• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

But WHY?!

PrettyPixelz

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I need to vent for a second about the "random housing placement" mechanic in New Leaf.

Now, I had JUST planted all these tightly packed trees surrounding my campsite. It's in a very secluded area, and I wanted it to look all wooded and cozy like a campsite should. I was going to plant rows of hedges leading up to it surrounded by fruit trees and my hybrid flowers. I had it all planned out, and it was going to be perfect. UNTIL...

COOKIE moved in and decided to place her house no more than two spaces from the right-hand side of my campsite, effectively destroying several of my beautiful trees in the process! I have NO trees anywhere else in my town, mind you. She could have gone literally anywhere else and I would have been fine with it. But no. She had to be RIGHT smack-dab in the middle of my project. My pride and joy. My hopes and dreams, dashed forever (or at least until she leaves, but who knows how long that'll take).

It's just so frustrating! They give you all this freedom to make your town interesting, but then it can all be destroyed in an instant. Stuff like this really kills the fun for me sometimes. I hope they fix this in future Animal Crossing games...

I hear ya!
I picked up Butch from someone's void, and he took out my plantation (RIP) which ended up being a good thing, because I discovered plot resetting, and lined four villagers houses in a row, like a block of garden flats.

I've had them block my bridges, move in front of me...
You name it..
They destroyed it.

Surely the game knows we have plants and what-not.
It can't distinguish trees, bushes and flowers, from empty plots? o_O

Remember you can always lay down paths in areas where you don't want villagers as long as you do it large enough for them not to move in :) If you have amiibos that give you villagers, or amiibo cards you can always boot cookie (they will pick another place if you path around their house) and invite someone else, or move cookie out and if you you have its amiibo card move her in again after they moved out.

I feel ya. I started a new town, found the perfect spot for my house and the very next day Walker moved directly in front of me, blocking my cute little house. I would have loved to have him in my town, but he had to go.

Ugh I'm sorry that happened to you. This game almost ALWAYS plots villagers where you DON'T want them, effectively messing up everything. That's one of the things about this game that I can't stand. That and villagers that are in the way never leaving.

Hopefully Cookie won't stay too long and once she moves out, you can try to salvage the damage she caused. Also place paths down where you don't want villagers to move, and plot reset. If you have less than 10 villagers and if someone visits you or you visit them, plot reset for a couple of days afterward just to make sure you didn't pick up a void.

Yeah, I'm sorry that happened to you. It's one of my biggest fears because I am about to "kick someone out" of my very developed town and I don't have the energy to lay down paths all over the place. Sooo....

I'm thankful, Sheila, for this: (they will pick another place if you path around their house). I never saw that in any other thread about moving in amiibo villagers. That I have the energy for!

I know how you feel. I'm pretty sure Kabuki moved in on top of a couple of my perfect apple trees. But he does look very cosy, tucked away in the orchard like he is. :)

Yeah, I'm sorry that happened to you. It's one of my biggest fears because I am about to "kick someone out" of my very developed town and I don't have the energy to lay down paths all over the place. Sooo....

I'm thankful, Sheila, for this: (they will pick another place if you path around their house). I never saw that in any other thread about moving in amiibo villagers. That I have the energy for!

Yeah, since a house has its measurement square grid thing, I don't think they can move to the same spot if you path around it since it will count as too little space etc.

"Plot reset" and "void" are foreign terms to me. I guess I have much to learn! I will look into ways of controlling where my villagers place their houses. Cookie did, in fact, come from my friend's town. We play together sometimes, and I've picked up two of her villagers now, Cookie and Monique.

Last edited:
Yeah it does suck. But at least with the updated ability to put down path codes where you don't want a house, it's easier to be safe now. If I'm working on a project and I know there is a chance of getting a villager, you bet I'm going to be putting a ton of squares down until I know it's safe enough to kick them back up.

"Plot reset" and "void" are foreign terms to me. I guess I have much to learn! I will look into ways of controlling where my villagers place their houses. Cookie did, in fact, come from my friend's town. We play together sometimes, and I've picked up two of her villagers now, Cookie and Monique.

Yep, there's where the void comes in. If you have less than 10 villagers and visits someone who had a villager move out, chances are you will get theirs. So yeah make sure they haven't moved someone out recently, or get up to 10 before visiting :)

ahh I'm sorry, villagers moving into bad places is the worst :-(
recently i picked up Pekoe from someone's void and she moved right in front of a bridge, it annoys me so bad whenever I walk past her house omg

And yeah the "void" being where villagers go to when they move out into "space" so if you had someone moved out and someone with less than 10 visits they have a chance of getting that villager.

Let Cookie live. She just wants to keep your campers company. ;)

Let Cookie live. She just wants to keep your campers company. ;)

EAT COOKIES FOR WORLD PEACE.

Lmao, I've been close to letting dumb plotters stay but yeah in the end I had to let them go which kinda sucks but yeah I gotta be more careful too so I don't forget to path x.x

EAT COOKIES FOR WORLD PEACE.

Lmao, I've been close to letting dumb plotters stay but yeah in the end I had to let them go which kinda sucks but yeah I gotta be more careful too so I don't forget to path x.x
Well, I'll admit I'm slightly biased. In all honesty, Cookie could build her house over the town tree and I still wouldn't have the heart to tell her to buzz off! :rolleyes:

Back