Oops I'm resetting again

squidpops

🌈🌴🍯
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
4283-9990-2999
I think I take this game too seriously. It's supposed to be a fun, relaxing little game and I keep turning it into the total opposite, a perfectionist controlling disaster. I get too worked up over where villagers go and when things don't turn out how I want them in town, I refuse to accept anything less than..'perfection'. I'm too focused on where every little thing needs to be and about rushing through everyday, going through multiple game days in one real day just to get my town to a finished status. And I think that's what is ruining the game for me, it's become a chore and frustrating to play when it really shouldn't be.

So I'm resetting my town once more. Perhaps I should take a break off of the game for a month or so, or just not play everyday? We'll see. With that said, I'm not taking anything to my new town. Including tools, bells, clothes, etc. I'll start it completely fresh and new, maybe working towards everything again will help me not strive for 'perfection', because I won't have anything to help me achieve that nor will I have everything ready at hand.

Okay that long winded speech is over phew.
Wish me luck with my new town! Hopefully third times the charm is for real. Whenever I make it that is, still deciding on a name and stuff. Should I keep it the same maybe? I do really like the name Toby and Honeydew..

EDIT: also I just realized this might sound very similar to my first post I made about resetting? Maybe I'm not sure. But they both have the same..feelings I guess and reasons as to why I'm resetting again. Because I made the same mistakes in this town as I did in my first one. xx

Last edited:
As long as you're sure you want to. It sounds like you put a lot of work into it.
There's nothing wrong with being a perfectionist, as long as you don't obsess over things. ^_^

I wish you luck on your new town, and/or your break.
A new start either way, could be just what you need. ^_^

Last edited:
I notice a lot of people are like this...I kind of just accept the idiosyncrasies all over my village but some days it's hard for me too, especially when I see such nice towns...kind of just makes me want to reset. I still have the same town since literally 2014 tho lol.

I feel like for people who are perfectionists or have had their feel for the game naturally, why not try another approach and mess around with hacking to have your town exactly the way you envision?
Maybe a little time with that and you'll want to experience the game all over again in its natural raw "how its suppose to be played" form.
MischaCrosssing has a bunch of videos/tutorials on youtube showing how to hack your town properly.

I wish you "fun" and "relaxation!"

Thank you!

- - - Post Merge - - -

As long as you're sure you want to. It sounds like you put a lot of work into it.
There's nothing wrong with being a perfectionist, as long as you don't obssess over things. ^_^

I wish you luck on your new town, and/or your break.
A new start either way, could be just what you need. ^_^

I really am sure, I've already deleted it (not sold since I wanted completely new start). I did put work into it but yeah I was very obsessed with it being finished and perfect and I kept trying to achieve the unachieveable. Thank you for your well wishes :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I notice a lot of people are like this...I kind of just accept the idiosyncrasies all over my village but some days it's hard for me too, especially when I see such nice towns...kind of just makes me want to reset. I still have the same town since literally 2014 tho lol.

I feel like for people who are perfectionists or have had their feel for the game naturally, why not try another approach and mess around with hacking to have your town exactly the way you envision?
Maybe a little time with that and you'll want to experience the game all over again in its natural raw "how its suppose to be played" form.
MischaCrosssing has a bunch of videos/tutorials on youtube showing how to hack your town properly.

Yeah it's something I've noticed as well! It's understandable, a free roam game that you can customize to pretty much any extent you want? Yeah people are gonna want it to be up to their standards and make it fit their visions. It just became a point of over control for me though, everything was planned and perfected and redone over and over and it's honestly so frustrating because I'm forever changing my mind on how I want things.

I wish I could hack! Unfortunately my laptop's sd card slot thing doesn't fit my ds sd card in it :( Oh well, maybe someday!

I was the same waysort of. I never did the planning of where villagers went, or landscaping, still don’t. But I became obsessed with getting so may items via trade. So on and so forth. And because of my OCDit was getting too much, I stopped playing. That was in 2014. Now I got back into it, but apart from trying to get a couple of things I am trying not to obsess and get so much up on getting stuff, except for random stuff later on.

I was the same waysort of. I never did the planning of where villagers went, or landscaping, still don’t. But I became obsessed with getting so may items via trade. So on and so forth. And because of my OCDit was getting too much, I stopped playing. That was in 2014. Now I got back into it, but apart from trying to get a couple of things I am trying not to obsess and get so much up on getting stuff, except for random stuff later on.

I get what you mean! It's so easy to focus on something like collecting in the game, whether that be items or flowers or villagers. You start to think you have to get this and this and everything of this series and so on that it just gets less enjoyable as time goes on and starts becoming a repetitive cycle of never-ending collecting. I'm going to try to not obsess on that too, for me it's mainly villagers like I always try to get 'good' villagers, 'cute' ones and in the right spots too etc but I'm tired of that and just want to go with the flow of the game, and not try to hold on to villagers forever, just let them go when they want so I can get new ones and see new faces.

This game is anything but relaxing. I'm sorry but it's true. Like when you want to build that tower in a spot you want but instead:

23131595_366100457165565_1741839140976424658_n.jpg

23130500_366100367165574_1201860304890033433_n.jpg

23031553_366100260498918_1035347438227264082_n.jpg

Congrats! I wish you luck on your new adventure! B)
But something to keep in mind: Definitely try to take your time and play at your own pace, but also try to keep actively changing/adding to the town. I would get bored and tired in my old towns because I never really did anything with the town (ie putting down patterns, etc)

You don't necessarily need a theme, in fact you can let your experience decide for you! Chuggaconroy did a play-through of the game where he'd pick and place PWP's based on his experiences with the villagers. (though it was primarily viewer suggestions, it's still the same idea!)
Like putting a "yield" sign (or do-not-enter, i dont remember) in front of Shari's house because he time-traveled before Shari moved-in and the experience he had with her was that she was some kind of emotionless enigma born from that time jump.

As time goes on you could start to develop a story/history for your town and a theme might eventually fall into place!

It'd be a really fun and loose way to build your town I think! It can feel more personal too. You won't have to stress too much about figuring out a theme, where everything should go, etc. Personally I would do this if I had a second copy ;v; Have fun!

Last edited:
This game is anything but relaxing. I'm sorry but it's true. Like when you want to build that tower in a spot you want but instead:

View attachment 212586

View attachment 212587

View attachment 212588

LOL yeah placement of things is annoying in this game, like Isabelle maybe you can just move the stupid useless rock instead?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Congrats! I wish you luck on your new adventure! B)
But something to keep in mind: Definitely try to take your time and play at your own pace, but also try to keep actively changing/adding to the town. I would get bored and tired in my old towns because I never really did anything with the town (ie putting down patterns, etc)

You don't necessarily need a theme, in fact you can let your experience decide for you! Chuggaconroy did a play-through of the game where he'd pick and place PWP's based on his experiences with the villagers. (though it was primarily viewer suggestions, it's still the same idea!)
Like putting a "yield" sign (or do-not-enter, i dont remember) in front of Shari's house because he time-traveled before Shari moved-in and the experience he had with her was that she was some kind of emotionless enigma born from that time jump.

As time goes on you could start to develop a story/history for your town and a theme might eventually fall into place!

It'd be a really fun and loose way to build your town I think! It can feel more personal too. You won't have to stress too much about figuring out a theme, where everything should go, etc. Personally I would do this if I had a second copy ;v; Have fun!

You know that's actually a really good idea, thank you! I mean I kind of already make up stories for my villagers about why do they do certain things etc so themeing my town around the experiences shoudln't be too hard. I'll keep the pwp thing in mind too, this time around since I've just deleted instead of sold the town I have to work for pwps again anyway so not having them all available will definitely keep me from setting a strict theme and trying to stick with it.

I've also started my new town now! I like it so far, it's got pears as the native fruit which wouldn't be my first choice but it's different and new so I like it. As far as starting villagers go, they aren't 'cute' (except Tipper omg <3) or popular which I find refreshing, I only map reset once because the first choice of maps had retail all super far from the docks, the only thing I was looking for was a retail close to the dock and I found that in the next set of maps so I went with it. I'll post a few pics in a bit!

Last edited:
25348789_1773987619569891_4651003536017705412_n_waifu2x_art_noise3_scale_tta_1.jpg
hdtrhrsh.jpg

Here's those pics I mentioned earlier!

M?in?ir is Irish Gaelic for meadow. At least that?s what google told me.
I?m loosely basing this town off of my favorite childhood book ?The Poky Little Puppy? so I named my mayor Poky, hence why the town name is 'meadow' since a meadow is a main setting in the book.

I set my game to April next year because I wanted a bright cheerful beginning, not a washed out colorless one. I will probably time travel back to real time when it?s January irl next year but that's the only time traveling I'll do! My starting villagers are all new to me, minus Sally and Tipper. I already like Gabi, thought she was a boy at first though whoops lol.

And there's my map! The only patterns I have put on the ground is around my immediate house area (just in front), by the peaches Isabelle gave me and directly by the bridge so a house doesn't block it. I'll leave this thread alone now so as to not keep it on the front all the time. Cheers to a new town! third times the charm eh? :p

I feel like perhaps you should take a break from the game for a month or so. While i'm still a perfectionist, I used to be a frequent time traveler, and time travelling can make you pretty burned out, so maybe leaving for a little bit can help you to come back with a fresh perspective. I know I left my game for 2 months, and after not looking at my town for two months I came back with a lot of inspiration for what to do with my town. Just keep in mind that no town is ever perfect, and everybody has areas that they don't like about their town but you can always fix it to your liking, that's the great thing. I also recommend if you're going to reset taking the time to choose the right map for you, so you're less likely to reset since you'd have spent so much time looking for the perfect town. Also maybe even taking the game one day at a time will be more helpful for you? Since you can only do so much in a day.

EDIT: Congrats on the new town!

Last edited:
I have done the same. I have multiple towns and just keep the ones that somehow manage to engage me. The rest get reset, because I like resetting for something new when I get bored. No shame in that. Don't get down on things when you reset, maybe the next town will be THE town. I do hope this newest one works out for you and that you have a great time playing - and if you reset, you reset, no worries.

p.s. I loved the Poky Little Puppy too :)

I feel like perhaps you should take a break from the game for a month or so. While i'm still a perfectionist, I used to be a frequent time traveler, and time travelling can make you pretty burned out, so maybe leaving for a little bit can help you to come back with a fresh perspective. I know I left my game for 2 months, and after not looking at my town for two months I came back with a lot of inspiration for what to do with my town. Just keep in mind that no town is ever perfect, and everybody has areas that they don't like about their town but you can always fix it to your liking, that's the great thing. I also recommend if you're going to reset taking the time to choose the right map for you, so you're less likely to reset since you'd have spent so much time looking for the perfect town. Also maybe even taking the game one day at a time will be more helpful for you? Since you can only do so much in a day.

EDIT: Congrats on the new town!

Honestly I would take a break but I know if I do I will never pick up the game again, just based off of past experiences with games, it's just how I am xx (rip pokemon sun, never to be played again after I 'beat' it bc I'm not motivated for it). So I keep playing because I still enjoy it and don't want to just forget about it. Also it was never really the map itself that bothered me, I could work around rocks or weird river bends or what have you, but that's the problem is I kept changing my mind and control every aspect of it trying to make it perfect, which just isn't possible for me. I would see dozens of beautiful towns by other people and get so caught up on them that I forgot not every town needs to be done like that, or even done the same idk it's bit hard to explain. I do plan on one day at a time though! No more time traveling for me.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I have done the same. I have multiple towns and just keep the ones that somehow manage to engage me. The rest get reset, because I like resetting for something new when I get bored. No shame in that. Don't get down on things when you reset, maybe the next town will be THE town. I do hope this newest one works out for you and that you have a great time playing - and if you reset, you reset, no worries.

p.s. I loved the Poky Little Puppy too :)

Thanks for your encouraging words! It's definitely something to keep in mind :) Maybe I won't ever find/make the right town but that's okay, I'll just go with what I have for now and see how it develops along the line.

It was such a cute little book! haha I was thinking of trying to get Bones in town, at least for a little while, to represent the main character.

Thanks for your encouraging words! It's definitely something to keep in mind :) Maybe I won't ever find/make the right town but that's okay, I'll just go with what I have for now and see how it develops along the line.

It was such a cute little book! haha I was thinking of trying to get Bones in town, at least for a little while, to represent the main character.

OMG Bones would be PERFECT! I love him!! And he's soooo much like the poky little puppy! I've been hoping to have him come to one of my towns. Maybe then I wouldn't reset whichever town he settles in lol.

OMG Bones would be PERFECT! I love him!! And he's soooo much like the poky little puppy! I've been hoping to have him come to one of my towns. Maybe then I wouldn't reset whichever town he settles in lol.

Right?! His personality being lazy and his looks is so spot on! I'm going to keep an eye on the forums and other places to hopefully get him :)

Last edited:
Back