• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

I don't like my town...

MarineSong2001

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Mailbox
I would never reset or anything but... I just don't like it how it looks! Other people have lovely towns and mine is just bleh. How do people make their towns look so nice? Perhaps someone could visit and suggest ways to make it look better? Has anyone else felt like this before, and how did they fix it?

I've gone through that, thanks to badly placed villagers, but after booting everyone out, and plot resetting them to where I wanted them, I had the chance to re-landscape my whole town.
New PWP's, the ones that look good in MY town, not what I thought I *should* have.

I redid everything, and now I love it!

Sometimes our towns just need a good purge to become something we like again. ^_^

I felt that way about my original town (now reset). I began to focus on small areas to fix up. I visited lots of dream towns for ideas and looked up inspiration on the internet and went from there. I had a zen garden in one area. A traditional garden in another area. I turned the cafe surroundings into a modern sculpture area. Fixed up the plaza with trees and bushes, made little neighborhood areas where villagers had grouped their houses (no plot resetting since I didn't know about it at the time). Made an orchard, landscaped the beach with trees and flowers. I found some nice qr codes and designed some paths myself. All that literally kept me from resetting for years. Once I got a new ds as a gift and had the capability to do more with a second ds and a second town, I sold my original town to Nook and started over. My original town that I did all that work in was just too difficult to move around in, I'd placed permanent pwps in stupid places and I used my real name and had a kind of dumb town name so I wanted to change it. If not for that, the fixing up I did really made the town look nice at least.

I feel like that with every town I start. Right from the encounter with Rover on the train it starts down that "slippery slope" when I am greeted at the station by three varmints I don't like....sorry, forgot where I was going with this......

Maybe someone could look at my map and do a plan of what would look good?

UnMeXJe.jpg

hey I totally understand what you're going through!
i would recommend doing more public works projects
that will make you town look more lively and have more
stuff in it!

if your town is messy try going on a cutting spree just chop
down all the extra overgrown bamboo and stuff! you'll have a
better idea of what you want to do after there's more open space to
work with.

i would also choose a theme to work with - like my theme is pink so
i collected a bunch of pink flowers, chose pink pwps, and put pink
stones around my town to decorate. this makes it easier to decorate
and make your town look better!

I believe any layout can become beautiful - even ones where villager scatter across randomly. That said, perhaps you should send us a dream address of what you have. It would help us figure out how to solve your issues.

Well, it's not really about your map, hun. I like that map, personally. Do you, that's the question? Do you like your villagers and where their houses are? Do you like where you placed your extra characters? How old is your town? Do you have lots of PWP's to choose from? Do you have any themes in mind? Color preferences?

I was very unhappy with my town, too, it just seemed bleh, ;) and was thinking of resetting a few months ago, but I kept putting it off and didn't really know why. Then it dawned on me...I love most of my villagers and didn't want to go through the work and anxiety of trying to get at least my (three) favorites in a new town. (I didn't have any amiibo cards.) I like my map and I like the way the villagers are random, like yours, not all in a row. I love where my mayor's house is, especially! Yours is beautifully placed, too, imo!

I didn't like my paths, my PWP's all scattered willy-nilly, my bridge placements, the landscaping in general, actually. So here is what I did: I have heard it called a fresh start.

I erased most of my paths, demolished a bunch of PWP's, completely gutted my mayor's house (use the museum and your secret storage and the beaches and town square, etc, to keep what you want), sold and gave away bunches of flowers and items, chopped down lots of trees, dug up dozens of bushes (I was such a newbie when I got the town that I planted different kinds all mixed together) lol, and ugh!

I replaced only two villagers. I did put down paths in certain areas where I had plans, but they had a lot of freedom, in general, to live where they chose. Before they moved in I also chose spots for my second and third characters and put paths down.

I decided to have only yellow, blue, red, orange and white flowers. I don't have a whole-town theme, but I built a little zen area with the zen bench, the zen garden, the rack of rice and lots of bamboo. Around my tent campsite I put the outdoor faucet, an outdoor chair, a fountain and the firepit. I chose a different style bridge, moving two of them to better spots, and just replacing the third with the new style.

I could go on, but I do have a couple of suggestions based on your town map. Two more bridges would be my first project. Make it easier to get from one place to another. Think about your open spaces and about which PWP's you like, build them and then embellish them (or not-some look great as stand-alones).

Hope you're not feeling overwhelmed. I find the best plan for me is to focus on two, maybe three, areas at one time. One great thing about the game is that most of the PWP's can be demolished. I've built them and torn them down many times-it's only bells and time, after all! Have fun!

Any town can look nice if you put your mind to it. I think it's the case of trial and error and careful planning. For example plotting out where you want villagers to go, or cutting down your trees until you find a pattern that works and plotting out your PWPs. Your town won't always look perfect the first time around, but that's the point of trial and error. I also recommend not putting down any permanent PWPs just yet until you find something that works (like the campsite and the cafe.) I find that towns that have a lot of greenery, and are chock-full of PWPs around every corner can make the nicest towns IMHO.

Nenya said "I could go on, but I do have a couple of suggestions based on your town map. Two more bridges would be my first project. Make it easier to get from one place to another". My top priority is to get all 3 bridges in and where they give me the quickest access to wherever I need to go. Regarding your map, it wouldn't take even a full second to tell Rover to move on. Not a criticism of your tastes, it's just not what I personally could accept.

Thank you for all your suggestions! :) They are extremely helpful, and I will post my Dream Address as soon as I build the Dream Suite!

I now have a Dream Address for Faustina!

6B00-00BF-59BF

Please visit and suggest how it could be improved!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, I felt like that earlier this year. I spent so much time focusing on one town that I ended up neglecting the other. It was just my 'storage town', there were items and weeds everywhere, as well as half broken paths and houses filled with rubbish. During the summer I removed all of the items off of the ground and started to develop it. Although I regret choosing that layout, that town is almost 4 years old and I wouldn't dare reset it. I managed to find things that worked with the layout, for example I have a narrow area in which I placed hammocks and pine trees.

Here's some quick suggestions just by looking at your town map: I really loved where you put your Mayor's house. That's exactly where I would have chosen too. I would suggest making the bottom half of your town a nice, neat little neighborhood. You would have to plot reset a new slew of villagers to do that though and I have no idea if you have your dreamies or not. However, I find a quaint "neighborhood" area is nice and the villagers mingle and walk about with each other if they are to close to one another.

Around your campsite I would build a "natural" area. Such as put up the fire, hammock, and other natural looking PWPs around it.

I think you have one more house to build for another side character, I liked to make "businesses" with my other characters, such as one is a bakery and one will be a school. Maybe think of another business you could make (like a flower shop would be very cute) and decorate all around it thematically (so if it was a flower shop I would make sure there were lots of hybrids around it, trees, and anything gardening related PWP-wise).

Also, just having a very specific theme could help. I've seen lots of Fairytale/Cutesy towns, Natural/Foresty, Modern, Seaside, etc. With a theme in mind you can cater your villager choices to align with it and decorate to a more specific standard. Your name is MarineSong2001 (great song, I use it in one of my houses too), so a Rustic/Seaside theme would be pretty unique and cool!

Sorry to hear that, I felt like that earlier this year. I spent so much time focusing on one town that I ended up neglecting the other. It was just my 'storage town', there were items and weeds everywhere, as well as half broken paths and houses filled with rubbish. During the summer I removed all of the items off of the ground and started to develop it. Although I regret choosing that layout, that town is almost 4 years old and I wouldn't dare reset it. I managed to find things that worked with the layout, for example I have a narrow area in which I placed hammocks and pine trees.

Here's some quick suggestions just by looking at your town map: I really loved where you put your Mayor's house. That's exactly where I would have chosen too. I would suggest making the bottom half of your town a nice, neat little neighborhood. You would have to plot reset a new slew of villagers to do that though and I have no idea if you have your dreamies or not. However, I find a quaint "neighborhood" area is nice and the villagers mingle and walk about with each other if they are to close to one another.

Around your campsite I would build a "natural" area. Such as put up the fire, hammock, and other natural looking PWPs around it.

I think you have one more house to build for another side character, I liked to make "businesses" with my other characters, such as one is a bakery and one will be a school. Maybe think of another business you could make (like a flower shop would be very cute) and decorate all around it thematically (so if it was a flower shop I would make sure there were lots of hybrids around it, trees, and anything gardening related PWP-wise).

Also, just having a very specific theme could help. I've seen lots of Fairytale/Cutesy towns, Natural/Foresty, Modern, Seaside, etc. With a theme in mind you can cater your villager choices to align with it and decorate to a more specific standard. Your name is MarineSong2001 (great song, I use it in one of my houses too), so a Rustic/Seaside theme would be pretty unique and cool!
All very good suggestions! :) Maybe you could suggest more improvements by going to my dream town?

Back