy & PandaDarling, Players: 18)

After a stretch of games that were either unbalanced or canceled early on, Toadsworthy and PandaDarling created this game that was one of the most well hosted games of 2017. Mafia was almost lynched near the end, as the user glow was an immortal tree-stump who couldn't be killed, almost lead a lynch on the Mafia Ninja. Despite this, the remaining 2 mafia pulled through and managed to win the game.

Roles:
Townie, Tree stump, Explorer (Unaware Drunk)
Jack of all Trades, Watcher, Lightning Rod [NEW], Doctor, Veteran
Inquisitor [NEW]
Mafia Ninja, Role Cop, 2-Shot Trapper [NEW]

Caxnival
(Host: Tina, Players: 20)

Being one of the largest games of 2017, Caxnival was a more flavour focused game hosted by Tina. The game introduced TBT's first Sleeper Tree Stump, which allowed a dead mafia to post as much as they wanted. It ended with a rogue mafia member bussing all of his team mates, which in a roundabout way, actually won them the game.

Roles:
Townie, Siblings
Detective, Doctor, Roleblocker, Vigilante, Vote Thief
Survivor
Godfather, Strongarm, Roleblocker/Sleeper Tree Stump [NEW], Framer

Wrath of the Egyptian Gods
(Host: N e s s, Players: 20)

Going strong with the same player count from Caxnival, this game brought back the Kingmaker set-up with the last Kingmaker being hosted over a year ago. Wrath of the Egyptian Gods was an original themed game that was focused around old Egyptian mythology. Mafia was on a very strong track to win the game with having survived 2 phases, but after day 3, all 4 of the mafia died each phase with one of them being killed due to inactivity.

Roles:
Townie
Detective, Doctor, 1-Shot Vigilante, Hero, Kingmaker
Lover
Godfather, Roleblocker, Janitor, Mafia Goon

Generic Mafia
(Host: xCleb, Players: 11)
Winner: Dormant Serial Killer

This was user xCleb's first time hosting a game. Unfortunately, the game was meant to be based around the anime Dragonball Z with a larger player count, yet ended up having a lower playercount due to most usual players being busy. The set-up turned out to the very first Mountainous set-up that was featured for a main game, but had a slight twist on it; there was 1 mafia member and a dormant serial killer. In the end, the Dormant Serial Killer won thanks to lynching the Mafia Goon on the last day of the game.

Roles:
Townie
Dormant Serial Killer
Mafia Goon

Woodpines Oregon
(Host: N e s s, Players: 15)
Winners: Mafia, Lyncher

An original game with a run of the mill murder mystery story. Originally, it was meant to be based around the popular bullet hell game Cuphead, but was changed to an original story at the last second due to time constraints. The set-up was mostly based around movement of players, but the Watcher role died night 1, rendering the main gimmick of the set-up negated. The game had a Blue Massacre of night 1 where two of the town's most important roles were killed off. The mafia managed to win in the end thanks to leading the town to lynching one of it's remaining blue roles.

Roles:
Townie, Unaware Drunk
Watcher, Doctor, Jack of all Trades, Double Voter
Lyncher
Godfather, 2-Shot Mafia Ninja, Roleblocker

Last edited:
Archived Experimental Games
Games hosted before 2020, not really useful for Meta anymore​

The Witch Hunts (Bayonetta) (Host: Bowie, Players: 8)

Originally meant to be a role play, user Bowie decided to transform it into a mafia game. While slightly unbalanced, this game marked a first in many of Bowie's experimental mafia games to come.

Roles:
Townie (?)
Mafia Goon (?)

The Franchise Wars (Host: Damniel, Players: 15)
Winners: Town, Lyncher

This was a highly experimental game that was hosted by the user Damniel. While it was a 15 player game, it had 2 Third-Party roles along with the majority of town being blue roles. It ended in the last mafia and the Serial Killer both targeting eachother on Night 4, ending the game immediately.

Roles:
Townie, Miller
Jailer, Jack of all Trades, Veteran, Detective, Doctor
Lyncher, Serial Killer
Role Cop, Strongarm, Mafia Goon, Framer

Noatun, City of Genesis (Bayonetta 2) (Host: Bowie, Players: 10)

As a continuation of his first game, Bowie reused many of his ideas in this new game that he didn't get to use initially due to how quickly his first game ended. It had many more experimental ideas involved this time around.

Roles:
Townie (?)
Mafia Goon (?)

Big Brother Mafia (Host: Bowie, Players: 10)
Winner: Amazonevan19

This was a bit of an oddball of a set-up that was created by the user Bowie. It was a bit a of a lovechild of the Kingmaker and Lynchers set-up where each player was their own team, yet had to elect one player among them who they *think* wouldn't kill them. It wasn't really a game of "mafia" since there wasn't any scumhunting to be done, but certainly one of the more interesting set-ups created to this date. It ended in the user Amazonevan19 being selected as the sole survivor, with all of the previously dead spectators choosing who would win between him and user Kirbystarship.

Roles:
House Guests (Survivor), Head of Household (King)

TBT Mafia Scummies IV Game (Host: Damniel, Players: 17)
Winner: Karen

This game was part of the the 4th annual TBT Scummie awards and was the Second of the Scummie games. Being a Scummie game, it was intentionally designed to cause complete and utter chaos. In fact, each role in the game was actually town aligned! The game was designed to be a "battle royale" all along, and the remaining two users had to play a game of "Duelists" to determine who the winner was. In the end, the user Karen had reigned supreme and won the game.

Roles: I won't go into this because its just a huge mess

The Real Housewives of Mafia (Host: Toadsworthy, Players: 18)

This game was themed around the infamous reality television series "The Real Housewives". It was an experimental game that introduced the Medium and Unjester roles to TBT. Since this was TBT's first PM game in over a year, chaos was bound to ensue. However, what the game is most memorable for was the Unjester "betraying" the mafia by outing 2 of it's members while keeping the last one hidden. After the first 2 mafia were killed, the last mafia went under the radar for some time due to the Unjester continuously feeding town lies as to who the last mafia is.

Roles:
Townie
Detective, Jailkeeper, Medium [NEW], Town Messenger, Bus Driver
Unjester [NEW], Arsonist
Godfather Messenger, Doublevoter, Roleblocker

American Politics (Host: Trundle, Players: 17)

Being the first game in over 2 years to feature the Day 0 Mayor election, this was user Trundle's first game to host in a long time. While it was a bit unbalanced for the mafia, the game overall was still enjoyable. The game is most memorable for the Tweeter posing as the Oracle role and sending false reports to players in the game. In doing so, 1 player was almost framed as mafia and 1 of the mafia was almost cleared out of reverse psychology.

Roles:
Townie, Self-Aware Miller
Detective, Doctor, Masons, Jack of all Trades, Veteran, Mayor (elected)
Godfather, Roleblocker/Messenger, Mafia Goon

Call the Ships to Port (Host: Tina, Players: 25)

One of TBT Mafia's largest games since 2015. This game managed to reach 25 players and reached over 4000 posts total, making it record breaking for the site's history in general. The game is most known for it's emphasis around a time bomb mechanic that only allowed the town a certain number of mislynches until the mafia automatically won. The time bomb started after day 3, where user PunchyDaHufflepuff was mistakenly lynched and was revealed to be the Time Bomb Veteran. The town eventually reigned supreme after using process of elimination to sort out who the town was from the many blue roles featured within the game. It came close between two users, Dad and iLoveYou, who both had compelling evidence against eachother, yet nobody could figure out which one of them was the remaining mafia. The game ended after user iLoveYou surrendered as the last remaining mafia.

Roles:
Townie
Detective, Doctor/Miller, Time Bomb Veteran [NEW], 1-Shot Vigilante, Innocent Child, Nurse, Bodyguard, Vote Gifter [NEW], Will Writer [NEW]
Action-Immune, Time Bomb, Jack of all Trades, Roleblocker, Framer

Hunger Games Mafia (Host: Vampnessa, Players: 15)
Winner: Mafia, Survivor

This game was user Vampnessa's first time hosting. The game was based upon the hit novel/film trilogy 'The Hunger Games'. Players did not have any official rolename, rather opting to call the in-game players by their usernames and referring to one of the core 'districts' known to the Hunger Games saga. This game introduced the "Gambler" role to TBT Mafia, having the player guess who would be lynched the next day, gaining a 1-shot vigilante kill should they have been correct. There was also the Fruit Vendor role, a modified version of the Drunk, allowing the player the night action as visiting players at night with side effects.

Roles:
Townie, Fruit Vendor
Detective, Doctor, 1-Shot Veteran, Gambler [NEW]
Survivor
Roleblocker, Trapper, Framer

Last edited:
Reserved

- - - Post Merge - - -

Alright i think it should be okay for people to post in this from here on out, I reserved 6 posts to ensure that I wouldn't run out of character space.

Ness said:
After a stretch of games that were either unbalanced or canceled early on, Toadsworthy and PandaDarling created this game that was one of the most well hosted games of 2017. Mafia was almost lynched near the end, as the user glow was an immortal tree-stump who couldn't be killed, almost lead a lynch on the Mafia Ninja. Despite this, the remaining 2 mafia pulled through and managed to win the game.

I cry

I feel that Trouble in Alola would have played out well if...yeah it wouldn't have possibly worked out.

Also thank you, I knew the set up was balanced but people began to assume that it wasn't because I was a first time host. I'll be hosting again in the future and I hope I will satisfy everyone who joins it. :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Wish I had the notes for that game so it could have went better. sorry about that.

the thread should be up to date with the main games now

Last edited:
Steven Universe 2 (Hosts: Jacob & f11, Players: 20)
Being a continuation of a game hosted last year (Steven Universe Newbie Mafia), this game is one of the most memorable of 2017 due to it introducing 3 new roles to TBT.

Yes holler at em

Thank you for this thread Ness. This is incredibly helpful! I luv the little commentaries for each game.

Also Steven Universe 2 remains the best game I played in 2017 (not that I played a lot)

To make or not to make scummy awards

Back