How to Get More Public Works Project Requests

ToffanyCrossing

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Jingle Christmas Doll
I've only had 1 pwp request so far, I was wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the chance to get more pwp requests.

The diving trick. Swimming in the ocean with a wetsuit for five minutes and filling your pockets with bells, and then walking in front of every villager outside

To add onto what PunchyDaHufflepuff suggested, here's what you should do if you want a specific Public Works Project from a villager of a specific personality.

The basic idea is this: Completely surround the villager whose Public Works Project suggestion from with holes you've dug with your shovel so that they're boxed in and can't escape. Then, as was suggested, if you have a wetsuit from the island, go out and swim in the ocean for maybe around 4 or 5 minutes and then swim back on land and head back into the town. With luck and patience, eventually, the villager will ping (meaning, they'll get that surprised look and do that little excited jiggle back and forth which indicates they have something they want to discuss with you.) This doesn't usually work the first time around and you'll probably have to repeat it a few times. You will also want to, after a few attempts, talk to a different villager because at some point you won't get any pings until after a villager tells you that you've been playing a long time and should take a break. When the villager whose PWPs you are trying to acquire pings, quickly fill the hole by pressing Y and speak to them.

You probably don't even need to go swimming, as the objective is simply to stay out of eyeshot of the villagers for that short period of time so that their dialogue resets. But that's the method that people use, and it works.

Don't have any money or items like furniture on you. Fill your pockets with flowers or any item villagers won't ask for if they ping you. You don't want to have money on you since they may try to sell you something

unless filling your pockets completely with money somehow never triggers that ping, which makes sense since your pockets would still be full. Id prefer to be better safe than sorry. Also I don't think they ever ask for tools, so I think having those on hand won't hurt anything.

Please correct me if I'm wrong tho ;o;

Just dropping in to say that I really appreciate the info in this thread! I've been having problems getting PWP requests in Cybrtron, and the methods explained here should help immensely.

Thanks!

I have only ever filled my pockets with money and tools and they never ping me to sell me stuff nor ask me to buy stuff either. As long as you don't have empty spaces in your pockets they shouldn't ping you for anything like that since nothing else will fit. I had watched a video on doing the diving trick (it was mischacrossing I think, it's been awhile) and that's how she had explained it. I tried it and it's worked for me.

Last edited:
I'd still do the diving trick and swim out as far into the ocean as you can. I've tried this trick with all the above mentioned steps and stayed on the shoreline of the beach. For some reason I didn't have as much luck with random conversations (pings) then I did when I went into the ocean.

You'll need to get yourself a diving suit from Club Tortimer/the island if you don't have it. I think they cost 40 medals, so just do a few mini games over at the island to get one. As everyone else said, don't have any money on you. Make sure that all of your slots are empty and filled with useless stuff villagers will never ask for (flowers, shells, maybe garbage?)

They won't ping you to buy stuff when you don't have money or ping to trade if you have worthless stuff and or have all slots full. You can only get one project per day. So don't try for more after a suggestion. It helps to have a timer to so you can keep track of the time. I hear it's anywhere between 5-15 minutes for the pings to come back.

Sometimes you'll get one right away while other times they'll just keep pinging you for stupid questions or whatever. This is also a good way to ping a mover to talk to you so you can tell them to stay or go.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh I forgot to mention, after a hour of play no one will ping you. You'll have to talk to someone to reset the ping. They'll say something along the lines of you needing a break from the game. Also if you haven't talked to a villager in a while or haven't played the game, they won't ping you either until you talk to them so they can be reset to their default dialogue.

You don't need a trick.
I got every PWP I wanted, one after the other.

Load your game, and make sure you have only shells on you, villagers won't try to buy anything from you that way.
Have no bells, so they can't try to sell you anything.

If you want only Uchi requests, then avoid all the others, and run by your Uchi.

She should ping you with a PWP.

If not, turn off without saving, and repeat the process.

Last edited:
You don't need a trick.
I got every PWP I wanted, one after the other.

Load your game, and make sure you have only shells on you, villagers won't try to buy anything from you that way.
Have no bells, so they can't try to sell you anything.

If you want only Uchi requests, then avoid all the others, and run by your Uchi.

She should ping you with a PWP.

If not, turn off without saving, and repeat the process.
Mm, I would not recommend this. It will wear down on your grass pretty badly! The more times you load your game, the worse grass deterioration gets on the paths you walk most. If you want to keep your town green (or in this case, nice and snowy), you may wanna stick to diving!

Sounds like a good idea for projects, but at the same time that much excessive wear on the 3ds might lead to corruption. (Or so I've heard)

Mm, I would not recommend this. It will wear down on your grass pretty badly! The more times you load your game, the worse grass deterioration gets on the paths you walk most. If you want to keep your town green (or in this case, nice and snowy), you may wanna stick to diving!

I'd rather run/wall right up to the villager, like I have done. I got the PWP I wanted, one a day until they were all unlocked.
My grass didn't suffer, as I only saved when I got the ping for the PWP I wanted.

I LOVE my dirt paths! ^_^

Last edited:
I'd rather run/wall right up to the villager, like I have done. I got the PWP I wanted, one a day until they were all unlocked.
My grass didn't suffer, as I only saved when I got the ping for the PWP I wanted.

I LOVE my dirt paths! ^_^
You have dirt paths, yet your grass wasn't affected? :confused:

On the grass wear issue - in city folk you wore the grass on any tile (or spot, whatever you want to call each individual space) you walked/run on. It only wore once that load of the game, but if the is game reloaded then you could wear that tile again. Walking or running, the effect was the same, it was the actual stepping on the tile that caused the wear.

I think it works the same in acnl (albeit we know the mechanic has changed in part) - but if you load and then don't save, then the wear on the grass does not take place.
So it works as Jon_Snow states.

Getting PWP requests - I haven't tried the diving trick - I will if I get frustrated enough as I would think it works.
All I do is make sure I take every ping I get with my Mayor - its tempting to not take the ping if you are carrying rares/busy.
Take them all, as the PWP request comes at any time in a game load. I keep friendship fairly high with the villagers by doing at least some of their tasks & a letter + gift on some days.
I load the Mayor at least twice in an ingame day.

I haven't attempted to just try getting PWP requests from a particular personality.
What I do is slow & I miss some as I don't get a ping every day, but its no work/effort and I do get most of them over time.

On the grass wear issue - in city folk you wore the grass on any tile (or spot, whatever you want to call each individual space) you walked/run on. It only wore once that load of the game, but if the is game reloaded then you could wear that tile again. Walking or running, the effect was the same, it was the actual stepping on the tile that caused the wear.

I think it works the same in acnl (albeit we know the mechanic has changed in part) - but if you load and then don't save, then the wear on the grass does not take place.
So it works as Jon_Snow states.
That is correct. If you don't save then the grass wear won't save either, so power resetting won't be an issue.

Was just playfully pointing out the contradiction between 'it never hurt my grass' and 'I love my deteriorated grass' in the same breath! :p

Yeah but power resetting can cause excessive wear on the actual system if done too much.

That is correct. If you don't save then the grass wear won't save either, so power resetting won't be an issue.

Was just playfully pointing out the contradiction between 'it never hurt my grass' and 'I love my deteriorated grass' in the same breath! :p

I never said that at all!
I simply said 'I love my dirt paths'. :(
The only grass ever worn was done on purpose, to make my paths! As stated, several times. :(
It's the dirt paths I walk on to get to my villagers, obviously.

Last edited:
I never said that at all!
I simply said 'I love my dirt paths'. :(
The only grass ever worn was done on purpose, to make my paths! As stated, several times. :(
It's the dirt paths I walk on to get to my villagers, obviously.
Dirt paths are caused by grass deterioration and grass deterioration alone... there's nothing wrong with them. Sounds like you love the look of it and that's all that matters. :lemon:

They are natural paths!
It took ages to make them.
I wore the grass ONLY where I wanted my paths.
I'm not talking about random grass-wear.
I simply posted my method to get PWP's. o_O

I don't see the problem.

Back