• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Picking Up Seashells OCD - I'm OVER it!

John Wick

๐‘ฉ๐’‚๐’ƒ๐’‚ ๐’€๐’‚๐’ˆ๐’‚ ๐Ÿพ
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Tricolored Puppy Plush
Swamp Potion
Kaleidoclover
Purple Bat Potion
Lucky
Purple Candy
Ancient Candle
Voodoo Doll
Ancient Candle
Green Candy
Everytime shells build up on my beach, I felt compelled to pick them up and put them in the trash.

I don't know why, but after hearing so much about things laying on the ground putting a dent in your perfect town status, I started thinking of them as 'junk'.

It drove me nuts!
Every time I loaded the game, or after playing a while, I'd check the beach to see how the shell situation was.
It was so time consuming.

Then I thought, a few weeks back, that shells BELONG on the beach. So I picked a couple up, so more would take their place, until I had a nice looking mix of coral and other shells.

I haven't picked up a shell for almost a month!

I'm clean! ^_^

Anyone else have that obsession, or a similar one?

I can't stand to have a full inventory. The moment I get something I don't like, it goes in the trash. Having a full inventory stresses me out for some reason.

I can't stand to have a full inventory. The moment I get something I don't like, it goes in the trash. Having a full inventory stresses me out for some reason.

Oh, me too!
I have envelopes with my tools attached.

I get mad as heck when I've cleaned my inventory, and a villager pings me, and forces a shirt on me.

It's back to the house and bin I go! Lol

I don't like anything in my inventory either, I also keep tools attached to my mail. I sell everything I get though, rather than throw it in the trash. Every bell adds up lol.

I don't like anything in my inventory either, I also keep tools attached to my mail. I sell everything I get though, rather than throw it in the trash. Every bell adds up lol.

I would sell the stuff, but I HATE being greeted every single time I enter and leave the shop.
It's like.. HEY, I was just here two minutes ago, Reese.
Do you have amnesia? :D

Same here. I keep my tools and wet suit in top row of mail. The bottom row is in case while Iโ€™m doing my rounds, after visiting the street, I get something Iโ€™m keeping. I sell everything. Any time I pick up shells now is to give me enough bells I wonโ€™t go b4oke going to the island, which is where I earn my bells the most.

The shells never bothered me, I only scan along them to find the giant clam shells and leave all the others, only other time I've removed them was when my beach was stuffed to the gills with flowers and I needed the 1 extra item space. The inventory messes with me too, and I only keep a full inventory when I am trying to get PWP suggestions and it bothers me SO MUCH when I have to do it.

Hehe, that's what I did to get my PWP's. Keep the shells on me until I got a ping. ^_^

I've spent some time picking up shells, only leaving the giant clams on the beach. It took a while, but now when I want to make a music box, I have plenty to do so, without taking up space in my closets.

I've spent some time picking up shells, only leaving the giant clams on the beach. It took a while, but now when I want to make a music box, I have plenty to do so, without taking up space in my closets.

I also keep the giant clams and place them by the cliff. That way whenever I want to make a music box they are always there!

I like to use shells to decorate the beach. My beach has a random island you can only get to with a wet suit and I put a bunch of different kinds of shells on it to make it more colorful. I also dropped a wet suit there because it looks like a treasure chest when it is on the ground. On my main beach, I buried a bunch of shells on the water edge so there are stars lining my beach. I really only pick up shells now if I am looking for some quick bells to buy an item or pwp or upgrade.

How easy is it to grab tools that are attached to your mail? Do you find that it hinders your gameplay? I've never heard of anyone doing this, but it seems very simple and beneficial.

I was cleaning the beach of litter aka shells yesterday and was so pleased with my progress.

Then I saved, had dinner, came back, walked to the beach with a pocket full of posies (roses, actually) and there was a fresh load of shell litter back on the beach. Sigh ;)

shells lying around don't affect the perfect town unless they're not on the beach. shells belong on the beach, so it's ok.

shells lying around don't affect the perfect town unless they're not on the beach. shells belong on the beach, so it's ok.

Yep!
That realization is what made me kick the habit. I have loads more time to just enjoy the game now. ^_^

Thank you for this info - I wasn't aware of this!

Guess I'll have to scrap my plan to decorate my beach ramps with coral if I eventually want a perfect town. A bit of a shame, seeing as there's no way to lay paths on them. Still, better to find this out now than later. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thank you for this info - I wasn't aware of this!

Guess I'll have to scrap my plan to decorate my beach ramps with coral if I eventually want a perfect town. A bit of a shame, seeing as there's no way to lay paths on them. Still, better to find this out now than later. Thanks again!

I helped someone a few months ago - shells are allowed on the ground anywhere are usually do not affect Perfect Town status.

I think you should be able to decorate with coral!

i don't have ocd with anything in the game but that was probably so stressful for ya

It wasn't really an OCD, more of a compulsion. Maybe a slight OCD. :D

I am totally over it. I never have even the slightest urge to pick up a shell!

I have a weird obsession with my amount of bells needing to end in 0 or 5. If it doesn't, I sell something in retail on the flea market that will make my amount even again. Anyone else?

Back