• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The villagers are the biggest con artists in this game

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Orange ๐ŸŠ
Coconut ๐Ÿฅฅ
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
25158252_381380128970931_5392993242384041127_n.jpg
25348841_381380215637589_8504084919743557898_n.jpg
25289663_381380008970943_2586833019995400139_n.jpg

I just caught an:
Extremely rare Stringfish: worth 15000 bells

Chaddar wants to trade for:
Common Robo Clock: worth 350 bells

Even if this wasn't the first Stringfish I caught this winter, I still wouldn't trade.

Animal Connings: Con Artists NOT Turning over a New Leaf

Dont you love when they want your expensive furniture for the sweet exchange of a 50 bell tshirt :rolleyes:

Haha I remember first playing the game with an innocent mindset and Tom suckered me into buying a rare painting only to find out it was fake. Never forgave Tom ever since!

On the other hand, Gladys once gave me 24,000 for a hammerhead shark and Shep offered me 400 bells over Retail's buy price for a Napolean fish. But yeah, most of the time the trade offer is just awful. Jacques sold me a fake painting for close to 8000 bells recently...

No, the worst of it is when a villager offers to sell you a piece of artwork... for thousands of bells. I just had one try to sell a painting for 7,000 bells! I've fallen for this sort of trick before, and usually it turns out to be a forgery anyway. They're worse than Redd!

I booted Rasher out for taking my coelacanth, for a stupid shirt.
I only said yes to the trade, because I didn't think he'd be that big of a jerk to actually TAKE my coelacanth. :-/

Last edited:
My villagers can sniff out when I have customized furniture >.> I hate telling them no ;~; but when I do let them have it I later see it in Retail a few days later.. like WHY ASK FOR IT THEN?!?! >.> ughhh!!!

I hate when they sell you a forged painting, which is why I never buy them anymore.

If they want one of my items - fine - then offer me furniture that?s not in my catalog!

Otherwise - ugh - such unfair ?bartering?.

I hate when they sell you a forged painting, which is why I never buy them anymore.

It's bad enough they even have forgery in an AC game. :-/

Oh my gosh buying forged painting is the worst. At with Redd, you can see if you are getting ripped off, with the villagers, you don't know what you are getting until you buy it. Bunch of con artists!!!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Nice new winter paths! They blend in greatly with the snow! :D

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
I only said yes to the trade, because I didn't think he'd be that big of a jerk to actually TAKE my coelacanth. :-/

lol dude same thing happened to me. I caught my first coelacanth and was super excited. I was going to take it straight to the museum and I was thinking 'you know it would suck if someone pinged me right now' And sure enough of my villagers pinged me. Yup it was for the rarer fish and they wanted to give me a (probably 300 bell) shirt for it.

I said no of course and then proceeded to hit them with my hammer and net. That's like me running up to someone who just won the lottery and then asking if they want my half drank soda for it.

Villagers are just either really bad at math, or they think the simplest things are worth way more than they paid for it. Who can blame 'em though. They're AI after all haha, they really don't know any better. The villagers in animal crossing are quite infamous for being dim witted, and sometimes dumb. Especially when they ask for things like fruit when a fruit tree is right next to them.

Last edited:

Huh? I'm kinda confused, you said yes to the trade, and so the trade went through. I don't know why youre angry at Rasher unless I'm missing something ;o;

Huh? I'm kinda confused, you said yes to the trade, and so the trade went through. I don't know why youre angry at Rasher unless I'm missing something ;o;

I don't know why you're confused. It's right there in my post -> I only said yes to the trade, because I didn't think he'd be that big of a jerk to actually TAKE my coelacanth.

I don't know why you're confused. It's right there in my post -> I only said yes to the trade, because I didn't think he'd be that big of a jerk to actually TAKE my coelacanth.

I'm confused because it seemed like you were blaming the game even though you made the choice to say yes, but expected the game/character to not work how it should. I thought you just worded it oddly or if I misread it. I was hoping for you to elaborate so i could see what happened and how you could prevent it :0 But if it's exactly how I see it, then the error is on your part, not the game's or Rasher.

I'm confused because it seemed like you were blaming the game even though you made the choice to say yes, but expected the game/character to not work how it should. I thought you just worded it oddly or if I misread it. I was hoping for you to elaborate so i could see what happened and how you could prevent it :0 But if it's exactly how I see it, then the error is on your part, not the game's or Rasher.

I'm not blaming the game!
I'm not even complaining!
The title of the thread is about being conned by villagers in trades.

I posted my trade experience like everyone else.

I actually thought it was funny.
There was no blaming the game.
I love the game.
That's why I'm here.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Wolfgang sold me a forgery! ^_^

Back