• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Why not "animé"?

AnimalCrossingPerson

Please respect GDPR
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
New Horizons Token
20 Envelopes
Red Candy
Red Candy
Winter Mittens
Lucky
Holiday Candy Cane 2017
Timmy Christmas Doll
New Leaf Token
Isabelle
It bugs me how the E in anime doesn't have an accent despite being pronounced as if it does (caf?, clich? etc.). Why is this?

*asks on here instead of a more suitable place because I can't be bothered going to a different site*

Because the "?", called "l'accent aigu", is French. Anime isn't French as far as I know. Caf? and clich? are French words as well.

Because that’s a little bit too extra

anime is short for animation. also its japanese, not french. thats all there is to it lol

do you guys really still put the accent over the 'e' in 'cafe' there in the UK? it's okay to drop it now, you're brexiting, after all! :p

(as others noted, anime is a Japanese word, so.... but if the British thing to do is to add an accent mark then fwiw i'd say thow [sic] it on there!)

The word anime is a literal translation of "アニメ", which directly reads as "anime". Let's break down what each katakana letter says...

• ア is "a", which Japanese residents typically pronunce as "ah" in a slightly higher pitch
  • ニ is "ni"
  • メ is "me", which Japanese residents says "may" rather than "muh"

While "anim?" would be a more accurate to how Japanese residents would say, any English people not familiar with French or Japanese culture would not pronounce the "m?" part correctly. As such, it's kept "anime" for the sake of consistency to its language of origin.

Fun fact: In Japan, anime is an abbreviation of animation, the latter of which is read as "アニメーション".

If I had to give a real answer, it would be because that special "e" isn't on most American keyboards. Same with Pokemon. The special accent would always get dropped, if it even was originally there to begin with.

not everyone is weeaboo queen of nihon

- - - Post Merge - - -

i thought it was anim for the longest time before i was exposed

Back