• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What are your holiday traditions?

Adriel

please troll me online
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
2051-0538-4529
title says it all! do you have any holiday traditions you do every year around this time?

Well my holidays traditions have recently changed, more so since I got married last year. Now for Christmas Eve we go to my family's side. Every Christmas Eve we have fish and perogies, sing Christmas carols and open gifts. Since almost all of us are adults we do a simple Chinese gift exchange.

On Christmas morning me and my husband will get up and exchange our gifts. We will get ready and head back to my parents for brunch. Then we meet up with my husband's family, see a movie, then go for a traditional Christmas dinner with his extended family.

Every year, we celebrate the holidays with some of our family members. They stay at our house for about a week, and we get to unwrap the Christmas presents together. After that, we usually go shopping and take a drive around to see the Christmas lights.

I and my family always go to my grandma's house. We go to the Christmas Eve service at her church, and afterward we have lasagna and some other foods and play Christmas music. We also open only one of our presents the night before, and then we open the rest the next morning.

Also, usually the day after (December 26th), we go to the mall and go window/shopping. It's great :D

Most of my family passed away over the last decade.
I have a brother who lives in another state. Either I call him on Christmas Day, or he calls me.

It's just a regular day for me. Maybe a little lonlier without Dad.

Last edited:
All of our "traditions" have died since we are all adults now in my family. But as kids we used to have a bunch of fun ones. We'd open our family presents on Christmas Eve after going Christmas Light viewing and stay up late playing with our new stuff. And then we'd wake up early on Christmas Day and open our stockings and Santa presents then chill all day playing until we had Christmas Dinner in the afternoon. I miss those days. Now we open maybe 1 on Christmas Eve and then Christmas morning-ish, or whenever someone goes and gets my grandma, we open all our presents then have some food and snacks and stuff. (Then I usually sleep because I have to work...)

Not really

Every Christmas eve my mom's side of the family comes over and every Christmas my step-dad's side comes over, but there isn't anything specific we do other than eat.

This year might be different too though, we still don't really know what we're doing.

I have a huge family. We always have a big party about a week before Christmas. There's lots of food, an ornament and book exchange, and last year we started doing the seran wrap ball game. One of my sisters seen it online, and it was so much fun that we're doing it this year too.

I have to work on Christmas this year, but I usually wake up around 5:00 am. and wake up my teen daughter, so we can look at our stockings. Then I make a big yummy breakfast, then we open presents. I'm usually real tired from waking so early, so I take a short nap. Later we play board games and eat snacks.

My family is small to begin with, and my father and both brothers live in Florida (I'm in New England), so it's a quiet gathering.

My sister, her husband, daughter, and I go to my mom and step-father's on Christmas Eve. We have appetizers, visit, and exchange gifts. They all head to Mass and I go home after.

Christmas Day my present is to sleep in and be lazy. I'll talk to my father and brothers, maybe go to a movie, and give the cats any presents my mother got for them. It's one of the few days we close at work, so I take advantage of that.

A friend of mine usually asks me over for dinner, but she's going away to see her daughter this year, so I'll probably get some Chinese and stay in my jammies this year. :)

Before when I lived with my mom (6 years ago) we would go see “pretty lights” (A drive through Christmas light exhibit) in LA. But ever since my son was born and I moved in with my husband (we lived with his parents until this year) they never really celebrated Christmas. So now, we are on our own and we are planning to do Gingerbread house decorations c: And the night before Christmas my son will be able to open a gift with new pajamas and some hot cocoa mix with popcorn and we’ll watch a movie until it’s 12:00 AM or until we all sleep XD Another thing my family did was I would be the “elf” who distributed presents c: Since my son can’t really read (he’s learning though) I’ll be the “elf” and next year he’ll take my role c:

Back