• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

🎁The Season of Giving🎁

KaydeeKrunk

The Late Great Turt
Peach 🍑
Lemon 🍋
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Purple Candy
Purple Candy
Purple Candy
Purple Candy
Purple Candy
Purple Candy
Purple Candy
Purple Candy
Purple Candy
Purple Candy
It's the season of giving, so I wanted to make a thread to share all the fun gifts you're planning on, or have already gotten/made for other people in your life, sure we all want stuff, but isn't it just as, if not more fun giving the people you care for gifts?

I for one always go crazy around the holidays making and buying all sorts of things for my friend's and family and I love every second of it! (Well, besides being broke!)

This year I am doing a couple of neat things for the people I love!

I made handmade birdseed ornaments for my grandma, it was really fun, and kind of messy, but they turned out great! I always get her "bird" stuff because she loves feeding her birds and watching them out her window, and after the place I bought he really cute bird donuts was OUT OF STOCK this year I knew I had to make some of my very own! I know she'll love them because she has orioles that she adores, and I know the orioles will love the seed mix I got them!

For my mom I am making her a "puppy" book, I got a nice brown fabric photo album, and I am going to decorate the front with paw prints and print out a ton of photos of the last litter of puppies we had, as well as photos from this current litter and fill it with cute stickers and stuff as well! She is horrible at remembering to take photos and is always asking me to send her some of mine so I figured she'd love having hard copies of them in a nice little album! She's a total crazy dog lady so I know she'll really appreciate it.

I also went crazy making treats this year and I will be sending them off to my pen-pals and out of state family, as well as keeping some home for my family and I to eat. I made some amazing mint chocolate chip fudge that tastes dangerously close to the ice cream. FOUR kinds of truffles, dark chocolate, peppermint chocolate coated in peppermint bark, orange chocolate coated in cocoa powder and orange nonpareils, and my families traditional peanut butter go-for balls. I also have been thinking about making some holiday gummy lollipops since we have all sorts of molds for them and I had to buy some gelatin for the bird seed ornaments that we aren't going to use for anything else.

So what kind of neat things have you gotten/made for people this year?

i haven't made anything or given anything irl....cause i don't really have much to give

but i am going to a charity and getting gifts for the family (that's kinda why we can't buy gifts and give to others...) and uh we're going in less than a week :D

I've been planning for the last week or so what to get my family for christmas. This year is the first year I've had any money to spend on people, and I'm gonna take advantage of it! :)

For my brother, I found an R2-D2 mug that comes with some hot cocoa mix. I got him a Death Star mug for his birthday back in January and he loved it, and he also has a Storm Trooper mug so I figured I'll add more to his collection xDD
I'm thinking about something else too. Not sure what though. Prob something that has to do with dinosaurs (he's a paleo nerd).

For my mom... I'm not sure yet. I found a thing at Walmart that has Reeses mugs, and has some candy and stuff. I figured she'd prob really like cause she loves Reese's.

For my dad, I'm not sure yet. He kinda hides his interests from me so I'm not really sure what he likes. I know he likes TOP so I might get him like a "I want to believe in Josh Dun" shirt or something. Or maybe a nice button-up shirt.

For my grandma, I've been thinking about making a little Christmas Tree that has button ornaments on it. She loves buttons so I think she would really like it :blush:

That's all I have so far. I only have 10 days til christmas so I need to get crackin! xDD

I've knitted several things this year.

My mother: a cowl from a beautiful skein of alpaca/silk yarn, in a gorgeous copper color, that I picked up.

My sister: a lacy, very long, scarf made from a skein of handpainted sock yarn (sooty black with flashes of red, orange, yellow, and purple).

My niece: a pair of socks in a blue/purple handpaint with touches of pink.

My brother-in-law: a deep blue scarf with a single rope cable down one side.

My step-father: He loves to smoke a pipe, so every couple of years, I pick up supplies for that. I got a couple pouches of his tobacco, some pipe cleaners and screens, and I found an amazing vintage tin to store it all in. It's from the early 70s, a roly-poly opera singer (he's in a big band, and that was as close as I could get). You lift his head off to access the storage. I showed a picture to my sister and she said he'll love it.

My dad and step-mother: I'm not sending them anything, at their request, because for their birthdays in August (they're a day apart), I gave them a cleaning system for their C-Pap machines. The only way I could get them to accept it was to say it was also their holiday present. :rolleyes:

They're not specifically holiday gifts, because my brothers and I don't exchange anymore (they're both in Florida and I'm up in New England, so it's tough), but I took advantage of the holiday sales and got AncestryDNA kits for each of them. I did my DNA a few years ago, and if they do it, it will give a more complete picture of our makeup.

For my grandma, I've been thinking about making a little Christmas Tree that has button ornaments on it. She loves buttons so I think she would really like it :blush:

A button tree sounds adorable! I want a button tree now too!

- - - Post Merge - - -

I've knitted several things this year.

My mother: a cowl from a beautiful skein of alpaca/silk yarn, in a gorgeous copper color, that I picked up.

My sister: a lacy, very long, scarf made from a skein of handpainted sock yarn (sooty black with flashes of red, orange, yellow, and purple).

My niece: a pair of socks in a blue/purple handpaint with touches of pink.

My brother-in-law: a deep blue scarf with a single rope cable down one side.

My step-father: He loves to smoke a pipe, so every couple of years, I pick up supplies for that. I got a couple pouches of his tobacco, some pipe cleaners and screens, and I found an amazing vintage tin to store it all in. It's from the early 70s, a roly-poly opera singer (he's in a big band, and that was as close as I could get). You lift his head off to access the storage. I showed a picture to my sister and she said he'll love it.

My dad and step-mother: I'm not sending them anything, at their request, because for their birthdays in August (they're a day apart), I gave them a cleaning system for their C-Pap machines. The only way I could get them to accept it was to say it was also their holiday present. :rolleyes:

They're not specifically holiday gifts, because my brothers and I don't exchange anymore (they're both in Florida and I'm up in New England, so it's tough), but I took advantage of the holiday sales and got AncestryDNA kits for each of them. I did my DNA a few years ago, and if they do it, it will give a more complete picture of our makeup.

I am so jealous of people who can knit or crochet or even SEW! I don't think my fingers would survive! My mom crochets and my grandma knits so I get a lot of cozy gifts, and honestly I love them, especially beanies! And that tin sounds super neat! I love whimsical antiques like that. Doing Ancestry kits as gifts would be a great idea! And those gifts that are "kind of" for you are always the bests gifts. Like when I bought my boyfriend a PS3 and a TV but it was just so I didn't have to watch Netflix on my laptop anymore.

so i only have like 3 friends uhh and i'm getting one a keychain (literally $15 i screamed when i ordered it) from a movie she likes, one a gudetama figurine, and i still haven't figured out what to do for my last friend. we don't really have any interests in common, so i'm at a loss. maybe one of those adult coloring books or a disney movie she likes or something.

When the Christmas sales start on Steam, I'm gonna buy my fella Cuphead. He wanted it on PS4 but apparently it's not coming to PS4, so he's kind of bummed about it. It'll be a nice surprise, I hope! He has no idea.

Me and my friends usually go into a city called Dublin to buy eachother gifts and we are going in two day!

My family are all dead.
I don't celebrate Christmas anymore.
It's just a regular day.
Maybe a bit lonlier without Dad.

I did a lot of crocheting and knitting over the summer in preparation for Christmas.

My husband I made a 12 inch koopa troops

My brother in law I made a hat, mitts, and a 2 inch Yoda

I made 4 chunky hats for four friends, and made a knitted one as well.

Another friend I made her a frog

Aaannnd I made a mermaid tail blanket for another friend

For my brother I got him a burgundy sweatshirt and a grey v-neck t-shirt

For my mom I got her a christmas mug, some perfume, and fuzzy christmas socks

For my dad I got him a Detroit Red Wings hockey puck to add to his collection in the basement

For my best friend I got her a mason jar full of pedicure stuff and I wrote on a tag "for your mistle toes"

Anddd for my other friend I got her a box of assorted christmas items (Fuzzy blanket, ugly xmas sweater, socks, and a candle) and on the box I wrote "open for some christmas spirit"

I wanted to do some cute DIY stuff this year but I didn't/don't have enough time to get the materials together :(

I'm getting my dad a hydro flask since he always brings milk to work & water back home but his work is like 2 hours away and he's been using plastic bottles we get from this boba place (cute, but won't keep anything cold for long and the designs always end up scratching off)

For my mom and my sister I got them some stuff from Nature Republic - aloe vera gel (which my dad paid for lol), mask sheets, EXO oil blotting paper (got it because of the container + it's a mirror too so if they don't use the paper I'll just take it haha and have them keep the mirror) (I got them their favorite members), a little hand sanitizer because why not, and the purchase came with 2 free EXO standees so I got those in the members they like too!! + the aloe vera came with a free EXO poster so I'm giving that to my mom.

Haven't gotten anything for my brother yet (I really don't know what he likes) and for my dogs we always give them treats wrapped in tissue paper so they can unwrap them themselves.

For my roommate I got her a set of washi tapes, some ginger candy that she likes, a coloring book for stress relief and I'm also planning to get her a Sailor Moon keychain from a vendor at school (hoping they show up this week)

I've also gotten really into baking so I'm planning on baking Christmas themed cupcakes for relatives/others if I find the time

I still have yet to shop for my parents who are the most difficult people to buy for. It's a simple question; what do you want? Yet, they respond with nothing as well as along the lines of, don't waste your money. So, a lot of the time I leave those two to the last minute after procrastinating. Yesterday as well as last Saturday, I went on a mission to hunt for gifts to give to my brother. He's somewhat easy to buy for because I know what he wants. He even created an Amazon list which was useful. So far, I've bought him a lot of clothes since he barely has any and they'll also be useful for uni. He asked for a lamp, so I ended up buying that as well as a book about 'You think you know it all?' which sums up my brother in a nut shell.

I'm also considering to purchase a few superdry products online, he loves superdry.

Stayed up until 4pm today (that is getting up for work the previous night at 8pm, getting home at 8am then staying up until 4pm) working on editing all of the photos for my mom's puppy book... gave myself a kink in the neck and got horrible sleep so my ick got worse... but I'm glad I got it done so I can go to the pharmacy on my days off and print all the pictures, as well as my holiday photos that will be sent out in my cards... I feel so behind this year! But yeah, I am just glad I got it done. And I got all my treats packaged up for my friends and family so I will be sending those out on Tuesday probably.

I was going to give some modded clear jungle green joycons to a friend... but since said friend decided to be nothing but a jerk, I guess they are my gift to myself now, lol. Good riddance.

Last edited:
The biggest thing I bought someone this year was the PS4 I got for my bf, I know he's still going to play his PS3 because he's not going to want to pay for online, and I only got him 1 game on it anyways. XD

I'm either making a handbound book or a felted brooch for the communal present pile this year. I'm not as confident about my gift-making skills because i'll be at my parents house until X-mas where I have limited supplies. We decided not to do secret santa this year and determine the gifts by playing mini games haha >:D

Finally finished up my mom's puppy book, had to go to Walmart and wait in line because SO MANY people were there getting prints. Because I was printing so many photos it took forever, honestly I should have just done the 1-Hour prints and gone shopping around first because it took FOREVER and we just had to awkwardly wait there with a line of people behind us printing a million photos. X.X

But I got it done and put really cute Boston Terrier stickers throughout the book so I hope she'll love it! =D

Back