• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Going away for a long time/Vacation mode in Welcome Amiibo update

Baroque

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
So, a while ago, I took, like, a 2 month break from Animal Crossing because I was just a bit burnt out. So when I came back, I was really scared that all my villagers were gonna be shuffled or something, which would have been a pain. However, on that occasion, no one had moved at all...

So my question is, is it possible that Nintendo integrated a kind of "vacation mode" where, if you're absent for a really long time, villagers won't have moved? Has anyone been through this? A few Google searches haven't really revealed anything coherent on the matter...

The game can only process one move-in or move-out at a time. The fear that many people seem to have about coming back to a town where they don't know anyone is actually impossible- no more than one villager can move without you loading up the game. I don't know the details about villager behavior, but it may be that you just got lucky. No one wanted to move while you were gone.

Hmm, I suppose that's possible... It would be unfortunate, though, since a vacation mode would be essentially the most useful thing :/

I guess the closest thing is when you know you'll quit playing for a while and you check until you find a villager who pings you to tell you that they are planning on moving on whatever date and then you can deny the request and log off. Whenever you return no one should have moved out. I've taken breaks and done that method which I read about in various threads posted in this forum. I haven't had anyone move out when I've been diligent about checking and then denying the request to move out. It would be loads easier if Nintendo implemented a "vacation mode" button or something similar, of course.

Yeah, a vacation mode is really necessary right now, I'm going away for three weeks and I don't really want to bring my game with me. I will try talking to them all and hope for the best that when I get back, no one has left. This thread was really helpful for me.

I actually believe in this theory -

I have multiple towns and was away from all of them.
I did TT to the time/date I thought it *might* be in each town.

No one moved away. No one!!

I can not confirm this with absolute ?proof? but I do think somehow the game mechanics have improved after the update.
More research is needed - proceed with caution!!!

I actually believe in this theory -

I have multiple towns and was away from all of them.
I did TT to the time/date I thought it *might* be in each town.

No one moved away. No one!!

I can not confirm this with absolute “proof” but I do think somehow the game mechanics have improved after the update.
More research is needed - proceed with caution!!!

Basically my experience as well... Since I ran into another bit of burnout, I stopped playing a few week back and since my catalogue of unplayed games has been increasing dangerously in the past few months, I'm probably not gonna pick it up until much later.

I believe that, if Isabelle greets us with 'You've been gone for a while, everybody was wondering where you were!' it might mean that no one moved. Though, again, just a theory ^^'

Last edited:
Basically my experience as well... Since I ran into another bit of burnout, I stopped playing a few week back and since my catalogue of unplayed games has been increasing dangerously in the past few months, I'm probably not gonna pick it up until much later.

I believe that, if Isabelle greets us with 'You've been gone for a while, everybody was wondering where you were!' it might mean that no one moved. Though, again, just a theory ^^'

Isabelle has said that in two of my spare towns that I didn't play. Walked around town an a villager moved out. Another town a villager was in boxes.

In my real towns I just stop a mover before taking a break. Mark the date down and than load it on that day or the date Isabelle says it is. Make sure to talk to all ten villagers to get the where have you been. Get enough rumor talk or rumor someone is trying to skip town. I've been playing since release and haven't lost a villager using this method in my real towns. Spare towns I don't worry about. In my spare towns they can move out if they want to.

In the next game they need to add vacation to the game or just stop the villager from moving. Let us decide who moves.

Last edited:
Back