• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Moving out amiibo card villagers

Elamys

vocaloid trash
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I tried to do some googling on this subject and couldn't find anything newer than 2016 so I was hoping I could find some more recent insight.

I cannot get the villagers I scanned in with amiibo cards to leave. At all.

Right now I have 10 villagers in my town. 3 of them were scanned in - Stitches, Goldie, and Wolf Link, for fun. The other 7 moved in either normally or were adopted from other towns.

For a week now (IRL time) I have been struggling to get one of them to move (preferably Stitches as his house is in an awful location). I have made him my absolute best friend. In fact, I'm friends with all three. But NONE of them have ever once pinged me to leave, ever.

I don't know what to do anymore. And before it is suggested to me yet again I cannot just kick them out with another amiibo, I need the spaces for my dreamies, whose cards I don't have.

This is really destroying my enjoyment of the game. I feel like I'm forced to buy the cards for my last 3 dreamies. And I've encountered plenty of people who have the same issue and yet there's just as many people saying scanned villagers ask to move out just as much as other villagers.

What I'm doing right now is TTing 3 days at a time, then going one day at a time until I get a moving ping. I've gone through a year's worth of in game time about by now and yet none of them will leave. And I lost Tangy doing this.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat.
I didn't know when I first scanned in an amiibo, that they wouldn't ping to move for almost an entire year.

Only my normal, non amiibo villagers pinged to move.

Eight months went by, and one of my 8 amiibo villagers pinged to move. Mathilda.
I couldn't believe it.

Then it went back to the way it was.
The only way to get consistant pings from amiibo's, is to have an all-amiibo town.

Yes, if you have 9, you will get pings, but every second ping will be from your non amiibo.

My town was ruined, so I looked at it differently. I got rid of EVERYONE, and learned how to plot reset. I hadn't been doing that previously.

Now I have ten amiibo's, exactly where I want them.

It was a better solution than deleting my town.

Nintendo shouldn't have made it so difficult, but if you plot the ones you want, WHERE you want, it's tolerable.

I was so angry at first, now I'm (finally) happy with my all-amiibo town. ^_^

That's not even remotely an option for me :/ cards are nearly impossible to find, especially where I live. And I don't have the money to spare on them right now either. Ugh. I don't want to delete my town over these stupid villagers. I worked really hard to collect all the dreamies I have.

I was the same. Really!
I made myself sick over it, but with some helpful advice from the people here, I started to look at things in a more positive light.

I found quite a few amiibo cards on Ebay. Some people sell them for an absurdly high price, but sometimes you'll stumble onto a bargain. A couple of bucks.

It's worth it in the end.
Just hang in there!

Ah that sucks . That's really the only reason I don't scan Amiibo Villagers in. The only one I have done it with was Amelia and that was before I found out about that. Now I'm just hoping she does end up pining to move cause I think I'm the only person ever to let my Dreamies move out and have new Villagers move in that may not be one of my dreamies. I really hope that everything works out for you and maybe one day you'll get Tangy back.

Really? That's weird... I'm pretty sure Amiibo Move-ins can move out.. In my case, Chief pinged to move out 3 times. Just keep trying! :)

Really? That's weird... I'm pretty sure Amiibo Move-ins can move out.. In my case, Chief pinged to move out 3 times. Just keep trying! :)

Yep, but it takes a very long time. Unless you have 9 amiibo's, then every second move-out ping will be from one.

The problem is, if you let the 9th amiibo move out, and a regular villager moves in, then the pings to move will alternate between those two non amiibo's.

They will ping, but with me, I had 7 amiibo's, and 3 normals, and it took nearly 8 months for an amiibo to ping. When she moved out, I invited Skye from the campsite to move in, so it was 2 normals, and 8 amiibo's.

The amiibo's never pinged again. That's when I got rid of everyone. Even Wolfgang. I moved them back in via plot resetting, to where I wanted them, and I'm happy now.

Yep, but it takes a very long time. Unless you have 9 amiibo's, then every second move-out ping will be from one.

The problem is, if you let the 9th amiibo move out, and a regular villager moves in, then the pings to move will alternate between those two non amiibo's.

They will ping, but with me, I had 7 amiibo's, and 3 normals, and it took nearly 8 months for an amiibo to ping. When she moved out, I invited Skye from the campsite to move in, so it was 2 normals, and 8 amiibo's.

The amiibo's never pinged again. That's when I got rid of everyone. Even Wolfgang. I moved them back in via plot resetting, to where I wanted them, and I'm happy now.

Oh? That's odd. I've only had 2 Amiibo Move-ins (Marina & Chief), the rest were natural move-ins. Chief pinged quite early on before & after Lucky and Daisy, within 3 weeks of staying in my town. o-o

You're lucky!
I kept replacing amiibo's who had moved into terrible spots before I knew how to plot reset. Then I'd destroy more of my town by moving in another.

It just got worse, and worse, until I got rid of them all, and scanned in who I wanted, and plot reset them. ^_^

It was a case of 'If you can't beat 'em. JOIN 'em!'

Last edited:
Oh? That's odd. I've only had 2 Amiibo Move-ins (Marina & Chief), the rest were natural move-ins. Chief pinged quite early on before & after Lucky and Daisy, within 3 weeks of staying in my town. o-o

See, this is why I'm so confused why it's so easy for some and almost impossible for others. I tried also making a new villager, talking to them once and ignoring them, but that didn't work like it does for other villagers. It's a little ridiculous and suspect that of 10 villagers, 3 of them have never once pinged out of a year's worth of in-game time.

Last edited:
Honestly dear, I had the exact same problem.

I had three non amiibo's who pinged to move, in order too! The same three for eight months.

I couldn't believe it when amiibo Mathilda pinged after 8 months!

I guess I should have mentioned the other problem is that Stitches's house is in a really bad spot (crammed between Lolly's and a pond, with 1 square of space on each side). So even if I just tolerated his existence in the town, i'm always going to have to deal with that awful, awful house placement. I think I'm just going to restart.

No, don't!
You CAN fix it!
I had them each side of me, behind, AND in front of me.
Just lay patterns everywhere, and leave a couple of 3x3, plus a door space ->

XXX
XXX
XXX
X (Can't seem to centre that!)

Boot stitches out, and plot reset another one until they move where you want them.

When they DO move out, put patterns or a small PWP where their house was.

Honestly, my town was a wreck.
Now it's plotted perfectly.
Remember, I had 7 amiibo's.

I have all amiibo's now, but it's who I like, and where I want them.
Yes, you will have to shuffle a few move-in's before your town is back to where the bad plotted villagers spots are vacant, but if you invest in the cards of the villagers you really want, then you CAN salvage your town.

To think.. I was so close to deleting it all.

Please reconsider! ^_^

Last edited:
so if i, say, deleted one of my human villagers, scanned in rosie, then did the plot reset thing, i can get her out of that spot? because i was scanning in villagers before to try and get the house out of there, but they kept plotting into the exact same location. But I've never plot reset before. If I can do that then maybe I will keep it. I have my entire town covered with patterns so I have a spot prepared for it already.

Last edited:
No, don't!
You CAN fix it!
I had them each side of me, behind, AND in front of me.
Just lay patterns everywhere, and leave a couple of 3x3, plus a door space ->

XXX
XXX
XXX
X (Can't seem to centre that!)

Boot stitches out, and plot reset another one until they move where you want them.

When they DO move out, put patterns or a small PWP where their house was.

Honestly, my town was a wreck.
Now it's plotted perfectly.
Remember, I had 7 amiibo's.

I have all amiibo's now, but it's who I like, and where I want them.
Yes, you will have to shuffle a few move-in's before your town is back to where the bad plotted villagers spots are vacant, but if you invest in the cards of the villagers you really want, then you CAN salvage your town.

To think.. I was so close to deleting it all.

Please reconsider! ^_^

use dots to locate them like this
xxx
xxx
xxx
..x..

so if i, say, deleted one of my human villagers, scanned in rosie, then did the plot reset thing, i can get her out of that spot? because i was scanning in villagers before to try and get the house out of there, but they kept plotting into the exact same location. But I've never plot reset before. If I can do that then maybe I will keep it. I have my entire town covered with patterns so I have a spot prepared for it already.

If she's already there, you'd need to boot her out, and replace her, temporarily.
Then use her card to boot the new temporary villager out, and plot reset Rosie after scanning her, and making sure the plot she was in before is covered in patterns.

Plot Resetting Guide.

Your town CAN be saved. ^_^

use dots to locate them like this
xxx
xxx
xxx
..x..

Ahh, ok. Never thought of that!
I'm on a mobile, lol

Last edited:
I had to have 8 amiibo card villagers before any of them would bother to ping to move out. Fortunately, I bought the Japanese Sanrio set a good while ago, and had a lot of series 1 cards. However, this little quirk is still pretty annoying.

I think the mindset was that you paid actual money for the villager, and it would be pretty upsetting if they moved out.

I had to have 8 amiibo card villagers before any of them would bother to ping to move out. Fortunately, I bought the Japanese Sanrio set a good while ago, and had a lot of series 1 cards. However, this little quirk is still pretty annoying.

I think the mindset was that you paid actual money for the villager, and it would be pretty upsetting if they moved out.

How hard would it have been for Nintendo to have an option when you scan an amiibo, to set it to 'permanent resident', and an option to undo that.

Can ping to move? YES or NO?
Simple. ^_^

There's just been so much grief over this.
I went through almost a year, feeling I was trapped with these villagers, and then I broke out of it.

I certainly wasn't going to delete all of my hard work over it, the unlocking everything, getting another 100 visits to my town to upgrade the station.
That alone put me off deleting my town, so I used more amiibo's to fix it. ^_^

Last edited:

This is a possibility. However, because they will try and try and try to stay in that same spot, it may take you a long time to get it.

I wanted to drop back in and say that after trying for quite some time to plot reset that bad placement, I couldn't get it to move. So, I did end up restarting.

It wasn't all bad, though. I mean, I lost a lot of dreamies. So that sucked. But I actually love my new map, way more than the old one. I was able to put my house at a really lovely spot next to the waterfall. So I'm not too unhappy with the situation. I guess I would just advise caution to those who have a specific vision for their town's villagers but also want to scan in amiibo cards.

I still think amiibos are a fantastic idea for Nintendo, I just hope that in future AC games they polish the idea a bit.

Back