• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

what are your obscure interests?

mitfy

court jester
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Famous Mushroom
Friday the 13th Candy
Lucky
Voodoo Doll
Ancient Candle
Purple Bat Potion
Pumpkin Cupcake
Ruby
Pink Candy
you know, things you enjoy/are interested in, but aren't really well known, important, or popular?

just a thread to share your interests and maybe find someone else who likes the same things. :rolleyes:

i personally have a handful, though passing.
i am generally a fan of abandoned/defunct things, and love to read and watch videos about those types of things. ESPECIALLY theme parks. i love theme parks enough as it is but i find abandoned theme parks particularly interesting. i'll probably remember more eventually lol.

I agree with you on abandoned places -- I love them.
A controversial one I love is true crime. Sure, the True Crime Community is a bit messed up and downright pathetic at times, but that doesn't put me off it.

Last edited:
french new wave films are literally my guilty pleasure

I love microcontrollers. Sadly, most people don‘t seem to even know what that is.

Last edited:
I agree with you on abandoned places -- I love them.
A controversial one I love is true crime. Sure, the True Crime Community is a bit messed up and downright pathetic at times, but that doesn't put me off it.

oh, i love true crime as well. i find it disturbing yet incredibly interesting (right up my alley!)
i've never even interacted with the true crime community but i know that they can be.... yeah..

oh man, i was thinking of something to post and i just realized that my ONLY interests are:

-drawing
-gaming
-being lazy n rude

how sad.

Anyway, to dive deeper and say what interests i have that most people don't know of:

-Animal Crossing. other than this forum, i don't know one person in real life that plays this game.
-Miitomo. Even though it's a Nintendo game, very little people here know of it.
-I got quite some interests with hacking honestly. I even rooted my old, slow Android tablet, to try and make it faster and hack some games. I've done CFW on my 3DS (strong hacking, like going down to the core of the ds) because i'm so interested and i want the best out of my stuff. But like, nobody here is the same.
-how i dislike social media (instagram etc) but lots of people like it. it's weird idk, i've even tried instagram but i didn't get the "disease" and become addicted.

that was a short list. (?・ω・`) maybe i'll think of more and come back?

One thing I never hear people talking about at all despite it being great is Thrilling Intent. Amazing Pathfinder tabletop campaign that's been going on for about 4 years now. Basically they play it heavily house-ruled and with all the rolls and gameplay cut out so it comes out more as just regular storytelling.

So much work was put into the project yet still a small community somehow. Its weird.

i develop an interest in ugly looking, eerie and psychedelic looking things, such as top banana for the amiga

I think mostly everything I like is obscure. As a fan of horror, occult, mind f***s, and very strange things that have no explaination... there's just way, way too much to even think of.

My favorite video game is Rule of Rose, which is pretty out there, but also pretty normal for me.

If anybody else has ever heard of Harmony Korine (he made one semi-mainstream movie, wrote another semi-mainstream movie), but the rest of his stuff is way out there... and he's my favorite movie director. The stuff is trashy and weird and I dunno.

My favorite manga is After School Nightmare. Pretty strange, but manga can be strange.

Modest Mouse is my favorite band and I've been listening to a lot of Die Antwoord lately. They're not unheard of, but people think they're weird and probably really awful.

Pretty much everything I like, do, and am is pretty obscure... I love everything ugly, trippy, creepy, and weird.

Last edited:
I mean, lots, but I can't really name anything specific? Certain medical things, outer space, uhh yeah i can't really name anything else

Natural History. I'll sink hours into reading stuff about what sorts of things were going on in like the Devonian or Cretaceous periods.

mostly forgotten cartoons or cartoons only a handful of people watch like homestar runner, ever after high, etc.

I'm a big fan of Genesis... I'm sure nobody here has heard of them. They're a really awesome 70s-80s pop/rock/alternative group. I'm working on getting all their albums on vinyl... I have about half of them right now.

I also love fabrics that are used to make tie blankets, quilts, etc. Like one day I found a fabric at a craft store that had artwork from Majoras Mask on it and I like flipped out I was so happy xDDD

And then yall know my other weird interests... like the N64 (especially that logo, it's p lit). Also don't forget my supra mayro boiz :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh and I couldn't forget the wonder and mystery that is outer space and physics. I literally habe never seen anyone else my age who loves physics xD

I'm a big fan of Genesis... I'm sure nobody here has heard of them. They're a really awesome 70s-80s pop/rock/alternative group. I'm working on getting all their albums on vinyl... I have about half of them right now.

I liked early psychedelic Genesis, but when they switched to that crap sound with Phil Collins getting more space, nty.

But yeah my music taste is pretty obscure too. Aside from those people here I got to listen to old Portuguese protest music I don't really know many people who does.. except like one girl from Portugal I talk to on Discord obv. lol

Forensic science and random crappy horror movies. I have a habit of only watching old and/or low budget ones because while I love the horror genre I dislike the graphic gore in modern horrors. :T and a bunch of other things but mostly the gore.

Also repainting/restoring furniture I love it sm I could change drawer hardware all day

I'm a big fan of Genesis... I'm sure nobody here has heard of them.

Genesis is in the rock hall of fame and has like several multi-platinum albums, not really what I would think of as obscure haha

Well right off the bat not a lot of people collect dead things, so yeah, that. And I don't think many people are into .io games like I am, I get in too deep and spend way too much time playing them tbh... Faves right now are wormate.io(better than slither), superhex.io(better than paper), and skribbl.io(better than drawthis).

I am sure I could go on as I am kind of into a lot of things that don't have a huge following.

bugs, abandoned places, trippy or creepy stuff, teeth, medical stuff like needles, diseases, injuries, etc. cute things, gooey stuff and a lot of things that remind me of childhood

i am not a murderer

I liked early psychedelic Genesis, but when they switched to that crap sound with Phil Collins getting more space, nty.
It's funny cause I have all their newer albums on vinyl (except We Can't Dance but I gotta admit that one only had a few good songs) but I'm really lookin for the older albums now. Luckily the guy who owns the record store knows I like Genesis and hes helping me look fot old orginal copies :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

Genesis is in the rock hall of fame and has like several multi-platinum albums, not really what I would think of as obscure haha
I know they're pretty popular, but I mean in the sense that I'm only 18 and I'm a big fan. I've yet to find anyone my age who likes stuff like that except these two guys I kinda know but never see. I think they hide from me :,)

Back