Most important feature you look for in a good map layout?

I like that too! When I bought a new game recently I was looking for a private beach since I never had one in my old town and was always jealous of people that did

The only big thing I mainly look for in maps is a retail close to the docks, late night beetle hunting is great for money and I don't want to have to run 500 miles back and forth to sell them :p

Placement of the permanent features: plaza, retail and town hall, along with how many ponds and their placement are primary concern. Secondary considerations are starting bridge and villager houses only because if I don't like their placement from the beginning, I don't want to go back and visit and work on the town. May as well get it right from the start and have one less thing to deal with in the long run.

since ACNL was my first AC game i didn't really know what to look for.
and i had only one save file since.
i just wanted Biskit to be one of my starter villager back then.

so when i saw biskit at the train station greeting, and welcoming me, i was content and went with it, ever since :p

how much space i have for villagers and landscaping. places with a lot of rocks or ponds are automatically a no from me

Where the town hall and plaza are located. I'll probably pick a map if the town hall and plaza are right next to it each other, it satisfies me for some reason. I've also wanted a private beach since I've never had one in my old town but I still don't have one lol.

if the town hall and plaza are in random locations I'm not going to pick that map

I like the town hall near the plaza, and the campsite being close to either them or near retail. Also pond locations, I don't want one smack bang in the middle of the map or just under the train station.

Where the town hall and plaza are located. I'll probably pick a map if the town hall and plaza are right next to it each other, it satisfies me for some reason. I've also wanted a private beach since I've never had one in my old town but I still don't have one lol.

if the town hall and plaza are in random locations I'm not going to pick that map

Lol we seem to like the exact opposite things. It kinda annoys me when there’s part of a beach that no one can get access to unless you have a diving suit, or when the retail and town hall are close to each other, as I want them to spread out across the map.

- - - Post Merge - - -

It also makes me cringe when I see a really long horizontal river or a narrow strip of land.

My town layouts are sloppy and terrible in comparison to other towns that have nice QR Code paths and whatnot, but I personally have tended to prefer having equal landmasses instead of one gigantic portion of town and a little stub or sliver of land separate from it. It was also a necessity for me that both of my beaches could be accessed by walking right from the start instead of having to get a wetsuit at a later date and swim to access one of them.

Last edited:
i like to look at placement of permanent things like town hall, retail, slopes, and the campground. i don't pick maps with narrow strips of land either, because it's hard to decorate those :')

other than that, i'm not too picky. i usually pick one of the first four maps rover shows me- no need for map resetting

Back